Past Adam Goodes - The Champion, We Thank You, retired 2015 (now with extra Dr)

Remove this Banner Ad

I've lost a lot of respect for the general footy fan base this year, and my love for the game has diminished.

Goodes has dared to speak his mind, and as an aboriginal person in this country in this era we live in, that will bring you trouble.

A great footballer for our club, and a person of great integrity and passion. I feel a great sadness in me, for a number of reasons.

I have no words. Finding it really hard to care about football knowing that he walked away from the game half forced because society has proven itself backwards and inconsiderate.

I'm no paragon of virtue myself, but I expected better from the public. All those haters need to go and listen to his direct words - he never wanted to be a poster boy for racism. All he did was stand up to racism, young girl or not - it doesn't make it excusable.

Onto football. I struggle to think of anyone who could contain him at his peak when he was on. He truly was the perfect footballer. He doesn't have the consistency of an Ablett or the freakishness of a early Judd - but when he was on he was better than both.

Champion. You're a legend of the AFL Adam, but more importantly a swan through and through.

What a champion. Sad too see him go. Him and Micky'O tearing it up together was always great to watch. Hope they retire the Number 37 and he gets a job with/around the Swans.

He bows out with him being a dual Brownlow Medallist, dual premiership player, four-time All-Australian, member of the Indigenous Team of the Century and representing Australia in the International Rules Series. Also holds the record for the most games played for an Indigenous player, surpassing Andrew McLeod's record. Australian of the Year in 2014 for his community work through the Go Foundation and advocacy against racism.

Boo him all you want but he truly is a one in a million. #Goodeseyyouwillbemissed
1271470-3x2-940x627.jpg
Goodes-Kennelly.jpg
109820-adam-goodes.jpg
424770-e53b857e-85a2-11e3-b9d4-ee96a3e30d81.jpg

Goodsey massive congrats on a wonderful career
- two brownlows puts you in the the elite category of champions
- won't forget the '12 GF where you sunk us on one leg (gee it hurt but had nothing but admiration afterwards)
- loved how you stood tall in the face of a storm on and off the ground

As a Hawk fan who sat with my brother baffled and embarrassed as to why he was getting boo'd in the GF last year and beyond - the footballing public can go f_ck themselves for their disgraceful, distasteful behaviour to one of the the greatest indigenous player of all time who stands for so much beyond his footballing talent.

all the best

All time great and I feel honoured to have been there for his last game at Geelong and part of a crowd that treated your champ with the respect he deserves.

I'll miss his amazing feats on the field but I know he will be hugely successful in whatever he pursues.

Adam Goodes = legend.

Adam Goodes

• Pick #43 in the 1997 draft from the North Ballarat Rebels
  • 372 games (Swans games record holder)
  • 464 goals
  • 2 premierships - 2005 and 2012 (co-captain)
  • 2 Brownlow Medals - 2003 (as a ruckman) and 2006 (as a midfielder)
  • Career Brownlow votes (up to end of 2014): 162 including 30 best on grounds
  • 4 time All-Australian - 2003, 2006, 2009 and 2011
  • Sydney co-captain 2009-2012
  • 3 time Bob Skilton Medalist - 2003, 2006 and 2011
  • Sydney Swans leading goalkicker - 2009, 2010 and 2011
  • AFLCA Champion Player of the Year - 2006
  • Herald Sun Player of the Year - 2006
  • 1999 Rising Star winner
  • Captained Australia in the 2010 International Rules Series, also represented Australia in the 2001 International Rules Series
  • Indigenous Team of the Century at CHB

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[/QUOR

Sad to hear it. Respect to Shaw though.
I am another Swans supporter who only ever seen the team with Adam Goodes in it.
I can remember games where he took the game on to drag the team over the line or at least try to!
Some great memories.

Considering how well Goodes still could play, "he's had enough" would be in part the toll the booing and the whole saga around it took.
Pissed off with the AFL and footy right now, the bullying which should have been stopped last year, has spoiled what could have been a much widely celebrated end to a great career by a great player, the like of which I probably won't see play again for our club.

What a champion. Sad too see him go. Him and Micky'O tearing it up together was always great to watch. Hope they retire the Number 37 and he gets a job with/around the Swans.

He bows out with him being a dual Brownlow Medallist, dual premiership player, four-time All-Australian, member of the Indigenous Team of the Century and representing Australia in the International Rules Series. Also holds the record for the most games played for an Indigenous player, surpassing Andrew McLeod's record. Australian of the Year in 2014 for his community work through the Go Foundation and advocacy against racism.

Boo him all you want but he truly is a one in a million. #Goodeseyyouwillbemissed
1271470-3x2-940x627.jpg
Goodes-Kennelly.jpg
109820-adam-goodes.jpg
424770-e53b857e-85a2-11e3-b9d4-ee96a3e30d81.jpg

Australian of the year is an ugly trophy

2012 Grand Final Performance:

Some career highlights:

Thanks for the many wonderful memories Goodesy! It's been an absolute pleasure watching the great man go to work.

