Mega Thread Adam Goodes: Confirmed racial slur by fan, apology made and accepted

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, 1965 called.

Please go back there!

What I find really funny, is the thought police in this thread claiming the territory of what is racist and what is not and pointing the finger with such ease. You don't know my history, my ethnicity, my background, but you are willing to make leaps in assumptions to join the dots and keep your view of the world locked in nice and steady.

I certainly don't condone what was said but a 17 year old can bash, rob and murder and his name and identity is protected by courts. A 13 year old girl is hung out to dry with her face splashed across the media/net and papers for making a stupid comment.

Answer the question. Would I be racist for saying Gehrig looks like an ape?

I knew well before I posted that some nuffie would pull the race card. But it has nothing to do with race. It has to do with someone having their feelings hurt. I doubt the girl even understands the deeper racial connotations of what she said.

Racist or not, humiliating and embarrassing someone is never OK.

Really? Have some people not established this (whether they do it or not)?

You really have no empathy for him? You watched his statement today?

I have empathy for the struggle of all people in the face of discrimination. But as the saying goes, get bitten by a snake and you'll be scared even of rope. I'm just not so sure that the racial component of the girl's comment isn't framed more by a history she doesn't even understand rather than by her own intent. As I keep repeating and get ignored by the small of mind, would she be accused of the same if she said it to Fraser Gehrig? I just find it too much that Goodes automatically takes this comment from a kid to be a reference to race first and foremost.

So you are assuming a 14 year old girl knows about all those incidents and purposely called him an ape because she knew it was racist?
You don't have to know the detailed history of a racist slur to buy into it. In fact it probably helps not too. It's not as if the equation of black people with monkeys is obscure or unknown, however much people on BF might pretend not to know of it when they're trying to find an apology for racism.

Same thing as if she said it to Fraser Gehrig.
Could well be but are you assuming this because she's quite young? because when i was her age kids would use the term "ape" knowing exactly the negative connotations of the comment.

If you use a term against a person of a certain racial background that historically has been employed as a form of racial abuse against people of that certain racial background, then it is a racist term. It's not a difficult concept.

I don't agree. Intent is what makes something genuinely racist. But I do agree that history definitely plays a role is framing certain phrases as inherently racist and heightening the offense taken by those who feel a term has been employed against them in this way.

Well how is calling Goodes an ape racist? If it isn't based on history. She didn't say black ape, of which would racist.
When i was her age a Ghanaian kid at school was called "ape" "monkey" as well and he looked nothing like any of those. Using her age to excuse her from what she's said, i doubt she's that stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure of her intent, but I just can't accept as fact that calling someone that automatically relates to their ethnicity or racial heritage. It's like Aka's comment years about about "paying peanuts". Sometimes the racial distinction is coming the opposite way to what people like to think.

I sort of get where you are coming from, and I don't know your background, but there is a clear difference between calling Gehrig an ape and Goodes an ape, because people of Goodes colour collectively have been subjected to that type of taunt for years in one form or another, "go back to the trees", "have a banana", "go back to the cave", gorilla, all that kind of stuff. I've heard them used against people of colour since childhood and I'm sure you have too. It's complex but I suppose it's an insult to a persons heritage, their whole background, making them feel less than human, as opposed to an individual say if you were referring to Gerhig.

And to be clear Goodes does not appear to be saying that the girl is a racist, or that she meant the word ape in that type of context, what he IS trying to say is that words like that are hurtful, so now that you know, please don't say them.

you really need to think before you say something, players like fevola and gehrig use to get the monkey/ape taunt quite a bit but there's obviously a racial line there where you need to recognise their background.

having said that i honestly wasn't aware of the link between the ape/monkey insults and indigenous australians, i thought it was aimed at those of african descent. but i can't imagine thinking that way or saying something like that.

So all this hoohah is because of the word 'Ape' ? Surely Goode's is joking....

Perhaps the young lass should have paid him 20K to make it all go away....if you know what I mean...:rolleyes:

Hmmm so you don't see an issue with the use of the word ape to describe an indigenous person?

Hmmm.....oh your a Collingwood fan...carry on.

For anyone to say following, this incident that we haven't come any further than where we were 20 years ago is simply wrong, the education, empathy, and sensitivity surrounding this issue for the most part is very admirable and all we have learned tonight is that while the fight against racism is not over, the trend of hate speech, and racial abuse is dying and will eventually be gone.

In a superficial way, perhaps.

But in a deeper sense, looking at the nature of our mainstream media and the overall political environment right now, largely contributed to by that factor, I would have to disagree about racism and hate speech being on the wane at this point.

And if it is in decline as far as Indigenous Australians being targeted, that would simply be because the focus has shifted more towards another common target for racism and bigotry.

Look, let's not burn this young girl at the stake. As others have stated, a little education for this girl will go a long, long way indeed. She f*cked up - maybe she new the implications of her comment, maybe she didn't. Vying for her blood doesn't help the situation.

Racist or not, humiliating and embarrassing someone is never OK.

Really? Have some people not established this (whether they do it or not)?

I have never said it was. I would never endorse any supporter abusing any participant at the football, including umpires. I've never done it and tbh, I don't even understand the purpose of someone doing this.

I just feel that the branding of this girl as a racist might just be well off the track.

Calling a black man an ape/monkey/chimp is racist. It's a FACT. Racist people do use it to make racial remarks.
I don't understand why some of you need to know a reason or the origin for it. It's just a well known fact around the world.

I'm surprised that those who see this link as automatic actually accuse others of being racist o_O

http://www.authentichistory.com/diversity/african/3-coon/6-monkey/

There is a clear association for generations between calling someone with dark skin a monkey/ ape etc and racism.

It implies that they are a step or two down the evolutionary chain and therefore inferior. In the 1950's Aboriginal Australians were still being seen in flora and fauna books as they were seen as closer to animals than people.

Feel free to do a bit of research before you shoot your mouth off, or not.

I just feel that the branding of this girl as a racist might just be well off the track.

You are welcome to you feelings but I'd say the weight of history says you are wrong.

Wow, Adam Goodes you are a class act brought a tear to my eye. Said it better than anyone in 45 pages in this thread.

In Adam's words he doesn't expect that the young girl can appreciate the hurt caused by her words. It matters not the intent of your words but how those words are received. Clearly to an Aboriginal person who has spent their life with inequality a monkey/ape reference reinforces a view held that they are inferior. It is why calling a redhead a "ranga" is totally different because the only way it can be taken is as a reference to the colour of one's hair.

I have never said it was. I would never endorse any supporter abusing any participant at the football, including umpires. I've never done it and tbh, I don't even understand the purpose of someone doing this.

if the girl came out and said i called him an ape because he's big and hairy, then i might've believed her tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Adam Goodes: Confirmed racial slur by fan, apology made and accepted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back