List Mgmt. Ablett to move to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm out of the loop as far as this issue goes but I really still am very optimistic that he will stay a cat in 2010. a lot of this is just rumor and media speculation. I admit that yes he has taken a long time to sign and the gc deal is massive anyone would take a look at this deal. just wait it out until he says either way. I can't see him winning a 3rd flag and than the next day announcing a contract with the new gc team. I may be very naive here but Ablett playing against lingy!?!?!? c'mon!

On the last note Liam pickering has a lot to answer for with this issue. I suspect he is the one that is influencing ablett to wait so long so he can get every inch of money out of the gc or the cats.

We're all trying to find someone else to blame because we like Gary and he's ours.

We knew Gary Snr had a couple of kids tearing around Kardinia Park annoying the players.

We watched him running around in the VFL looking like a 12 year old kid, playing as a small forward who averaged 8 possessions a game and couldn't kick straight, wondering if he was going to make it.

We knew he wasn't a great junior player. We listened to people saying they just got him because they wanted to convince Nathan to come to the club.

We saw him start to display moments of raw talent in his second year, perfectly weighted handballs over the top, sharp gathers on the run.

We watched him transform himself into a champion midfielder in 07. No-one had ever found their way out of a pack like this. He took the breath out of our lungs.

We watched him lose his hair and harden into the best player in the competition in 08 and 09. Astonishingly, we started to ask whether he was as good a midfielder as his dad was a forward.

We watched him win two premierships, sob upon losing another, win a Brownlow and every other award there is.

He's probably got 6 or 7 years to go. The last couple he might play out of the goal square, the final chapter in this career that we, as supporters, should have the privilege to follow.

2010. He doesn't just laugh when asked about the Gold Coast and say 'You're kidding, as if I would leave this great club'. He actually takes it seriously when people from this hollow franchise in a city of hollow people - this cynical AFL business venture without so much as a mascot let alone a history and a heart - talk to him, AS IF THERE IS A 'CHOICE' TO MAKE!

I'm afraid it is Gary that is to blame. He is giving this football club, in the middle of its greatest and proudest era, the biggest slap in the face of all.

I don't cheer for Gaz anymore.

We're all trying to find someone else to blame because we like Gary and he's ours.

We knew Gary Snr had a couple of kids tearing around Kardinia Park annoying the players.

We watched him running around in the VFL looking like a 12 year old kid, playing as a small forward who averaged 8 possessions a game and couldn't kick straight, wondering if he was going to make it.

We knew he wasn't a great junior player. We listened to people saying they just got him because they wanted to convince Nathan to come to the club.

We saw him start to display moments of raw talent in his second year, perfectly weighted handballs over the top, sharp gathers on the run.

We watched him transform himself into a champion midfielder in 07. No-one had ever found their way out of a pack like this. He took the breath out of our lungs.

We watched him lose his hair and harden into the best player in the competition in 08 and 09. Astonishingly, we started to ask whether he was as good a midfielder as his dad was a forward.

We watched him win two premierships, sob upon losing another, win a Brownlow and every other award there is.

He's probably got 6 or 7 years to go. The last couple he might play out of the goal square, the final chapter in this career that we, as supporters, should have the privilege to follow.

2010. He doesn't just laugh when asked about the Gold Coast and say 'You're kidding, as if I would leave this great club'. He actually takes it seriously when people from this hollow franchise in a city of hollow people - this cynical AFL business venture without so much as a mascot let alone a history and a heart - talk to him, AS IF THERE IS A 'CHOICE' TO MAKE!

I'm afraid it is Gary that is to blame. He is giving this football club, in the middle of its greatest and proudest era, the biggest slap in the face of all.

I must admit I have to agree with most points here.

The part in bold makes me feel sad :(

It really is Gary's call to make, let's give him a chance though and see if he can come good.

I agree with most points also on this. For the record, I don't believe any deal is done. I've alwys been confident GAJ would stay but I've become more worried of late. I still think GAJ may not even know at the moment what he will do hence the reason I worry with how much influence the media can potentially have if he hasn't made up his mind.
But just one point on Pickering. I too agree I don't think he has managed this very well at all as he has invited this speculation by putting out end dates that then keep moving hence people think he is going. Howrver I must say, for those that think it's wrong that Pickering isn't influencing GAJ to stay at Geelong because Pickering owes Geelong something etc... is just ludicris. Pickering is a player manager. Not a play manager for Geelong and not a Geelong representative. It would be totally wrong for him to influence GAJ on his decision either way. Otherwise imagine how quick Haw would jump on it if he was allowed to influence Buddy to come to Geelong cause Pickers barracks for them or any other player like that he has on his books. He needs to be impartial otherwise he is in conflict with this job.

