List Mgmt. Ablett to move to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no doubt he has lost some love.
For some reason I don't get all giddy when he gets the ball anymore

Totally agree. This has been a very poor management experience for both Jnr and Pickering. It does look a little like amateur hour. Perhaps his out of football contract dealings are similar?

How is the best player in the game not a marketable subject? The only real marketing I've seen Gary do is the sign on the Melbourne road which is one of Costa's property developments (I think). Surely, he could be marketed more than he currently is?

I just feel the whole saga has drained his marketability, especially in Victoria, which is the largest slice of the AFL market. Secondly, it has definitely put a bit of a blight on the Ablett name at Geelong, as no matter how you look at this (i.e. in a positive or negative light), surely the main factor will remain that it will have a negative impact upon his relationship with the club as it did split their fanbase in two.

I am happy he is at the club, unsure how I'll feel when he leaves.

How is the best player in the game not a marketable subject? The only real marketing I've seen Gary do is the sign on the Melbourne road which is one of Costa's property developments (I think). Surely, he could be marketed more than he currently is?

Did you hear Max markson take Pickers apart on a saturday morning a couple of months back.

"Where are the marketing deals for Buddy and Ablett Liam? Why don't I see them anywhere? You can't even get them on a weaties box. Give them to me and I'll get them deals in 5 minutes"

Or words to that effect. :D

Did you hear Max markson take Pickers apart on a saturday morning a couple of months back.

"Where are the marketing deals for Buddy and Ablett Liam? Why don't I see them anywhere? You can't even get them on a weaties box. Give them to me and I'll get them deals in 5 minutes"

Or words to that effect. :D

Thats a good point!! Especially when you see younger blokes like Selwood being ambassadors for pretty much everything!!

i think only 1 and 5 have all that much clout. reuniting with hinkley would make the move a little more comforatble, but being a foundation member of an AFL club puts him in the illustrious company of andrew wills, stephen o'reilly, scott chisholm, tony delaney, shane breuer, ian downsborough, adam heuskes, ken judge, darren bennett, gerard neesham ... the list goes on.

I hear you but I think there are only 2 fair dinkum AFL foundation clubs. The West Coast and Adelaide. All the other 'new' clubs are bitzers with established supporter bases coming from State league clubs. What separates the GC is that it is not only a club with no established supporter base but it is in a non AFL State.

Reported all over Adelaide that Boak has named his price, and Port are expected to pay.

Sorry boys, really hoping GAblett stays for you lot, Boak would have been a fairly good replacement.

Dangerfield?

Reported all over Adelaide that Boak has named his price, and Port are expected to pay.

Sorry boys, really hoping GAblett stays for you lot, Boak would have been a fairly good replacement.

Dangerfield?

I shall believe it when I see it, but as I said, if it was about money he would stay.

Anyway I'm not fussed, I would have taken either Boak or Dangerfield at the right price but I'm fully confident we have enough class midfielders now, and enough good young players coming through (so long as we can keep them and the salary cap doesn't make us push them out) to cover any loss of Ablett, should he go.

I would love him to stay as much as anyone, but heres something to ponder. We don't miss a beat when he is out. And we will get 2, yes 2, top ten draft pics if he goes. Think about how long it will be and how far we will have to fall to get 2 pics that high.
As far as our football goes, we will go on without him, just like we did when his father retired. You are only in football for a short time so who can blame him. Face it we all would go for the money.
But maybe we should all think of the long term success of the club.

I would love him to stay as much as anyone, but heres something to ponder. We don't miss a beat when he is out. And we will get 2, yes 2, top ten draft pics if he goes. Think about how long it will be and how far we will have to fall to get 2 pics that high.
As far as our football goes, we will go on without him, just like we did when his father retired. You are only in football for a short time so who can blame him. Face it we all would go for the money.
But maybe we should all think of the long term success of the club.

No we won't. We will get first rounders.

Pardon me for my error, we will get three picks inside the top 18. One of our own and two compensation. 3 inside 18 isn't a bad return, no its the best we will get for at least 5 years. Do we want to hit rockbottom before we replentish our talent.
The more i talk about it the better i feel about him going.
If he was staying he would have done it by now, thats the bottom line, forget the hype and crap being spoken.

Pardon me for my error, we will get three picks inside the top 18. One of our own and two compensation. 3 inside 18 isn't a bad return, no its the best we will get for at least 5 years. Do we want to hit rockbottom before we replentish our talent.
The more i talk about it the better i feel about him going.
If he was staying he would have done it by now, thats the bottom line, forget the hype and crap being spoken.

3 inside 18? This is by no means certain. How many other clubs will receive R1 picks. 4? When will they be used. What will be crucial is the predicted depth of the draft at the start of the year , a club must decide to nominate their use. I suspect most clubs will use them when the draft is predicted to be deep and therefore they all get used in the same year.

So it will not be 5,10 and 18. It will more likely be 10 & 2 in the 17-,20 ish range.

We have managed to get some handy players at around the mid teens, hopefully very good players at around this mark but we all know the cream will have been licked up.
If we have a look at a few drafts one may get an idea of what we may get

P10- Melksham
P17-Menzel
P18-Tapscot
P10- Nat Brown
P15- Daniel O'Keefe
P16- Mitchell Brown
P10- Marcus Drum
P16-Douglas
P17-Pfeiffer
P10-Sam Power
P15-Barry Brooks
P16-Rick Ladson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bit naughty turbo, picing the worst 3 from each year. I got the 18 from AFL website. To be acurate list all the picks from 10-18 for those years, i bet there were some handy ones as well. And remember its Geelong doing the pics not Richmond. We have a pretty good record.

bit naughty turbo, picing the worst 3 from each year. I got the 18 from AFL website. To be acurate list all the picks from 10-18 for those years, i bet there were some handy ones as well. And remember its Geelong doing the pics not Richmond. We have a pretty good record.

