List Mgmt. Ablett to move to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Will He Go?: Gary Ablett had weekend talks with Gold Coast

He has already played enough for the Cats for any future father/son prospects to come to us :p

I will be pissed and annoyed as a supporter, but looking at it from an unbias perspective you cant really blame him. Yes he is getting alot of money now, but people with alot of money always want more. And that is alot of money that they are throwing at him.

At sad as it would be the 800k it would clear in the salary cap could be used to recruit a very high name player. Geelong could have landed Fevola with that type of cash. Not saying it will happen or Geelong could land that type of player but maybe some fresh faces are what is needed to keep this group going.

He can buy what he's always wanted:

chester2.jpg

A solid gold house.

Won't happen! Most of our team understand the concept of loyalty.

Unfortunately, most players only find-out after it's too late that most clubs, including ours, see it as a one way street.

Not a lot of loyalty shown to players from clubs once they've had their fill. As much as I would hate to see him at another club, he would be insane not to set himself up for life with this opportunity.

People on this board need to get a hold of themselves. Has anyone heard Gaz say he doesn't want to be a Geelong player anymore??? No and he will stay. I know it's not good that he is having discussions but Geelong has been his life. he will sign with Geelong and life will go on as normal. :thumbsu:

It is inevitable we will lose some quality* player(s). So who would we be reluctantly happy to see go? definitely not Ablett, Bartel or Selwood.

My list would include:

Stokes
Blake
Gamble
Kelly - I'd hate to see him go, but there will have to be some sacrifical lambs

* Quality = experienced players with some potential, and not "fillers" like Lonergan, or players past their use-by-date like Wojcinski

I think Gazza gets on with Ken Hinkley very well and his appointment by GC may have also been about his ability to entice players up there.

There are certainly some worrying signs in keeping Gazza at the Cattery beyond 2010:
- Mark Thompson gone at the end of 2010
- Nathan playing at GC
- Gary Senior spending quite a bit of time up in Queensland
- Secret meetings already taking place between Gazza and GC
- Mountains of cash being thrown at Gazza
- Geelong FC going into rebuilding mode from 2011+

Gazza needs to consider how he will be perceived in years to come:

* A one club legendary player with a team-first ethos that resisted the monetary enticements of an un-natural trading environment perpetuated by the AFL's greed.

OR

* A decorated and skillful Geelong and Gold Coast footballer that was tainted as a mercenary by succumbing to the lure of the dollar.

All those Geelong supporters who are doubting the character & motivations of OUR champion Gary Junior should pause and think again.

Those suggesting that he will be drawn to the Gold Coast by bundles of $$$ should show the great man some respect. Anyone would listen to the offer being put on the table by GC. But, surely Gary Junior has displayed enough loyalty & courage on behalf of our football club to at least be given the benefit of the doubt on this issue.

Yes, if he does accept the $$$, he deserves criticism, but until that time, we should patiently wait for his decision (with our fingers crossed).

Does anyone even know what the circumstances around the meeting actually were? For all we know, Gaz could've been up there to visit his brother and staying in a hotel. Someone from the Gold Coast saw him there, and ambushed him while he was about to sit down to a meal, at which point a journo saw them together, put two and two together, and came up with 5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah lets not be a bunch of self righteous hypocrites.

I for one would take an extra $6-7-800,000 Salary for sure.

So would all you people whinging that he might 'leave for money'. I'm sure you'd love the cash paying back your house/cars/bills etc.

I always laugh at the bafoons calling up the radio or posting against players leaving for money. 'Omg he's a disloyal prick'. Do these people rock up to work and say to their boss 'I love work I'll never leave this awesome job'

Give me a ****ing break....

why would he have meeting if he was not interested
people need to wake up, he is interested, word is the deal is done
and he is gone

i just want him to explain to scarlo what he was doing up there

this is not good for team unity

as i have posted, if he is to go, i would prefer we cut him loose now, so there is no issue with the rest of the squad, as i can't see the others putting their bodies on the line for someone who is leaving

he does not deserve the captaincy

if he leaves he leaves for $$$$, look at reiwolt, he was from QC and he didn't want to go there

and just like geelong has benefitted from the ablett clan, so too have the ablett's

and the pressure on him would be huge
good luck gazza, but pickering has issues in the way he manages people ->

Very schocking.
Who saw him up there was it Port Adelaide players or did i hear wrong.

I am assuming that you thought Brad Ottens was a dick when he left Richmond to come to Geelong then?

Always thought the main reason Brad left the tigers was to play finals

yeah lets not be a bunch of self righteous hypocrites.

I for one would take an extra $6-7-800,000 Salary for sure.

So would all you people whinging that he might 'leave for money'. I'm sure you'd love the cash paying back your house/cars/bills etc.

I always laugh at the bafoons calling up the radio or posting against players leaving for money. 'Omg he's a disloyal prick'. Do these people rock up to work and say to their boss 'I love work I'll never leave this awesome job'

Give me a ****ing break....

Well actually mate if i was seen talking to a competitor in my line of work it would probably cause a lot of disappointment in the company and i'd probably be marched out the door.

We all love Gary but with 12 months on his contract he has done the wrong thing to meet with them. He should be given a very stern rebuke from Bomber for this, and I am sure he will be. Completely unprofessional behaviour from the Gold Coast, his Manager and Gary himself.

IF he did this in the Premier League he would be suspended and his club would be fined for example.

I reckon the temptation to go will be hard to resist. He's already achieved the pinnacle of AFL success by playing in 3 Grand Finals and winning 2 premierships with Geelong.

Now he has the opportunity to captain a new team that can be a realistic chance at multipe GF appearances, and be paid a shit load of money to boot.

Change the Poll to will he stay if Cats win the flag. If you win the flag he will stay

The more l think about this the less l like it...l understand the rationality behind the reasons that could see Gaz go north but l would have hoped there would be more than that involved. l do worry that those closest to him Nathan, Gaz snr (lots of time in QLD, advocate for the money?) and Liam Pickering (take the money) would be arguing for the move? Cmon Mum?!

The key is the next step now. Geelong must surely come to him now and say lets get this deal done. If he baulks we are in serious shit. l suppose l can understand it, but l wont respect the decision and l'd be shattered and very disappointed to be honest. Of course the club is bigger etc but would be sad end to see such a beloved son walk out on the club. Especially when others have already said no (Riewoldt, Hodge...)

Very destabilising for the playing group, unless he signs up fast. In that sense l reckon its poor form to have met with them in person, rather than let Pickering hear an offer himself. He has recieved extraordinary and deserved protection off the ball as our best player and l think the guys would certainly find that harder to swallow. That very courage and character that got us over the line this year...

Well actually mate if i was seen talking to a competitor in my line of work it would probably cause a lot of disappointment in the company and i'd probably be marched out the door.

So you'd say no to 200% pay rise for doing the same line of work but for a different company?

If you were raising a family you'd put loyalty to a company that is paying you 50% less than the competitor above a chance to provide your family with financial stability and set you up for life?

C'mon now...

I reckon the temptation to go will be hard to resist. He's already achieved the pinnacle of AFL success by playing in 3 Grand Finals and winning 2 premierships with Geelong.

Now he has the opportunity to captain a new team that can be a realistic chance at multipe GF appearances, and be paid a shit load of money to boot.

Do you honestly think that GC will be a contender for a flag before 2016?

I don't.

I just can't see him leaving. Has been around the club since he was knee high to a grass hopper, his family have played there and he loves the area. The money is nearly to good to refuse, but I just couldn't see him playing anywhere else.

I hope for the Comp's sake he stays with the cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back