Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

You are making a lot of assumptions. Our recent track record of top 10 picks is hardly flash anyway.

Plus the pick will likely end up with pushbacks at either 8 or 9 anyway.

We have enough young talent coming through to risk giving that pick up, Kemp and Durdin showed so much exciting signs.

Unlike other Melbourne clubs with a top 10 pick this year, we have expectations/hopes of playing finals next year, Cerra is a ready made and developed gun who will provide much needed grunt work and assistance in stoppages.

Trading away our first rounder does not damage our chances for future success in any way, it's all just guesswork and speculation
I am not arguing the value of Cerra to us, more so the principal of not using the PSD to our advantage.. Trading away our first round pick (if we didnt need to) certainly does damage our chances..

Jon Ralph can report it as much as he wants but unless Demons come up with something then he wont be going there. They simply dont have the picks to get this done without a Jackson or a Pickett leaving
I think you underestimate how crafty we can get at the trade table when swapping picks to get deals done, we do it every year. If Cerra nominates the Dees your going to have to deal with what we offer because he's OOC, players like Jackson, Koz, Rivers are not OOC, we choose if we want to trade them or not, not them or Freo. Melbourne doesn't play around at the trade table and always offer reasonable trade packages, a lot of the time our supporters walk away saying we overpaid for the player at the time. Since your so hell bent on how we can come up with a package here it is:

Dees trade Weideman for a pick 20-30 (from GC, North, or Pies)
Dees package that pick with 33 for Dogs 1st (more points for Darcy)
Dees package Dogs 1st with Future 1st for Cerra

2 Firsts (even though both will be late firsts) is more than enough for Cerra who is a good player and will be a very good player but saying he has elite potential is a stretch. He can be an elite kick yes, but he'd have to pair that with an elite tank, elite explosiveness, elite hands, elite contested player, to really reach a top 10-15 mid in the comp which is what you'd give up that top draft capital for. I don't think it's unreasonable to say you can find a similar player to Cerra in the first round with either those picks. Personally I don't think we need Cerra as I believe we should move Rivers into the midfield who has very similar upside to Cerra, but that's the way it goes every supporter is going to rate players from their club higher than a support from another club.

I think Richmond are likely to bob up for Cerra , bachar houli retired, Cotchin is near the end and now Dusty's serious kidney.
I could see them offering pick 7 and 16 for Cerra and Carlton missing out. if I was Cerra I would rather play for the Tigers than the Blues
Could ya!? :$ Not a chance in hell we'd offer that. I doubt 7 would be on the table at all unless a deal too good to refuse came up.

Dusty will be fine so not sure what that relevance is either.

I think you underestimate how crafty we can get at the trade table when swapping picks to get deals done, we do it every year. If Cerra nominates the Dees your going to have to deal with what we offer because he's OOC, players like Jackson, Koz, Rivers are not OOC, we choose if we want to trade them or not, not them or Freo. Melbourne doesn't play around at the trade table and always offer reasonable trade packages, a lot of the time our supporters walk away saying we overpaid for the player at the time. Since your so hell bent on how we can come up with a package here it is:

Dees trade Weideman for a pick 20-30 (from GC, North, or Pies)
Dees package that pick with 33 for Dogs 1st (more points for Darcy)
Dees package Dogs 1st with Future 1st for Cerra

2 Firsts (even though both will be late firsts) is more than enough for Cerra who is a good player and will be a very good player but saying he has elite potential is a stretch. He can be an elite kick yes, but he'd have to pair that with an elite tank, elite explosiveness, elite hands, elite contested player, to really reach a top 10-15 mid in the comp which is what you'd give up that top draft capital for. I don't think it's unreasonable to say you can find a similar player to Cerra in the first round with either those picks. Personally I don't think we need Cerra as I believe we should move Rivers into the midfield who has very similar upside to Cerra, but that's the way it goes every supporter is going to rate players from their club higher than a support from another club.
Again though mate. Would we rather 2x back end teens picks or would we rather a pick around 5??

Fremantle can just as easily not accept that and then what do we do? We go to Cerra and say pick another club or you go in PSD?? In the PSD there is also no way he makes it to Melbourne

Fremantle can just as easily not accept that and then what do we do? We go to Cerra and say pick another club or you go in PSD?? In the PSD there is also no way he makes it to Melbourne
Stop mentioning the pre season draft, there’s no way Fremantle are letting him go for nothing when clubs are going to offer up a first and second rounder at minimum. I find it bizarre that you’re a Freo supporter yet keep mentioning PSD like it’s some threat. You really want to lose Cerra for nothing? There’s no chance he’s going to the PSD

Stop mentioning the pre season draft, there’s no way Fremantle are letting him go for nothing when clubs are going to offer up a first and second rounder at minimum. I find it bizarre that you’re a Freo supporter yet keep mentioning PSD like it’s some threat. You really want to lose Cerra for nothing? There’s no chance he’s going to the PSD

they think the psd is a threat to other clubs. Im sure its no big deal to melbourne, who are the minor premiers, if they couldn't work out a deal. Freo on the other hand would be losing a player who some in here say is worth 2! yes 2 first rounders! for nothing.

But Nick Stevens and Jack Martin....

they think the psd is a threat to other clubs. Im sure its no big deal to melbourne, who are the minor premiers, if they couldn't work out a deal. Freo on the other hand would be losing a player who some in here say is worth 2! yes 2 first rounders! for nothing.
I honestly think Carlton would laugh at Freo for letting a pick 5 go if they let him go to the PSD and North picked him up.

