Review Abysmal Dogs Lose To Port 102-54

Remove this Banner Ad

Every media game report has English in our top three best on ground.

Because they’re ****ing imbeciles who look at a stats sheet. When the game was there to be won early he was abysmal, which is unfortunately a regular occurrence for someone who sees himself as an elite player.

News flash Tim, you’re not.

Wasn't the word that he got sprayed after his first couple of games for trying to do too much, too soon, hence why he was dropped? He was told to go back to the VFL to work on his defensive side and to play to his limits a little more. He has the ability to play pro-actively which we saw in the pre-season, we're just asking him to keep a lid on it. Not sure I love it if it's the truth, I'd prefer to let him play naturally but I understand it a little.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
It doesn't look coached to me. He looks like a guy that just hasn't adjusted to the pace of the game at all. Making him look slow, indecisive with ball in hand and way too willing to make the ball somebody else's problem when he has it.

Will all this change. Who knows?

All I know is that I'd rather he worked through it at The Bulldogs than at Footscray.

Because the next tier of developing mids are just as uneven and devoid of real star quality.

Buss 20 disposals, 8 marks today, does he play, or is he definitely gone season's end and blacklisted?

We’re unlikely to play finals now, today was a must win imo. Might as well see what he is at AFL level, instead of Lobb or Khamis or whoever else Bevo thinks will suddenly become an elite KPD.

This is actually why I want Bevo gone at the end of the year, I still think he's a great coach and will coach somewhere else eventually but he's taken this group as far as he can. As you say since 2021 it's been a rinse-repeat of winning the backs to wall matches and then giving up matches we should win or at the very least be competitive in.

Tactically we have still not addressed the biggest issue that has plagued us for years, we leaked 14 scores from our defensive half today (7.7), that alone tells me it's time for a change. I just want to see what someone else would do with the list

Couldn’t agree more. And for a list that is generally pretty mature it’s disgraceful how big the gap is between our best and worst. Allied to poor (and often bizarre) team selection that’s a pretty big black mark against the head coach.

It’ll be best for everyone if it happens. But I’m fearful that it’ll be rinse and repeat again next year.

2 questions out of todays game.

Does this loss finish off our finals hopes?

And if so, is this the end of bevo and his abysmal assistants (cough cough spanger)?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

English belongs in a bin. I just can’t any more with him and I haven’t even been following the Dogs for that long. Soft as butter and the fact he was previously All Australian is SO unbelievable to me. Shred the contract on offer and let him walk, better off without him.

I don’t agree with the Sanders criticism, I don’t think you can really judge a player after, what, nine games or thereabouts? Not every draftee is going to come out and be a Harley Reid type straightaway. He’s still just a kid, adjusting to playing to the highest level, adjusting to a different game plan/style of play. For all we know he could be trying to find his confidence so I think it’s important to give the kid some time. Although I know others will disagree (and that’s fine)

There’s a lot of Matthew Richardson attitude about JUH and I’m not about it. Terrible attitude.

I was nervous from the minute Bevo declared Bont injury and illness free !!

And Darcy starting in the ruck to protect Milton.

Seriously insipid effort.

I was nervous from the minute Bevo declared Bont injury and illness free !!

And Darcy starting in the ruck to protect Milton.

Seriously insipid effort.
I was nervous from the moment Buku, McNeill and Coffield were named and I put Bont as SuperCoach VC

For all the handwringing about English Versus Sweet. It would be impossible for Sweet to get away with playing like that if he played for us.

Had Jordan and Tim switched guernseys, Tim would have been gifted a pile of free kicks for holding and blocking. Sweet now has the privilege of playing home games in Adelaide and being given the severe rub of the green that comes with it, especially in non-free to air games against lowish supporter base clubs like ours. Good luck to him, he is a solid citizen tap Ruckman and should have gotten more games with us, but he is not in Tim's, Sam's or even Rory Lobb's league up forward and around the ground.

