Mega Thread Adam Goodes: Confirmed racial slur by fan, apology made and accepted

Remove this Banner Ad

So Goodes decides to ruin a 14 year old girl's life by pointing her out on national TV because she calls him an ape?

I'm not sure who is the victim and who is the perpetrator here.

Wow what a ridiculous yet predictable position you've taken. Goodes is not responsible for the media and public opinion. He reacted on instinct because he was hurt and offended and has since showed the girl empathy and wished her protection from media backlash.

People like you and snake bater blaming him for this is insane and pathetic.

Some of the appalling ignorance here and in general society is so sad.

Calling a black person "Ape/Monkey etc" has historical racist connotations. Africans and Indigenous Australians have been de-humanised for centuries by being compared to sub-human species.

It is racist. There is no ifs or buts about it.

And he should be applauded for how he handled the situation both last night and today.

Perpetuation of "racism" a stalinist concept stems from individual racial identity insecurity of a perceived persecution whether there or not. Everyone gets "vilified" for any most obvious reason the most racially insecure hang their hat on such boundaries no matter how obvious and overstepping the very racist affirmative action against it are.

Primate is a classification, evolution has no evidence whatsoever it's akin to the suggestion the cup evolved into the tea cup due to physical similarities. This is the moronic mechanist rationalist viewpoint the need to believe in any convoluted theory told often enough by perceived authorities given the same scientific dictatorship as their education.

Some of the appalling ignorance here and in general society is so sad.

Calling a black person "Ape/Monkey etc" has historical racist connotations. Africans and Indigenous Australians have been de-humanised for centuries by being compared to sub-human species.

It is racist. There is no ifs or buts about it.

And he should be applauded for how he handled the situation both last night and today.

Exactly. In plenty of 19th century text books black people from various races were all compared to apes with the books inferring that black people were not as evolved as white and were closer to apes than humans. This is part of the context about why it is really bad to call a black person a ape.

Well you should be ashamed of making comments such as this: 'She's shamed herself forever...'

Way over the top dramatics and shreiks of mob participated villification.

Fortunately, Adam Goodes has substantially more class than you do in how he has handled himself in this matter.

Hahahaha.

Try as I might, I couldn't see any link between reverse racism and what I wrote...

You're right, she's not shamed at all, she's...delighted! Rapt! Overjoyed to be caught on camera, and publicly ejected in front thousands of people there, and millions more watching on tv. I'll go so far as to say she's stoked.

So, yes, I think shes's been shamed, and, sadly, yes, she has done it to herself. As I said. How that links with the need for reverse racism is best left to your fertile imagination.

While you were busy trying to connect two completely separate sentiments, you may have missed my later comment...

I feel a bit sorry for her, to be honest. She's young and still developing, morally speaking...

Most of us don't have to learn our life lessons in such a humiliatingly public way...

I also expressed the hope that the media leave her alone to get some counselling and education.

So, regarding your post...what rubbish. I'll sleep perfectly soundly in how I've 'handled myself in this matter'

Article from 'Crikey' last year about the politically-correct terminology

Indigenous, Aboriginal or Aborigine? It’s not black and white

Amber Jamieson, August 15, 2012

http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/08/15/indigenous-aboriginal-or-aborigine-its-not-black-and-white/

Indigenous Australian, Aborigine, Aboriginal, blacks — unpicking the terminology around how Australia’s first people are reported in the media means navigating a minefield packed with political explosives.

After an article on controversial NT politician Bess Price last week, Crikeywas chastised by readers for the use of the word “indigenous” and “aborigine”. One anonymous reader told us that “indigenous” and “aborigine” are both anachronisms. Martin Wardrop, director, Aboriginal Art Online, disagreed, telling Crikey: “Indigenous is not an anachronism — if anything, it is now more widely used than the longer phrase [Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people].”

So as a white journalist who writes about indigenous issues semi-regularly (not that this just affects journalists — public servants, teachers and social workers all encounter terminology problems) what’s the best word/s to use?

Not indigenous it seems. That was deemed assimilation by semantics. Most of the Aboriginal groups Crikey spoke to encouraged usage of “Aboriginal” — or even better, “Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people” — over any other name. Plus, it also depends where in the country you are (there are some clear state differences), the context and everyone’s personal opinion …

Indigenous

“We don’t like that word indigenous, it was imposed upon us,” Gail Beck, regional development unit manager at West Australia’s South West Land and Sea Council, told Crikey.

Damien O’Keefe, a project officer at Reconciliation Victoria, also avoids it. “There are sensitives from the communities about ‘indigenous’ being a scientific term that colonials have employed to describe them as part of the flora and fauna,” he told Crikey. Although he admits sometimes indigenous can be used since “there’s a practicality you can’t repeat Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander five times in a sentence.” He notes that Aboriginal players in the AFL are often grouped as “indigenous players”, which was widely accepted. “It’s a bit of tricky one,” said O’Keefe.