But why is a Freo supporter talking about it, wouldn’t you want to atleast settle on a first and a second for him instead of letting him go for nothing if you supported the club?

He is not going to nominate Melbourne though, so your just taking about an impossible hypothetical scenario.

Freo want 2 good picks, not one outside the top 10 and a battler like Weideman.

Just enjoy the Prelin Final week mate, you guys are stacked with inside mids who do grunt work with stoppages, I don't even know why The Dees are reportedly interested, unless as I believe, it's a ploy to try make Carlton pay more.

Out Of all Vic clubs, I would argue Melbourne need Cerra the least..

I would if we got offered big unders!! Late picks in the teens aint good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is not going to nominate Melbourne though, so your just taking about an impossible hypothetical scenario.

Seriously if you are Cerra, would you prefer to play at Melbourne or Carlton? Not a tough decision.

If Melbourne can convince him they could make the trade happen he will nominate Melbourne?

Why else do you think he has yet to nominate a club?

Seriously if you are Cerra, would you prefer to play at Melbourne or Carlton? Not a tough decision.

If Melbourne can convince him they could make the trade happen he will nominate Melbourne?

Been told that according to AFL rules, he is not allowed to until after the Grand Final (publicly nominate a specific club)

Yeah not saying The Dees are in much better nick than Carlton right now, but somehow we always seem to get deals and good players to come across (Martin, Williams, Saad etc)

I tend to think that the VISY/Post football Business opportunities our millionaire coterie supporters and sponsors gives us a massive advantage in that regard over rival vic clubs, I am not naive, I am pretty sure a significant reason Cerra has or will nominate us is because of money/financial reasons.

Again though mate. Would we rather 2x back end teens picks or would we rather a pick around 5??

The thing is though Freo can't do that, Cerra is the one who is signing a new contract with a new club, he's the one who gets to pick where he plays, not Freo. I will say it again he is Out Of Contract, if he says I want to sign my new contract at Melbourne, Freo has to trade him to Melbourne unless he changes his mind and chooses another club. Whichever club he nominates Freo has 2 options, accept what the other club has to offer, or he walks to the pre-season draft and Freo gets nothing in return. Would you rather 2 late firsts or nothing?

The thing is though Freo can't do that, Cerra is the one who is signing a new contract with a new club, he's the one who gets to pick where he plays, not Freo. I will say it again he is Out Of Contract, if he says I want to sign my new contract at Melbourne, Freo has to trade him to Melbourne unless he changes his mind and chooses another club. Whichever club he nominates Freo has 2 options, accept what the other club has to offer, or he walks to the pre-season draft and Freo gets nothing in return. Would you rather 2 late firsts or nothing?
Exactly right. So fremantle dont have to accept a crap offer then because he can go to the PSD to North. Yep id be willing to risk PSD if we are offered 2x late picks which will both be around 18.

Maybe you could package 2x pick 18s for a top 10 pick aha?

Why, its a cut throat industry why wont clubs use this to their advantage... Even if it isnt us.. Collingwood or North should be doing everything possible to Cerra for free...

I am not arguing the value of Cerra to us, more so the principal of not using the PSD to our advantage.. Trading away our first round pick (if we didnt need to) certainly does damage our chances..

Any chance that some stage in the next 20 years Carlton will realise that the Gordon Gekko way of working went out decades ago? The good clubs are smart about how they do it and try not to completely screw anyone over (unless you're Dodoro maybe).

Carlton these days comes across as faux tough guy businessman. Noting that Sayers is saying or doing seems that different either. Just do what you think needs to be done for the club without trying to be "ruthless" and putting on a show that you think you're supporters want to see.

Freo want 2 good picks, not one outside the top 10 and a battler like Weideman.

Just enjoy the Prelin Final week mate, you guys are stacked with inside mids who do grunt work with stoppages, I don't even know why The Dees are reportedly interested, unless as I believe, it's a ploy to try make Carlton pay more.

Out Of all Vic clubs, I would argue Melbourne need Cerra the least..
You seem to be disregarding the fact that it has been reported that Cerra's preference would be to go to the Dees
It's not a hypothetical scenario if he wants to go to the Dees over Carlton

You seem to be disregarding the fact that it has been reported that Cerra's preference would be to go to the Dees
It's not a hypothetical scenario if he wants to go to the Dees over Carlton

Maybe, but for many reasons stated previously he will nominate Carlton.

Dees don't really need Cerra either tbhm

he's out of contract. no? If freo say no then cerra is free to enter the draft. National or PSD. U seem to think cerra is contracted for next year!
I've missed this.

We won't give 8 for Saad, we can just use it on him in the draft.

Yeah, quite a bit of group thinking going on with many Carlton supporters. "The media has told us it's Carlton so that must be right." type of thinking.

I'm predicting if he does nominate Carlton you watch how quickly pick 6 disappears off the table. It will be "Oh now he has nominated Carlton. We are going to split 6 otherwise we are walking him into the PSD" Freo would be mad to trust a club that's coachless.

Yeah, quite a bit of group thinking going on with many Carlton supporters. "The media has told us it's Carlton so that must be right." type of thinking.

I'm predicting if he does nominate Carlton you watch how quickly pick 6 disappears off the table. It will be "Oh now he has nominated Carlton. We are going to split 6 otherwise we are walking him into the PSD" Freo would be mad to trust a club that's coachless.

You do know Carlton are going to appoint a coach by the time the trade period starts?

Rest of your post is gibberish really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

Back