List Mgmt. Ablett to move to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What?
Hall didn't say he would have declared it. He said you'd have to play it all low key and the hardest part would be when he had to tell the players.

Also not sure why everyone is having a shot at Pickering.
His Client is Ablett, not the GFC.

The 2 trains of thought are not mutually exclusive.
His only job is to represent his client and it would be negligent of him not to. But as a Cats supporter I am pissed off at him playing games.
Managers can and sometimes do balance short term interests with long term issues.
Todays money is not always the best money.
GAJ needs to remember that, like all managers, Pickering's about the commission. The more there is for GAJ the more there is for him.
Now on a strictly financial level, that is what he's meant to do. But it has to be balanced , by GAJ, against other factors like loyalty, friendship, lifestyle, achievements and reputation.

So 'cookie' wasn't serious. BS. He speculated for some weeks until Costa came out and pleaded and renegotiated his contract.
The problem is that when a position is put on this board assumptions are made-no I am not infatuated with Gary- but he is the best player going around and of course there is a price on his head and of course he is allowed to consider that. Wouldn't you consider a great offer if you were headhunted in your chosen profession.
Cook did and Gary is. Leave him alone and let him play footy in 2010.
The irony is that the Thompson behaviour to him, the media speculation and this nonesense is what will distract him from the year ahead. Just sit back and enjoy, we have no control over him or any other player-remember Mumford, did he just go because he wanted to live in Sydney ,no he went for the money- and what they do or what the clubs do to them. Unfortunately the AFL is stuffed and we need to get used to that. I hate it, but big business seems to win.

The simple reiterated point is Gary and Liam completely deceived the Geelong Football Club with the GC meeting, nobody else mentioned in your post deceived anyone and are unlikely to do so in the future given their quality. No one begrudges anyone getting ahead in life, different point.

Again, this isnt about head hunting or big business or loyalty.
This is about complete deception.

Yes I read Germans post.
So what if he was sprung. Just bad luck. And as we now know that was during a period when GC were allowed to sign players.

What surprises me is that people are suggesting Pickering needs to remember where he played when helping is client.
No he does not.

Personally, I dont care where Pickering played either. It only matters in reality to Pickering because he befriended Snr which gave him the golden calf and a way into a career that he is clearly not cut out for otherwise.

As for "so what if he was sprung". Stay tuned, I reckon this will get ugly if it ever fully becomes known what happened in that fateful meeting on the GC. If he goes, I think it's fairly obvious what took place now.

What?
Hall didn't say he would have declared it. He said you'd have to play it all low key and the hardest part would be when he had to tell the players.

Sure his client is Ablett. However, it's a bit rich to be telling the club that a comment made about its player in front of its fans is out of order. Especially when Pickering himself cannot act in a professional and appropriate manner when he is using his position at SEN to highlight his thoughts not his clients.

My concern here is a moral objection to the manner in which Pickering is using his power of a radio announcer to state his opinion on a matter in which he has a vested interest. It is highly unprofessional and lacking considerable transparency for him to quote on matters relating to his client in such a position.

I think ethics is being lost here, its unfortunate for the club that it is wading into this realm because Pickering has such easy access to the media and the ability to keep pressure on the GFC. His last few public comments about the club (mostly negative) and that of GC (mostly positive), are inappropriate.

If this was Lara Bingle we were discussing, would we all be laughing at the manager and his professionalism? Most likely we would.

Maybe you are right mate. I don't know the answer.

But if Hutchy would stop badgering him with stupid questions and embarrassing Pickers by asking Markson how he would deal with Ablett and Buddy then maybe he wouldn't have said anything.

That interview with Markson was as close to character assassination as I have heard.

What?

Notice you didn't mention Richo this time. He had bucket loads thrown at him during his career but stuck with the Tiges.;)

Big Baz may have many faults but acting in a disingenuous manner isn't one of them. Provide us with the link so we can see what he said and in what context.

As for Pickers. Sure he has to act in his clients interests (is he I wonder?) but there has to be a degree of balance. If he pisses off too many of those on the other side of the balance sheet he might find clubs give him the cold shoulder when he is pushing one of his not so attractive clients. Treating 'buyers' with respect, honesty and fairness is the least they should expect.

nohairandfair that is another version of what was said. Please debate and argue the issue not just throw cheap jibes.Too easy, which is the point of what is being said, to have go at the person not the issue. If Thompson was smart he would have talked about the power that the Gold Coast, and West Sydney, now have via $s to pick off players, about how that is unfair within the competition and how established clubs are going to have to change the way that they manage players. That would be smart, that might add to the overall debate, that would not be isolating one player at a public function and embarassing him.
Many gun players during contract renegotiations, still publicly talk up their love for the club and their hope of sorting things out... with GAJ the silence is deafening.

Thompson's jibe was probably just a symptom of the club's frustration in dealing with Pickering and an inability to clearly read GAJ's intentions.

Oh and Flotsam, your comments regarding how Thompson should have handled things... what garbage. A PR consultant you ain't. :p

Notice you didn't mention Richo this time. He had bucket loads thrown at him during his career but stuck with the Tiges.;).
Only because there wasn't anything to expand on.
Richo said "he'd be crazy not to go if the pay difference is that great"

So everyone does have their price.

