Mega Thread Adam Goodes: Confirmed racial slur by fan, apology made and accepted

Remove this Banner Ad

I was all ready to join the masses in condemning this girl until I found out what it was that she said ...

"To come to the boundary line and hear a 13-year-old girl call me an 'ape', and it's not the first time on a footy field that I've been referred to as a 'monkey' or an 'ape', it was shattering ... "This week is a celebration of our people and our culture."

So **** it! I'm just going to come right out and say. The reason why, Adam, is because, like it or not, you do kinda look like an ape. Tar me racist all you want, but it has nothing to do with your people, your culture or your skin colour. I also happen to think Fraser Gehrig looks like an ape. Would I be accused of racism or sullying a celebration of indigenous culture for calling Gehrig an ape?

So to those who would call me a racist, and to Adam Goodes, I say get over yourselves. You are the ones drawing the distinction of race here. I'm just being mean spirited in the same sense people are when they say Rebecca Judd looks like a horse, or Paris Hilton looks like a lama.

I was all ready to join the masses in condemning this girl until I found out what it was that she said ...

"To come to the boundary line and hear a 13-year-old girl call me an 'ape', and it's not the first time on a footy field that I've been referred to as a 'monkey' or an 'ape', it was shattering ... "This week is a celebration of our people and our culture."

So **** it! I'm just going to come right out and say. The reason why, Adam, is because, like it or not, you do kinda look like an ape. Tar me racist all you want, but it has nothing to do with your people, your culture or your skin colour. I also happen to think Fraser Gehrig looks like an ape. Would I be accused of racism or sullying a celebration of indigenous culture for calling Gehrig an ape?

So to those who would call me a racist, and to Adam Goodes, I say get over yourselves. You are the ones drawing the distinction of race here. I'm just being mean spirited in the same sense people are when they say Rebecca Judd looks like a horse, or Paris Hilton looks like a lama.
And this boys and girls is why racism will never be eradicated.

And this boys and girls is why racism will never be eradicated.

Answer the question. Would I be racist for saying Gehrig looks like an ape?

I knew well before I posted that some nuffie would pull the race card. But it has nothing to do with race. It has to do with someone having their feelings hurt. I doubt the girl even understands the deeper racial connotations of what she said.

Wumming obviously

Surely this is some terrible attempt at a joke??? Please??

Someone ban this guy. After all that happened last night and today, I can't believe that somebody would come out and say this. Look at how upset Goodes was today in his interview. How do you feel about going up to him and telling him that this is how you feel?

Primate is a classification, evolution has no evidence whatsoever it's akin to the suggestion the cup evolved into the tea cup due to physical similarities. This is the moronic mechanist rationalist viewpoint the need to believe in any convoluted theory told often enough by perceived authorities given the same scientific dictatorship as their education.

Way to stick your head into the sand. I'll explain science to you since you obviously have no idea what it is. A theory in science is akin to a law, it is something tested thousand if not hundreds of thousands o times to see if it is true. If it survives this testing then it is a theory. A common misconception by non scientific minds is that a theory is just some random idea made up by someone, no that in science is called a hypothesis. The theory of evolution is as sound as the theory of gravity. It had been demostrate over and over again to be correct from fossil records and from DNA testing. The misconception comes from people using the word theory in everyday use loosely

So your bs claim that evolution is based on look alone does not hold water no pun intended. You go off on science about authority which is just laughable. First of all science rewards those who can make a claim then back it up with evidence. It is called a noble prize. That's right, if you can prove long held belief wrong with sufficient evidence, not only do you get a medal but more than a million dollars. They encourage people to question long held views. Prove scientific that evolution is wrong and go claim your money.

Secondly I'm assuming you are coming at this from a religious point of view. If I'm wrong the forgive me but a creationist who claims that "god created everything" is accusing scientists of being relying on authority!?!? A most hilarious of arguments.

No Goodes did, who are you to say what another person (and the man this was addressed to) is offended by?

Answer the question. Would I be racist for saying Gehrig looks like an ape?

I knew well before I posted that some nuffie would pull the race card. But it has nothing to do with race. It has to do with someone having their feelings hurt. I doubt the girl even understands the deeper racial connotations of what she said.

Agree. there was no intent of racism in that comment at such a young age. Tell her its wrong by all means for calling someone a name, don't call her racist for something where she didn't intend to be racist.

An incident like Lleyton Hewitt at the us open is racist , I love Hewitt , but that was a dog call and I still can not believe he said that. Last nights isn't in the same category, as much as people love the romance of this happening in indigenous round to prove a point.

What the girl said was wrong and something I would never say. But how many of you never made mistakes as a thirteen yesr old? Two Wrongs don't make a right and now this girl has been embarassed and shamed in front of everyone she knows. I've heard far worse from adults that players cop without complaint.