Sorry to intrude but i would have thought that after all GAJ has done for your club he would be held in the highest reguard even if he leaves. 2 flags, 1 brownlow and several AFLMVPs are a pretty decent legacy and he could yet add to it. Reading some of the post you would almost think the guy has slept with all your wifes and daughters.

Its sad to lose a champion but in saying that he has given so much for you guys what more does he really owe you. Can you really blame the guy for wanting to earn very very good money before his career is over? and remember its his job not his passion.

Haveing never seen my team get close to winning a flag if someone said we would lose our best player after winning one id be sad but still very very happy that he helped acheive this feat.

You guys are probably going to go down as the greatest team ever if you win the flag this year, and GAJ will be one of the main reasons for this.

\\-----------------------------------------------------------------

What if Ablett re-signs with Geelong? Will you cheer him then, you traitor!

I hope he stays, just so I can say "I TOLD YOU SO!"

Sorry to intrude but i would have thought that after all GAJ has done for your club he would be held in the highest reguard even if he leaves. 2 flags, 1 brownlow and several AFLMVPs are a pretty decent legacy and he could yet add to it. Reading some of the post you would almost think the guy has slept with all your wifes and daughters.

Its sad to lose a champion but in saying that he has given so much for you guys what more does he really owe you. Can you really blame the guy for wanting to earn very very good money before his career is over? and remember its his job not his passion.

Haveing never seen my team get close to winning a flag if someone said we would lose our best player after winning one id be sad but still very very happy that he helped acheive this feat.

You guys are probably going to go down as the greatest team ever if you win the flag this year, and GAJ will be one of the main reasons for this.

And why the f^ck do you care? I think it’s extremely bizarre how opposition supporters all of a sudden have this pressing need to tell us how we should be reacting to the possibility of arguably the greatest midfielder in the past decade leaving our club. Tell it to someone who gives a crap and worry about your own mob.

Get back to me when Adam Cooney starts to weigh up moving to GWS/GC for months on end because let’s face it, the Premiership window ship has truly sailed past your bunch of geriatrics and someone like the Coondog deserves better than the failure of a club that is the bulldogs.

If you’re still prepared to spout the same tired cliched rubbish when it affects your club then and only then may I give it some thought.

Reading some of the post you would almost think the guy has slept with all your wifes and daughters.
Pfft it's much more serious than that, 100-fold. :thumbsu:

There are 35 pages of this crap!

The mark of a man is what he does, not what he says (or doesn't say in this instance).

Gary is a Geelong player (and a damn good one at that!). Let's enjoy our team's performance and let next year sort itself out.

The mark of a man is what he does, not what he says (or doesn't say in this instance).

Gary is a Geelong player (and a damn good one at that!). Let's enjoy our team's performance and let next year sort itself out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

100% agree! (I wanted to use a clapping icon to applaud what you said, but I couldn't find one).

100% agree! (I wanted to use a clapping icon to applaud what you said, but I couldn't find one).

Here you go

1.gif

I am sure there will be 35 more in no time as some people have nothing better to do than waste their time with stupid speculation that leads nowhere:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was just wondering what a football internet forum might be about?

Speculating perhaps?

I am somewhat amused by those who come in and have to tell us how beneath them this all is, as they post and post etc and how its all crap etc.

This bit isnt speculating. Gary has done the wrong thing by the club.
Be accountable for it Gaz. Do the right thing. Its not about staying or going. Its simply about respecting the club and everyone else in it who have made sacrifices for you, that have greatly assisted you into this privileged position.

You went and spoke to the GC. That was your choice. Now the club is FORCED to know your position, did you sign with GC or not? If they wait till the end of the season, they risk not signing everyone else on the list currently, they also risk the potential to recruit your replacement, if that need arises. If you are staying, whats the big mystery about then? Are you planning to write a book?

Gary made his choices, now he has to live by them. How is that not fair?

Does anyone seriously think Gary is staying?

Of course he'd put the issue to rest if he'd signed with the Cats. It'd be a very simple announcement. No pressure at all...unlike the alternative.

It's not about us anyway, nor should it be. We should be thankful for the great times we had with him. The money's obviously more important to him than the club. It sucks but football's not pure anymore. Hasn't been for years. It's business and these guys are paid entertainers performing for our money. Loyalty generally only exists these days when players can smell a flag. Gazza sees our window shutting and Gold Coast's opening soon. He's packed his bags.

All we can hope for is adequate compensation.

