Adam Goodes wins Australian of the Year

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell me this yaco, if someone called Hudson-Lynch-that Hawthorn dude who looks like Jesus Christ an ape would you object?

There's no history of comparing white people to apes to suggest that they are inferior and not as well developed as the rest of humanity . . this baggage exists for indigenous people, and we should respect the backstory of this comment and just avoid it.

There's no history of comparing white people to apes to suggest that they are inferior and not as well developed as the rest of humanity . . this baggage exists for indigenous people, and we should respect the backstory of this comment and just avoid it.

What about Jason Dunstall? He's copped it for years from the Footy Show about looking like a gorilla, and the footy community also hasn't missed Bob "The Chimp" Skilton as well.

I never heard of Crawf being one or neither of the mentions.

That is never the point, but I have obviously felt the reference of the NSW point, and the aboriginal point.

Get past it. if you keep badgering about it then something will happen but don't make it a sore point or else it will be a sore point. Be magnanimous.

Just do it. things happen when you are nice about it and not expensive.

What about Jason Dunstall? He's copped it for years from the Footy Show about looking like a gorilla, and the footy community also hasn't missed Bob "The Chimp" Skilton as well.

You didn't read the rest of my sentence. Also Jason Dunstall isn't 'white people' . . he's a white person.

Just saying there should be a bit of leeway when it come from a child.

I'm not suggesting a conspiracy at all and I am well away that Goodes was the NSW nomination. What I am saying is that in general discussion I heard Crawford mentioned frequently but not Goodes as possible winner of the AOTY award. Therefore people shouldn't be surprised that others were surprised by Goodes winning if they hadn't even thought of him as a possibility. To me it also indicates how out of touch with the general populace these committees are.

I get what you're saying, but the fact is the general populace wouldn't have a clue who the other 7 finalists were either that's why it isn't a popularity contest. In fact the selection process states the number of nominations a person receives has no bearing on the result, theoretically you only need one nomination to win the award.

Jason Dunstall and Bob Skilton are "white people", correct? I'm sure there are many more, there's "Gorilla" Monsoon from professional wrestling as well.

You're comparing a professional wrestling nickname to a long history of comparing an entire people to apes . . . The two examples are not on the same city block, let alone the same level.

You're comparing a professional wrestling nickname to a long history of comparing an entire people to apes . . . The two examples are not on the same city block, let alone the same level.

Yeah well let's have one rule for some (normal people) and one rule for others (Goodesy) hey, yeah that makes sense! Reading comments like yours make me think that there's a lot wrong with Australia these days, it doesn't anger me anymore, it just disappoints me.

cool so he attacks the biggest racial support he's had(eddie mcguire) and nearly ends his career because of a slip of the tongue and shames a child on national television(something she will no doubt be bullied for for some time to come), that deserves praise.....

apart from publicly adding to eddies and a childs humiliation by being as dramatic as possible he didn't actually facilitate any change, he just became a poster boy for an issue that is real but that he has dramatised to the point where people don't even know what is going to be construed as racism anymore.

Are you serious??

Goodes gets called an ape by the girl, then Ed compounds it by his King Kong comment ....and you reckon Goodes humiliated them? I'm a life-long Collingwood fan, but I'm not buying that.
The girl apologised (which she should have), Ed apologised (which he should have). Goodes accepted both apologies and moved on. Others should do the same, rather than trying to defend the indefensible.

Yeah well let's have one rule for some (normal people) and one rule for others (Goodesy)

What I said was that certain remarks are offensive to certain people are not others, for historical reasons . . . I don't know how you could possibly interpret this as having special rules for one particular person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you serious??

Goodes gets called an ape by the girl, then Ed compounds it by his King Kong comment ....and you reckon Goodes humiliated them? I'm a life-long Collingwood fan, but I'm not buying that.
The girl apologised (which she should have), Ed apologised (which he should have). Goodes accepted both apologies and moved on. Others should do the same, rather than trying to defend the indefensible.
Hammer nail head.

What I said was that certain remarks are offensive to certain people are not others, for historical reasons . . . I don't know how you could possibly interpret this as having special rules for one particular person.

So who are you to judge what is offensive to one person and not others? Surely that's up to the individual who has been vilified?

Are you serious??

Sorry, being called an Ape by a 13 year old girl is not an equivelance to being singled out, and then thrown out of a stadium, in front of 60,000 people in front of tv audience of nearly a million viewers and then being on the front page of news for millions more. It was massive overkill. I understand Goodes point, but it should have been done in a different way.

Are you serious??

No he hasn't, this is fueling his current vitriol. Dont believe me, then why did he bring it up both yesterday and today. He will be still bringing this up in 20 years time.

So who are you to judge what is offensive to one person and not others? Surely that's up to the individual who has been vilified?

I'm not judging what is offensive to anybody, it's just not reasonable to assume that calling someone like Spangher an ape would produce the same reaction as calling an indigenous person an ape . . .

Sorry, being called an Ape by a 13 year old girl is not an equivelance to being singled out, and then thrown out of a stadium, in front of 60,000 people in front of tv audience of nearly a million viewers and then being on the front page of news for millions more. It was massive overkill. I understand Goodes point, but it should have been done in a different way.

What were his options?

-Suck it up and ignore it? What would the girl learn from that?

-Suck it up and report it at the end of the game? There was clear vision of the girl, the media would have been on a frenzy to identify her -probably a worse situation for her.

Goodes clearly heard the girl's comment and was offended. He pointed her out to security. Security removed her, as was their responsibility. The media then followed through, as it was a big story. I still can't see why people are questioning Goodes' actions.

I don't have a problem with people making racist comments being "singled out".

I'm not judging what is offensive to anybody, it's just not reasonable to assume that calling someone like Spangher an ape would produce the same reaction as calling an indigenous person an ape . . .

Actually you are trying to judge what would be offensive to one person and not another, that's exactly what you're doing. And if you're asking who looks more like an ape out of Goodes and Spangher I reckon most people would say Goodes as it happens.

What were his options?

-Suck it up and ignore it? What would the girl learn from that?

-Suck it up and report it at the end of the game? There was clear vision of the girl, the media would have been on a frenzy to identify her -probably a worse situation for her.

Goodes clearly heard the girl's comment and was offended. He pointed her out to security. Security removed her, as was their responsibility. The media then followed through, as it was a big story. I still can't see why people are questioning Goodes' actions.

I don't have a problem with people making racist comments being "singled out".
Thing is though mate, Goodes was judge-jury and executioner, a bigger man would have handled it differently.

Kids are funny buggers, it's almost like their brains haven't fully developed yet.

Actually you are trying to judge what would be offensive to one person and not another, that's exactly what you're doing.

Do you mean judge as in predict or decide? I would PREDICT that calling an indigenous person an ape would be offensive towards them, of course. But I wouldn't decide that they had to be offended.

It seemed to me that your initial charge was that I was deciding who had to be offended by these words, and I'm certainly not doing that.

And if you're asking who looks more like an ape out of Goodes and Spangher I reckon most people would say Goodes as it happens.

Well, so what? That doesn't mean that the term becomes less offensive . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back