Mega Thread Adam Goodes: Confirmed racial slur by fan, apology made and accepted

Remove this Banner Ad

I just saw the footage again on FSN and now knowing what she said, you can clearly see the word she shouted as she leaned a little bit towards the fence

Her friend next to her also cracked up laughing

I really hope this helps get racism further out of our game and society and that the young girl gets help to understand why "ape" is derogatory

In schools today, as young as primary school, my children are being taught that we are all apes, or that we come from apes.
I find this form of teaching highly offensive. I'm a creationist, I believe in God and that he created all things. To call someone a ape, is referring to everyone isn't it, white or black, that's what the schools teach anyway. Children are being educated, the wrong way.

Yikes.

I don't get racism... you can hack someone to death who's a different colour, race and religion and it's terrorism not racism but if you call someone an ape a creature who we all descended from it's racism. Sorry but the world is backwards.

I don't get it. Why is okay for Obrien to call someone a fat c##t ?

It's not OK.

BUT (and this may be more of an overseas thing) 'ape' has specific meaning in reference to 'blacks'. This girl may not be aware of what she was saying but this incident has highlighted a structural social discrimination. Goodes is no dill. He has been around the traps dealing with discrimination directed at indigenous people.

He may be even aware of studies such as this. This is not just name calling as some people have reduced this incident to.

http://stuffwhitepeopledo.blogspot.com.au/2009/02/associate-black-people-with-monkeys-and.html

http://nbm.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b8c069e2011278f9ab1028a4-popup

Being an ethnic minority born in Australia, I don't believe the stuff that comes out of players' mouths on the footy field sometimes. From ALL minorities. "Me love you long time" from a white fella, "Ching chong" from a black fella, "Go back to China!" from some coward in the crowd. Do I believe racism is tolerated to some extent? Most definitely.
I actually think she's ok. I don't believe her to be out rightly racist.
Looking at her body language I believe she took advantage of a situation that just elicited probably one of the stupidest things she'll ever say. Have you guys ever been in a situation that was so rare (in this case being face to face with an AFL footballer while he's playing) that you wanted to take advantage and yell something out? It happens so quick that you don't control/censor what you say. People do these things because they are in a group. In a group, your actions are diffused to an extent. If she was sitting all alone, I guarantee she would have done NOTHING.
Her silly little friend basically reaffirmed that her behaviour was funny, was 'relevant', was 'ok' by laughing along.
If anyone has the replay, can you confirm for me that she looked at her friend after slurring Goodes?

Humans didn't descend from apes, apes descended alongside hominids from the same common ancestor.
Blasmaphy!
Didn't you read Genisis?

That's right, he's a grown man. Reacting to a 14 year old girl.

I can't say anything as I didn't hear what she said.

Apparently hundreds of people on BF did though. They know all about what she said and she's guilty.
He has no idea who he's responding to, and he shouldn't need to. He shouldn't have to listen to that. If he's clear in his mind about what he heard then good on him.

I always wondered what happened to the wilfully ignorant & deliberately provocative AndSmithMustScore. Now I know.

You don't think he could have handled it better? It does nothing to bridge the gap of what initial problem is. Sure name and shame her after the match, don't make it out to be something so evil that she had to be chucked out of the stadium. Perspective is a big thing , get some

Yeah sure, let her get away with it by staying at the match. Goodes did the right thing. Pointed out the incident and did not pursue it further. Who are we to judge how it effects him anyway. He responded to how it made him feel and you are saying he should of felt different. Really?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree on the 'reverse racism' stuff...completely unnecessary here...

Well you should be ashamed of making comments such as this: 'She's shamed herself forever...'

Way over the top dramatics and shreiks of mob participated villification.

Fortunately, Adam Goodes has substantially more class than you do in how he has handled himself in this matter.

He has no idea who he's responding to, and he shouldn't need to. He shouldn't have to listen to that. If he's clear in his mind about what he heard then good on him.

I always wondered what happened to the wilfully ignorant & deliberately provocative AndSmithMustScore. Now I know.
I think you may be onto something there.....

So, If i wore an Ape outfit to the footy tomorrow with a banana in my hand, would that be a bad thing?
Why don't you try it and find out?

I don't get it. Why is okay for Obrien to call someone a fat c##t ?
im with you on this one, like what if she called him a 'dog' instead........ or if a sydney fan called cloke an 'ape' ???... would it still be such a massive issue....?? of course it is all wrong in normal behavior but sometimes people say things at the footy that they dont really mean... milne has probably copped more hurtful comments in any game that most others do in a season and guess what some old chook who abuses him gets celebrity status on 9's footy show.. did anyone ask milne if he was hurt by this?..

Its likely already been raised, but why the hell did this girl leave by herself? There looked to be adults within her group, she handed her jacket to a woman (don't want to make assumptions that it was her mother/family member), however none of these adults thought it appropriate to go with her as she was been walked out by the police?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Adam Goodes: Confirmed racial slur by fan, apology made and accepted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back