You went and spoke to the GC. That was your choice. Now the club is FORCED to know your position, did you sign with GC or not? If they wait till the end of the season, they risk not signing everyone else on the list currently, they also risk the potential to recruit your replacement, if that need arises. If you are staying, whats the big mystery about then? Are you planning to write a book?

This. As Tommy Harley suggested - Gary doesn't seem to be willing to deal with the consequences of his decision, whichever way that goes.

I was just wondering what a football internet forum might be about?

Speculating perhaps?

I am somewhat amused by those who come in and have to tell us how beneath them this all is, as they post and post etc and how its all crap etc.

This bit isnt speculating. Gary has done the wrong thing by the club.
Be accountable for it Gaz. Do the right thing. Its not about staying or going. Its simply about respecting the club and everyone else in it who have made sacrifices for you, that have greatly assisted you into this privileged position.

You raise a seriously good point.
Ablett did get "busted", which triggered this whole mess.
He would have been able to deflect a whole lot more easily if he hadn't been sprung coming out of a meeting with GC.
It put us in a terrible situation.
God, I'll be glad when this is over!!

You went and spoke to the GC. That was your choice. Now the club is FORCED to know your position, did you sign with GC or not? If they wait till the end of the season, they risk not signing everyone else on the list currently, they also risk the potential to recruit your replacement, if that need arises.

This is what will annoy me if Gary has signed. If we knew he was leaving we could be putting an offer to Boak or Dangerfield. (preferably Boak!)

This is what will annoy me if Gary has signed. If we knew he was leaving we could be putting an offer to Boak or Dangerfield. (preferably Boak!)

We couldn't put an offer to them could we? As far as I know we are not meant to talk to players during the season. Of course , unofficially we could act in the same way as he has with GC , make a few vague inquiries about the appeal of coming to KP , about his required remuneration etc.

To be honest , I have no believe that we will recruit Dangerfield or Boak if we lose GA so it will not matter if GA tells us or not as far as recruitment goes. The money that they would be offered by us would be minimal compared to some clubs.
And don't forget , after GC , its not over. The GWS will start at us so we best keep our powder dry for when they start shooting at us.

Sad to see supporters turn so quick believing it their right to have him stay.
Was Greg Williams a Blue or Swan?
Was Lockett a Saint or Swan?
Was Merrett a Bomber or Bear?
Was Barrassi a Blue or Dee?
Will Judd be an Eagle or Blue

If Ablett goes remember him as a player who brought you success. Footy is a game and gaz has his future to think about.

Having said that I think staying will still see him a rather wealthy man. Hope he does. GC are going to be a force for a long time and as a proud Hawk I really hope he doesn't make them any stronger.

You're an ALL TIME great. Only other bloke playing right now to be in that category is McLeod. Sorry Juddy but Lil Gazza has you by a stretch.

Of course he'd put the issue to rest if he'd signed with the Cats. It'd be a very simple announcement. No pressure at all...unlike the alternative.

It's not about us anyway, nor should it be. We should be thankful for the great times we had with him. The money's obviously more important to him than the club. It sucks but football's not pure anymore. Hasn't been for years. It's business and these guys are paid entertainers performing for our money. Loyalty generally only exists these days when players can smell a flag. Gazza sees our window shutting and Gold Coast's opening soon. He's packed his bags.

Absolutely spot on :thumbsu:

Neither. He was a Cat. Until he was lured to an interstate club that was throwing money around. Oh... wait. ;)

Originally he was a blue, if I remember right. But the good judges thought that he was too slow. Commentators also said that about Couch, Bartel and Kelly.

I still believe Gary Ablett will stay. Just because he hasn't said anything doesn't mean he is going, it just gives people like us thoughts that he is. I think Ablett is just confused as hell and doesn't know what to do, part of him will want to stay and be loyal and become a true legend at the Cats, the other part of him will be wanting to just take the money and set up his life and family. He's still giving serious thought about it, and i think at the end of this season, he will come out and say that he is staying, i just think right now he still wants that GC option to still be available to him.

Originally he was a blue, if I remember right. But the good judges thought that he was too slow. Commentators also said that about Couch, Bartel and Kelly.

Williams was zoned to Calton , coming from Bendigo. Tried out but was sent away as too slow. I don't think this makes him a Carlton first player. IMO only if they actually play seniors does that make him an ex. just like Ablett Sr was a Hawk player first playing 6 sr games.

For mine a player will be remembered for where ever he is the most dominant. Win a flag or or star at a club and it will be your club linked to you. Williams is interesting he was good for all clubs won MVP for Geelong and Carlton , won a Brownlow for Syd and Carlton but only won a flag for one.
He remembered as a Carlton player because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back