“Indigenous is a catch-all term,” Anthony Seiver, a policy officer on Aboriginal affairs, told Crikey, as he noted the wider, global usage of “indigenous” to cover all indigenous people. ”It’s largely used by the Australian government to capture Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders,” he said. But it can have its place. “It’s probably appropriate for national broadsheets for instance, or national media outlets.”

“Internationally the word indigenous has a particular meaning to most people, however, locally some people associate the term with the Howard government’s attempt to mainstream services and policies in relation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and therefore do not like to use the word, preferring to refer to themselves as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders,” Khatija Thomas, the South Australian Commissioner for Aboriginal Engagement, told Crikey.

It’s unpopular down south, too. “In Tasmania, for sure, a lot of people are very outspoken about not liking the word ‘indigenous’, especially ‘indigenous Australians’,” said Nala Mansell, state secretary of the Tasmania Aboriginal Centre. ”When people label us as ‘indigenous Australians’, it puts us in the same boat as other Australians. We’re Aboriginal, a separate group of people to Australian people.”

Aboriginal

It’s the term that experts Crikey spoke to identified with the most. ”We use the expression Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island people,” O’Keefe told Crikey.

“In NSW, the term is generally Aboriginal or Aboriginal person,” said Seiver. “In South Australia, the preferred term is Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders,” said a spokesperson from the SA Aboriginal Affairs and Reconciliation Division.

In Tasmanian there was acceptance of both. “We say Aboriginal or Aborigine,” Mansell told Crikey, although Aboriginal appears more popular. Although sometimes people become geographically specific with “Aboriginal”. “Tasmanian Aboriginal people say ‘We’re Tasmanian Aboriginal’,” said Mansell.

Aborigine

“Aborigine” is a noun, while “Aboriginal” is an adjective. Most deemed Aborigine outdated, although it has seen a recent resurgence. “We would rarely use ‘Aborigines’,” said O’Keefe. “We prefer “Aboriginal peoples”, recognising there are a lot of different peoples in the country, not all just one mob, there’s hundreds of different language groups and tribes.”

“Aborigine is a bit more of an old-fashioned term,” added Seiver, comparing it to the old government term “Aboriginal person”, but he noted “Aborigine” ”has re-entered common usage”.

“Aborigine was a word created to pluralise us,” said Beck, who noted that a lot of people still use it, although she prefers “Aboriginal”.

Black

At The Hobart Mercury, the word “blacks” often appears in headlines of stories about Aboriginal people. “Down here, when we’re marching on the streets for land rights and the media says ‘blacks take to the streets for their rights’, that’s fine,” said Mansell. “If it’s used in a negative way, it’s offensive, when it’s used in a positive way, that’s fine.” The Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre often writes “blacks” in its press releases.

Everyone else Crikey spoke to said that it depends on who is saying it, but that it was uncommon and unexpected to see it in the media or a public forum. Beck deemed it inappropriate: “We call ourselves that but to write that in the paper there you’re putting the colour there.”

It’s all about the context. “Depending on the audience, you might use the expression ‘blackfellas,’ which Aboriginal people use amongst themselves but you’d be very careful of using that in public because some people would it offensive for a whitefella to use that expression. Others wouldn’t,” said O’Keefe.

Seiver agreed: “Aboriginal people will sometimes describe as blackfella, but would not be appropriate for a white person to refer to a person as a blackfella. What matters is whether there’s malice attached to it. ‘Blacks’ in the local context is not necessarily a derogatory term, but in other circumstances it may well be.”

Local terms

Other local terms such as “Koori” (Aboriginal people from NSW and Victoria), “Murri” (from Queensland) and “Noongar” (from Western Australia) are also commonly used, but very geographically specific. Even more preferred than”Aboriginal” is for the usage of cultural block name where possible. Meaning, identifying that someone from near Melbourne is from the Kulin nation, and more specifically from the Wurundjeri People.

There’s also a push for other cultural identifying names. Beck says that “first nations” or “originals” (short for “original peoples”) is currently being mooted around on Facebook and among the media as a preferred group name for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

I've never held a particular liking toward Adam Goodes. The man has an unfortunate habit of conducting football lessons against Hawthorn and I will be the first to admit to calling him every swear word under the sun after the Gibson incident. Yet, there is an immeasurable difference between the regular use of vulgar language at the football we have all heard or used at some point in our lives, and the use of vulgar language which carries with it severe racial connotations.

'White Australia', the "Stolen Generation', our horrendous treatment of 1968 200m Olympic silver medal winner Peter Norman for his support of American runners Tommie Smith and John Carlos. Such events are instant reminders of Australia's long and disgraceful history of racial vilification the majority of us would like to forget .

Have we come a long way since these times? Yes, that is undisputed.
In 2008, then PM Kevin Rudd spoke of the "unfinished business of the nation" when apologizing to the Aborigine 'stolen generation', and a hope of achieving reconciliation and equality between the Aborigine people and the rest of Australia. 5 years later how close our nation is to concluding the "unfinished business of the nation" is truly remarkable, but last night simply showed how much work there is to still be done.