I keep trying to write something to post but just keep deleting what I've put and trying again... I can't put into words my love, respect & pride in Adam Goodes. His achievements. His values. His personality. Him. He is a special person. Not just an amazingly talented footballer, an amazing person.

On ya Adam Leroy. We all love you blood brother.

An absolute hero! He's the reason I collect sports memorabilia. Have a goodes jersey autographed /100 and a stack of his footy cards and a brownlow signature card, still chasing his 2006 one.

No player has done what he has done. He dominated across so many positions in the field. From midfield to ruck to wing to fwd, he has done it all.

Hats off to a true champion of AFL, he will be remembered in 20 years as a hero and fans that booed as bigots, society in the future will rightly judge them harshly.

Sad to hear it. Respect to Shaw though.
I am another Swans supporter who only ever seen the team with Adam Goodes in it.
I can remember games where he took the game on to drag the team over the line or at least try to!
Some great memories.

Considering how well Goodes still could play, "he's had enough" would be in part the toll the booing and the whole saga around it took.
Pissed off with the AFL and footy right now, the bullying which should have been stopped last year, has spoiled what could have been a much widely celebrated end to a great career by a great player, the like of which I probably won't see play again for our club.

I feel so sorry for the bloke. Its disgusting that so many people ruined this legends send off and took his passion away. He deserved a guard of honour and to be chaired off.

Absolute disgrace. In ashamed to follow this sport right now

I will say this. The way that he was treated by some of the fans was absolutely disgraceful. But I think we can take pride in the way that the AFL handled the situation. The condemnation of the booing and the support of Adam Goodes was unequivocal - from the CEO of the AFL, to the Swans and Eagles executives, players and coaches, to other AFL coaches and his fellow players, to commentators who called the games.

As time goes by, Goodes will be rightly considered to have had an impact on the game that goes far beyond his on field achievements. He has made the footballing public think about issues that go far beyond the confines of the game, and if at times his questions made some of us feel uncomfortable, well then maybe as a society we need to offer better answers.

The above may be his most important contribution to public life, so far, because it transcends the game but I don't want to gloss over everything he accomplished on the field. He was one of the best players of his generation, and should be regarded in the same class as Judd and Ablett Jnr. All have different qualities propelling them into the upper echelon, but Goodes' was versatility. He made his name as a big-bodied midfielder who could also ruck, until his knees began to limit his effectiveness in that role, forcing him to play as a third/fourth marking target in the forward line whose skill allowed him to crumb goals and accumulate possessions in the attacking half. I honestly thought that he should have retired after 2012, as he really struggled over the next two years when he found that he could no longer do what he used to do so easily, but in 2015 he seemed comfortable with being a role player, and some of the old athleticism and overlap & gut running had returned. Throughout his last season he was never in the side for sentiment, but because he was deserving of his place.

There was a minor debate a few weeks ago over what a player needs to have accomplished in order to be chaired off after their final game. No one can deny that Adam Goodes deserved that honour. And no one can deny that he deserves to be given the same lap of honour on Grand Final day accorded to any great of the game, and that ideally the cheers he receives on that day will drown out a career's worth of boos.

As time goes by, Goodes will be rightly considered to have had an impact on the game that goes far beyond his on field achievements. He has made the footballing public think about issues that go far beyond the confines of the game, and if at times his questions made some of us feel uncomfortable, well then maybe as a society we need to offer better answers.

The above may be his most important contribution to public life, so far, because it transcends the game but I don't want to gloss over everything he accomplished on the field. He was one of the best players of his generation, and should be regarded in the same class as Judd and Ablett Jnr. All have different qualities propelling them into the upper echelon, but Goodes' was versatility. He made his name as a big-bodied midfielder who could also ruck, until his knees began to limit his effectiveness in that role, forcing him to play as a third/fourth marking target in the forward line whose skill allowed him to crumb goals and accumulate possessions in the attacking half. I honestly thought that he should have retired after 2012, as he really struggled over the next two years when he found that he could no longer do what he used to do so easily, but in 2015 he seemed comfortable with being a role player, and some of the old athleticism and overlap & gut running had returned. Throughout his last season he was never in the side for sentiment, but because he was deserving of his place.

There was a minor debate a few weeks ago over what a player needs to have accomplished in order to be chaired off after their final game. No one can deny that Adam Goodes deserved that honour. And no one can deny that he deserves to be given the same lap of honour on Grand Final day accorded to any great of the game, and that ideally the cheers he receives on that day will drown out a career's worth of boos.
Won't be doing the lap of honour and no one on this board will blame him.

Won't be doing the lap of honour and no one on this board will blame him.

It's unfortunate that there'll likely be idiots in the crowd who won't be able to control the baser parts of their natures. That means you're probably right, and he won't do it. He does deserve the lap, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Adam Goodes - The Champion, We Thank You, retired 2015 (now with extra Dr)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back