I spoke to richo in 2002. He was completely undecided. To expand on it. I went into Captain Snooze in Fitzroy to buy a king size bed and the sales dude mentioned Ben Gale and Richo both owned the same bed. I shrugged and said gee I hope he goes to the cats.

Then this guy tells me that Richo is one of his best mates and doesn't know what to do. He is loyal but wants success. He's looking at offers.

I went over the road to have a coffee while I contemplated if I really wanted to spend 8k on that bed. I decided yes and when I went back in Richo was there. And he told me the same thing.

(and yes, I did try to convince him that the cats would be the perfect place)

Long strange story I know :cool:

But everyone has their own reasons. It doesn't mean they are disloyal.

l too am frustrated by Pickerings negative comments towards Geelong and apparent GC spruiking. But the bottom line is he is Gazzas employee. If Gaz doesnt like it, or indeed the advice he is getting on how to approach it all, he will tell him to shut up or do differently. This doesn;t appear to be the case...Pickering is not going to do anything to upset Gaz his golden goose.

The responsibility for this lies with Gaz.

Personally l'm growing increasingly disappointed with the whole process from Gazs side. The club does sound increasingly desperate which is surely coming from a position of fear and insecurity. Our offer is not going to change much between now and October (3rd party deals aside). We can offer as much as we can without crucifying ourselves. Since Gaz doesn;t seem keen to sign on at this point l have a fairly pessimistic view of it all. And it is causing disruptions at the club. It is fairly evident, such as Bombers outburst the other night and other admin expressing tension, already before the season has started. l have no doubt the players are effected as well and l would expect a growing surliness from them about it all personally. Human nature l would think. You can blame the media for that but it is a reality that will not be wished away.

Why is his decision harder than others who have already said no? Riewoldt would have earnt as much surely? And plenty of other players are turning their backs on double the money they are earning now. And indeed most of them dont earn as much as Gaz does now in terms of him already having more than enough...Let alone being so inextricably linked inside the fabric and culture of a club. Disappointing to date and will be a lot lot worse if he goes for mine...

Lets sign Joel for 5 years for a start.

Only because there wasn't anything to expand on.
Richo said "he'd be crazy not to go if the pay difference is that great"

So everyone does have their price.

I spoke to richo in 2002. He was completely undecided. To expand on it. I went into Captain Snooze in Fitzroy to buy a king size bed and the sales dude mentioned Ben Gale and Richo both owned the same bed. I shrugged and said gee I hope he goes to the cats.

Then this guy tells me that Richo is one of his best mates and doesn't know what to do. He is loyal but wants success. He's looking at offers.

I went over the road to have a coffee while I contemplated if I really wanted to spend 8k on that bed. I decided yes and when I went back in Richo was there. And he told me the same thing.

(and yes, I did try to convince him that the cats would be the perfect place)

Long strange story I know :cool:

But everyone has their own reasons. It doesn't mean they are disloyal.

But he didn't leave did he? Had he decided to do so betcha he would have let the club know his intentions.;)

But the bottom line is he is Gazzas employee........ The responsibility for this lies with Gaz.

Interesting point about the client/manager relationship. Pickering also managers Buddy Franklin who is also in contract extension negotiations. Buddy set the tone early on saying his preference was to stay a Hawk so the club knows where it stands. You can bet the Hawks will put a lucrative contract on the table but won't enter an auction.

Lets sign Joel for 5 years for a start.

I'm sure the club wants to but until Gaz declares his position they don't know what's left on the table.

ablett-gary-digital-image_4-420x0.jpg

Photo: Digital Imaging: Frank Maiorana

He put his name to that? My word that's poor, he looks pregnant!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But he didn't leave did he? Had he decided to do so betcha he would have let the club know his intentions.;)

I knew you'd go there.
If I had of used an example from a player that left a club you would have called him a mercenary and his comment was to be expected.

The times are different.The Richo speculation was nuts at the time and it was in July from memory.

I can't imagine that the offers (which he wasn't allowed to receive mid year) would have been 900k higher than his current contract.

Yes he stayed, but from what he said today, and then, the right offer would have changed all that.

And that's the point. No matter how loyal you are there becomes a point where you would be silly not to move.

Hird was a great player and knows what he is talking about, there was no way Hird would off left Essendon and i reckon he could still pull on the boots now.

If Ablett did leave i would love to see, Ling tag Ablett!

now that would be priceless!

i would take the money and go if i was abblet i mean he has done everything at the geelong preimerships,brownlows etc nothing more to do at the cats

Yeah - really. If James Hird was around now and offered the same money would you be saying the same thing ??? Always easier when it isn't your team or player in question - and it is very likely Ablett will be seen in the same class as Hird. Losing Hird at 25-6 - sounds good to you ?

Yeah - really. If James Hird was around now and offered the same money would you be saying the same thing ??? Always easier when it isn't your team or player in question - and it is very likely Ablett will be seen in the same class as Hird. Losing Hird at 25-6 - sounds good to you ?

Im sure Hird was offered more money to move to the eagles when they came in....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back