Goodes reaction was over the top. Sledging is always going to happen at footy games and as he said, players have said the same thing to him and cop the same or worse from fans.

The girl definitely needs to be better educated but the whole thing could've been handled with more discretion and grace.

Democracy: Freedom of Speech very important part of it.

Freedom of speech
Australians are free, within the bounds of the law, to say or write what we think privately or publicly, about the government, or about any topic. We do not censor the media and may criticise the government without fear of arrest. Free speech comes from facts, not rumours, and the intention must be constructive, not to do harm. There are laws to protect a person's good name and integrity against false information. There are laws against saying or writing things to incite hatred against others because of their culture, ethnicity or background. Freedom of speech is not an excuse to harm others.

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/choose-australia/about-australia/five-freedoms.htm

Surely this is some terrible attempt at a joke??? Please??

Someone ban this guy. After all that happened last night and today, I can't believe that somebody would come out and say this. Look at how upset Goodes was today in his interview. How do you feel about going up to him and telling him that this is how you feel?

Ban me then. Go for it. It's not the first time I've posted these exact thoughts on this site.

Freaking stuck in a land of group-think. I knew well before I posted that most of you drone thinkers would come out and pull the race card without even knowing my background. But like I've asked and like no one has yet answered, would I be racist for saying the same about Fraser Gehrig? Of course not. While Goodes might draw the distinction of race here, that doesn't mean it genuinely relates to race one iota.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ma
Answer the question. Would I be racist for saying Gehrig looks like an ape?[/quote
You really think there's nothing racially charged about calling Goodes an Ape? For centuries black people have compared to monkeys as a way of putting them down as a subspecies. This Social Darwinistic view is how people justified slavery, segregation and discrimination for a long, long time. That's why it's a racially charged term. It's pretty bloody understandable how Goodes would be really offended by being called an ape. Despite being a star of the game, a great role model and all around good bloke that has achieved pretty much everything that anyone could ever achieve in the game, some people still don't view him as their equal.

Wow, 1965 called.

Please go back there!

No Goodes did, who are you to say what another person (and the man this was addressed to) is offended by?

He can be offended all he wants, but he has no right to infer the intent of another person where it is not so clear. This girl, rightly or wrongly, as I don't know her intent either, has now been accused of racism and everyone seems to be swallowing it down as 100% fact she made a racially based comment. I'm just not so sure it can be deemed as such given I've often thought Goodes and Gehrig had an ape like look about them, Fevola too to some extent.

disgusted by the amount of racism in this thread. Referring to the aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as "indigenous australians" is an outdated term and causes them offense, and carries connotations of being treated like the native 'flora and fauna' when the white devils first began to plunder this great land. This is why the 'department of indigenous affairs' no longer exists. Please ban those who have referred to the aboriginal people as indigenous australians!

So when the Indian fans hooted like monkeys at Adam Symonds or when European soccer fans have thrown bananas at black athletes this was just the same as people noticing Nick Riewoldt's similarity to an internet picture of a llama. An entire history of racial slurs is conveniantly ignored.
http://www.authentichistory.com/diversity/african/3-coon/6-monkey/

If you use a term against a person of a certain racial background that historically has been employed as a form of racial abuse against people of that certain racial background, then it is a racist term. It's not a difficult concept.

He can be offended all he wants, but he has no right to infer the intent of another person where it is not so clear. This girl, rightly or wrongly, as I don't know her intent either, has now been accused of racism and everyone seems to be swallowing it down as 100% fact she made a racially based comment. I'm just not so sure it can be deemed as such given I've often thought Goodes and Gehrig had an ape like look about them, Fevola too to some extent.
So what else could she have meant by calling Goodes an Ape?

Agree. there was no intent of racism in that comment at such a young age. Tell her its wrong by all means for calling someone a name, don't call her racist for something where she didn't intend to be racist.

I'm not sure of her intent, but I just can't accept as fact that calling someone that automatically relates to their ethnicity or racial heritage. It's like Aka's comment years about about "paying peanuts". Sometimes the racial distinction is coming the opposite way to what people like to think.

You really have no empathy for him? You watched his statement today?

So when the Indian fans hooted like monkeys at Adam Symonds or when European soccer fans have thrown bananas at black athletes this was just the same as people noticing Nick Riewoldt's similarity to an internet picture of a llama. An entire history of racial slurs is conveniantly ignored.
http://www.authentichistory.com/diversity/african/3-coon/6-monkey/

So you are assuming a 14 year old girl knows about all those incidents and purposely called him an ape because she knew it was racist?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Adam Goodes: Confirmed racial slur by fan, apology made and accepted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back