In a round intended for a celebration of Indigenous superstars, one of the greatest to ever play our game was called an 'ape' by a 13 year old girl. He stopped, singled her out with no hesitation and ensured her removal from the ground. We should all well and truly in an age where anyone of any age or gender should be educated in regard to the significant offense connotations of such a term carries for those of colored descent.

But as a statement provided by Goodes himself rightly states, this is simply not the case

"She's 13, she's still so innocent. I don't put any blame on her. Unfortunately, it's what she hears, in the environment she's grown up in that has made her think that it's ok to call people names."

Youth represent the future of any nation, and the particular case of the 13 year old in question is just one example of how far we still have to go to achieve reconciliation and equality. An innocent and impressionable young girl who should have been raised by the moral guidelines of a nation that prides itself on championing equality has been taught to believe the use of such a derogatory racial slur is acceptable.

If Goodes did not choose to take a stand right then and there, perhaps she becomes just one of many representing Australia's future who have not been taught that such behavior can NEVER be ok, not even in the most heated or passionate of moments that many a sporting arena can represent.

This is not about the girl, and this is not about Adam Goodes. What this is about is not losing sight of how far we've come in the fight for racial equality in Australia, and most importantly it's about not losing sight of how far we still have to go in the moral education of our nation and it's future.

In this day and age, racial vilification cannot ever be allowed societal position, and for all those who claim Goodes has ruined the young woman in questions life,
I dare say his actions will be a defining moment in the improved woman she will grow up to become.

I've long held a particular dislike toward Goodes for reasons motivated by little more than the joyful prejudices of the opposition football fan, yet after last night I can't help thinking the man a hero.

Adam Goodes you are a champion in every sense of the word,
I hope one day I can grow up to be even half the man you've shown yourself to be

(Log in to remove this ad.)

milne has probably copped more hurtful comments in any game that most others do in a season and guess what some old chook who abuses him gets celebrity status on 9's footy show.. did anyone ask milne if he was hurt by this?..

Milne gets abused for being a rape suspect, not from the colour of his skin!

Over the years, the treatment of Aboriginals has been appalling, and we're trying to improve it. I don't understand people on here. When something like this people should rally together and turn it into a positive and important step to stamping out Racism. But no, people come on here and say ridiculous shit like "Oh what if a black person was racist to a white person!? Tom Hawkins gets called fat! Stephen Milne gets made fun of! I once got called a dirty aussie skip! ME ME ME!" Seriously if you can't see the difference I'll try and lay it out for you.

Aboriginals in Australia have been discriminated against since we took their land. Fat people haven't, white people haven't etc.. I'm an Italian-Australian. I've been called a wog by plenty, but I sure as shit don't think it's the same as making racial slurs towards Aboriginals.

So, If i wore an Ape outfit to the footy tomorrow with a banana in my hand, would that be a bad thing?
Quite often ppl dress up to go to the cricket, they dress as Horses, clowns, paddlepop lions and I have seen apes, just wonder whether the pc police will stop ppl dressing up as apes in future?

Yeah sure, let her get away with it by staying at the match. Goodes did the right thing. Pointed out the incident and did not pursue it further. Who are we to judge how it effects him anyway. He responded to how it made him feel and you are saying he should of felt different. Really?

No one knew what she said until today. "Alleged racist remarks" was going around last night like wild fire. What were you thinking she said last night when she was ejected? I bet it wasn't "ape"

All too politically correct this. Geez the amount of times I have heard fans yelling abuse and slurs at players is ridiculous. Stephen Milne is called a rat every week. Far out Goodes, your a grown man that puts yourself out there, take it as it comes like the rest of the players instead of blowing it up into a big issue.

All too politically correct this. Geez the amount of times I have heard fans yelling abuse and slurs at players is ridiculous. Stephen Milne is called a rat every week. Far out Goodes, your a grown man that puts yourself out there, take it as it comes like the rest of the players instead of blowing it up into a big issue.

Sympathisers of racists are as bad as racists. You can not compare being called a "Rat" to being racially villified.

No one knew what she said until today. "Alleged racist remarks" was going around last night like wild fire. What were you thinking she said last night when she was ejected? I bet it wasn't "ape"

What difference does it make what I, you or any other internet warrior thought she said. Goodes' knew what she said and that is all that was needed.. He was abused on the footy field and you think it is fine and he should have left it at that? This stuff needs to be outed and stamped out, What was he meant to do take her seat number and id so he could report her later. He pointed her out so she would be held accountable and she has been. Hopefully she will learn a very valuable lesson out of this. I am glad she has realised what she did was wrong and that what Goodes did was the right thing to do. Too bad some other people can't see that.

That is a lot of stupidity in such a small post.

The term "rat" hasn't been used to dehumanise Milnes' ancestors for centuries.

People need to learn the history of the ape/monkey insult specifically aimed at non-whites and especially dark skinned people. It has been used to justify stealing land and slavery.

It is blatant racism. And this rubbish suggestion that racism should be ignored is counter productive and does nothing to solve any problems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Adam Goodes: Confirmed racial slur by fan, apology made and accepted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back