Lets be honest, if one of those three picks turned out to be half as good as Gary then it would be a good draft. Odds are we will go ok, but nothing great. I'd prefer Gary thanks

As far as 18 goes , no one really knows what the picks are worth , not even the AFL. The best outcome is we can get is a pick after our R1 pick plus a pick after all the non finalists so if we nominate at the start of 2012 and we finish last and there are no other teams that nominate that year , we could have picks 1,2 and 12. Unlikely but possible

But if we finish top (Premiers) and there are 2 other clubs who also get this top level compensation and use them the same year then we could have picks 14,23,24.As good as Wells is , I don't see us picking up an instant gun kid with these picks. We would get talented kids like a Duncan , maybe better , but kids that need time , years infact , to develop to their best.Really , its just too unclear as to what the compensation will eventually be.

Yes , I could have cherry picked some names and made a better case for your point but my point is even 3 picks in the top 18 is no lock to get a parity with a player of Abletts quality. Mistakes happen. As good as we have been picking players we still have used a P15 - David Spriggs , P17 Ezra Bray , P23 Daniel Foster & P7 -Kane Teance

But you are correct there are some handy players picked at and around this mark like - James Kelly P17 , Brad Green P19 , Harry Taylor P17

I heard the Gold Coast Chairman on Sunday Footy Show today. He played the Ablett question with a straight bat. Can't comment about players signed, can't comment about Gary etc... But then kept talking...

And said something about that they "wouldn't say anything until the appropriate time."

I think he let something slip.

The Gold Coast seem to be quietly confident about signing or already having signed Ablett.

I don't think that Geelong have handled this situation well.

Plenty of rumours that Chris Judd was coming back to Melbourne in 2007, yet the Eagles managed to keep a lid on it until three days after their season finished.

To an outsider it appears that Geelong is in a panic that Gary will be at the Gold Coast next year.

But then there are plenty of rumours that suggest they may have good reason to...

Couldn't care less what you think.They've handle it well.What more can the club do if Ablett,Prickering and the GC aren't allowed to say if he's signed ?
If the AFL allowed them to [if he even has] then it would be better,but it's the AFL we're talking about here.

I heard the Gold Coast Chairman on Sunday Footy Show today. He played the Ablett question with a straight bat. Can't comment about players signed, can't comment about Gary etc... But then kept talking...

And said something about that they "wouldn't say anything until the appropriate time."

I think he let something slip.

The Gold Coast seem to be quietly confident about signing or already having signed Ablett.

Plenty of rumours that Chris Judd was coming back to Melbourne in 2007, yet the Eagles managed to keep a lid on it until three days after their season finished.

To an outsider it appears that Geelong is in a panic that Gary will be at the Gold Coast next year.

But then there are plenty of rumours that suggest they may have good reason to...

Yeah I think we are "handling" things a whole lot better than your sorry mob did with Campbell Brown.
Bay 13's that way...>>>>>>

The Eagles handled Judd's departure so well they imploded mid way through his final year and now sit bottom of the ladder. We are on top and looking as imperious as ever. I think they've got a handle on it.

Couldn't care less what you think.They've handle it well.What more can the club do if Ablett,Prickering and the GC aren't allowed to say if he's signed ?
If the AFL allowed them to [if he even has] then it would be better,but it's the AFL we're talking about here.
It is a tricky situation with the Gold Coast having signed 6 players but no announcements as to who they are.
However I'm not sure why Bomber would publicly continue to comment on the Ablett resigning, and challenge him to re-sign before his contract expired. Pickering spent 2008 and early 2009 trying to renegotiate his contract but the Cats didn't want to.

Are you sure that you'd want Gary to announce that he'd signed if he has? Surely that would be destabilising for the club and your push towards the 2010 flag...

If Gary has signed with GC then I think he and the GC have handled the situation well.

Yeah I think we are "handling" things a whole lot better than your sorry mob did with Campbell Brown.
Bay 13's that way...>>>>>>
A sorry mob? We're better than that champ. Bay 13? Not sure how anything I wrote belongs in Bay 13... This thread is the place for chatter about Ablett-GC comments and rumours. If you want to rename it "positive reassurances that Gary will play for us in 2011 then go for it. Not happy with how we handled things with Brown either by the way.
The Eagles handled Judd's departure so well they imploded mid way through his final year and now sit bottom of the ladder. We are on top and looking as imperious as ever. I think they've got a handle on it.
The Eagles didn't actually know that Judd was definitely going - he hadn't signed with anyone. There are bigger issues than Judd as to why the Eagles fell down the ladder so far. I would say that if Ablett (Judd) left, Chappy (Kerr) was constantly injured and Selwood (Cousins) was kicked out of the club then even your mighty Cats side may struggle to stay on top of the ladder.

I would suggest watching that interview... It was very interesting.

The Eagles didn't actually know that Judd was definitely going - he hadn't signed with anyone. There are bigger issues than Judd as to why the Eagles fell down the ladder so far. I would say that if Ablett (Judd) left, Chappy (Kerr) was constantly injured and Selwood (Cousins) was kicked out of the club then even your mighty Cats side may struggle to stay on top of the ladder.

I would suggest watching that interview... It was very interesting.

Bullcrap. He told them in 05 that he intended to go back to Melbourne in a couple of years. He then told them before the 06 season that he didn't want the captaincy as he was going to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back