Adam Gilchrist announces his retirement from all forms of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Adam Gilchrist announces his retirement from all forms of Cricket *TBC*

IT'S OFFICAL

Gilly to retire after the Tri-series

-----------------------------------------------

Adam Gilchrist, who revolutionised the role of the wicketkeeper-batsman and one-day opening, has retired from Tests barely 24 hours after taking the world record for dismissals. Gilchrist will step down on Monday at the conclusion of the final match against India and he will walk away from ODIs after the CB Series in March.

"I've come to this decision after much thought and discussion with those most important to me," Gilchrist said. "My family and I have been fortunate to have had an amazing journey full of rich experiences throughout my career and are sincerely grateful to all who have helped make this stage of our lives so fulfilling.

"I am now ready and excited to move into the next phase of my life which will, of paramount importance include much more time with Mel, Harrison, Annie and Archie. Thank you to Cricket Australia, the Western Australian Cricket Association and Cricket NSW for providing me the opportunity to play first-class cricket and for the support over the many years.

"Also thank you to all my team-mates and support staff who have given me the most enjoyable, fun career anyone could hope for and to the many officials and opponents I have come across. It has been terrific to play against you and more importantly get to know you."

-------------------------------------------------------

Source:- Cricinfo

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ausvind/content/current/story/333484.html

Gone out on top. Australia will miss him immensely. He has raised that bar for wicketkeeper/batsmen.

Obviously got the tap on the shoulder like Healy and Marsh before him.

Actually just read his quotes from a couple of days ago again.....perhaps he wasn't. But there was a good chance he was.

And if he wasn't now he would have been.

Good decision.

Its amazing that some people are refusing to admit he's averaged 30 over a long period of time and has had as shocking series with the gloves. He's actually dropped 3 sitters and 2 stumpings. If he was English he'd be bannished like Gerraint Jones.

Brad Haddin will come in average more than 30 and be more reliable with the gloves.

So, whats the big deal?

Congrats on a great career, he'll be remembered in the same revolutionary way as Warne.

However, the hyperbole about him in the past 3 years and refusal to look at him in a realistic light has been rediculous. For this reason I give even more kudos to Gilly for not being in denial about his form and retiring at the right time.

Re: Adam Gilchrist announces his retirement from Test Cricket

Can't wait until tomorrow morning when Gilly walks onto our hallowed turf. I really didn't see it coming, just today I was reading how he felt, and that he wasn't going to think about it for a while, so this comes as a blow.

Forza Gilly, one of the greatest.

Lets hope that he goes straight from commenting behind the stumps to commenting in the commentators box.

Would be a brilliant addition to the commentating team.

Thats one less of the idiots that are there now.

Start afresh with Richie and Gilly then add new people.

It is a big deal because he is the best wicketkeeper-batsmen we have ever seen.

Probably the most explosive player I've ever seen. During the early 00s, it looked like everytime he went out to bat, he was gonna smash everyone and get a big one.

Absolutely awesome player that has played some of the most scintillating innings the game's ever seen. On top of that, a top keeper who's done a very fine job.

The truly great players of the game are the ones who change the way the game's being played. Warnie did it. McGrath did it. Gilly did it, too. Nowadays, no keeper should be picked unless they can bat. Probably everyone's first choice in an all time XI

He picked his timing well. His powers are undoubtedly waning.

Shocking decision to sack Ian Healy. No one will ever be as good as him.

Here's hoping for one last blast with the bat from Gilly tomorrow.

My favourite all time cricketer.

Timing is good - he would have kept his place in the side but decides to leave at a time of his own choosing not someone elses.

Big shooes to fill for Haddin - hopefully everyone gives him time to find his feet in Test cricket and doesn't jump on every mistake he makes.

One of my favourite cricketers of all time for sure. :(

Will be sad to see him go, but he's picked his time well. No doubt he was on the slide, and probably had been for a couple of years now.

In Haddin, we've got an amazing replacement, and I'm certainly not objecting to a player of his quality coming in at 7 in a test match :thumbsu:

I'm thinking back to those comments by that ******** Bracewell about something else perhaps going on in his life? Might have been on the money???

Wonderful servant of Australian Cricket. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Devastated :(

I thought he would definitely retire from ODIs this Summer, but I genuinely expected him to play one more home Test series.

Absolutely champion - in the game, and in general.

I love him.

And Gilly being Gilly, I wouldn't be surprised if he started to felt that he was slipping a little, and didn't want to hold Haddin out if he thought he wasn't able to meet his own high standards.

An absolute era of cricket has now gone.

Gilly is a genius with the willow.

The best to watch, equal, for mine, with Warney and Tugga.

Thanks for such great memories - his efforts in 2002 will always stick in my mind.

Such an uncomplicated bloke, and a decent, genuine human. Good luck to him.

Good decision.

Its amazing that some people are refusing to admit he's averaged 30 over a long period of time and has had as shocking series with the gloves. He's actually dropped 3 sitters and 2 stumpings. If he was English he'd be bannished like Gerraint Jones.

Brad Haddin will come in average more than 30 and be more reliable with the gloves.

So, whats the big deal?

Congrats on a great career, he'll be remembered in the same revolutionary way as Warne.

However, the hyperbole about him in the past 3 years and refusal to look at him in a realistic light has been rediculous. For this reason I give even more kudos to Gilly for not being in denial about his form and retiring at the right time.
Amazing that it took over 50 posts in this thread before someone spoke some sense.

Media hounding him after 1 bad match or 1 bad drop? Please! He has been ordinary with the bat for a while now, and his glove work has dropped off too.

His time has come.

Big shooes to fill for Haddin - hopefully everyone gives him time to find his feet in Test cricket and doesn't jump on every mistake he makes.

That'll be the day. :)

Posted it in the other thread but worth posting again

A 17 year old Adam Gilchrist interviewed by the BBC in 1989 while playing for Richmond over there during theis summer time
[YOUTUBE]ARE4RDqARNk[/YOUTUBE]

If he doesn't perform right away i'd honestly look elsewhere, or i'd rotate the keeper spot until there is a perfect fit.

Posted it in the other thread but worth posting again

A 17 year old Adam Gilchrist interviewed by the BBC in 1989 while playing for Richmond over there during theis summer time
[YOUTUBE]ARE4RDqARNk[/YOUTUBE]

How the hell did you dig that up?

Good one!

If he doesn't perform right away i'd honestly look elsewhere, or i'd rotate the keeper spot until there is a perfect fit.

Haddin is destined to become a victim of the high standards Gilchrist set which is sad, because he's a damn fine player in his own right even if he doesn't have the same talent Gilly did.

How the hell did you dig that up?

Good one!

Pure luck, typed in Adam Gilchrist on youtube to do a search and that was tucked away on about page 3 of the results

Remove this Banner Ad

Adam Gilchrist announces his retirement from all forms of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back