Our team currently has a substantial number of players that are struggling at senior AFL level. Most of them seem to be able to hold their own in small numbers in peripheral roles, just as long as there isn't too much asked of them. The pre-game injuries combined with the in-game injuries, meant that our weak underbelly was exposed and Port capitalised on the situation.

Considering the horrendously biased umpiring (there were effectively different sets of rules\interpretations for each team), injuries, etc. we would have needed to play at our absolute best to get the win. On the bright side, if we are smart (big if I know) this could be a big teaching moment for a lot of our fringe players.

For example:
Gallagher - Stop running past for the handball, until you learn how to do so properly.
Sanders - Plenty to work on here with preseason hype well off the mark. It could be suggested to him that fringe players like him need to exhibit some actual desperation to do well in order to earn selection.

BTW we need to develop a tagger. If they are going to persist with Gallagher, then perhaps teach him how to play a defensive run with role properly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The odd thing about Sanders is that he looked infinitely better during the pre-season practice matches than he does right now. All of the confidence that he had moving the ball forward then has deserted him. I don't know if it's a confidence, coaching or an inability to adapt to the increased pace of the game. But he looks nothing like he did then.

Right now he plays like a jam donut devoid of any jam.
Plenty of first year players aren’t quite ready. The pace of the game is high and he’s nowhere near his physical peak, which might be 5-6 years away.

You get the odd breakout player most years from the first round but plenty of players who, like Sanders, have cameos but basically battle through or barely play seniors. I still remember plenty on here saying there was nothing special about Sam Walsh into his second year.

In a game where most of our senior players had stinkers I don’t really get why Sanders ended up a major talking point.

Plenty of first year players aren’t quite ready. The pace of the game is high and he’s nowhere near his physical peak, which might be 5-6 years away.

You get the odd breakout player most years from the first round but plenty of players who, like Sanders, have cameos but basically battle through or barely play seniors. I still remember plenty on here saying there was nothing special about Sam Walsh into his second year.

In a game where most of our senior players had stinkers I don’t really get why Sanders ended up a major talking point.

Because he is currently one of the players not pulling his weight and earning his spot in the team.

Yes, he is young and may need some time in the VFL, but if he is going to play in the senior team he needs to step up and contribute a lot more. Remember he is being selected ahead of players like Caleb Daniel.

Yeah I would be far more concerned about VDM McNeill JUH and English

Because he is currently one of the players not pulling his weight and earning his spot in the team.

Yes, he is young and may need some time in the VFL, but if he is going to play in the senior team he needs to step up and contribute a lot more. Remember he is being selected ahead of players like Caleb Daniel.
Love the Calebrator but how did he go last time he played

You mean the Caleb Daniel with 7 kicks in the VFL today?? Not sure Sanders is keeping him out, maybe his own significant drop in form

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nothing against Coffield, but spare me.

Here is the problem with players being schooled by media managers to be robotic and toe the party line without thinking and expressing how they actually feel (at least I hope they feel absolutely shattered and angry).

The learnings would be simple. Don't take your opponent lightly, don't let a gun midfield run loose, convert in front of goal, win the ruck, don't pick players that make the same mistakes over and over and over again.

Can people please just admit Sanders has been disappointing so we can all move on. Those trying to protect him from criticism are fuelling it further. Give a thumbs down to this post if you have been happy with his season thus far.

Can people please just admit Sanders has been disappointing so we can all move on. Those trying to protect him from criticism are fuelling it further. Give a thumbs down to this post if you have been happy with his season thus far.

I’m not wild about what he’s bringing, particularly given what we gave up to get him (a poor end to the season could mean it’s a top 6-7 pick to GC).

But he’s a first year player, playing in a dysfunctional team (imo) with a poor coaching, MC and footy department set up. So I’d give him a pass until he’s working under a regime that’s setting him up for success rather than one that’s not doing their job properly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back