Adam Simpson meets with AFL to discuss the inequalities that interstate teams put up with

Remove this Banner Ad

As per Caroline Wilson tweet. Can't be bothered linking it.

What a legend Simmo. This takes serious cajones and will not only help the Eagles but other interstate teams too.

It's about time this competition got serious about fairness, not just favouring one state.

Thanks.

I can see all non-Vic teams supporting Simpson on this.

It had to come from a winning team as it would have sounded like sour grapes. Crows posters know, because we got bagged last year for saying it.

The way the AFL is set up is completely wrong, its unfair. Lets all remember it was the Eagles and Crows that saved a lot of Vic teams from extinction by their entry into the AFL.

There was also meant to be a MCG every week of the finals series too. That changed. I remember the Crows playing Melbourne at the G instead of footy park, despite being higher ranked.

Having the grand final played at MCG is a joke til 2057. Even if it remains there, things have to change. For starters, I think all Non-Vic teams should be playing any Vic team at the G. Thats one possible solution to many.

Are you guys not hurting from the bs scheduling where you played the Tigers at the G instead at home in the finals 2017? It genuinely imo cost you a grand final berth. Because had you rolled the Tigers in Week 1, Week 3 would have again be played at your home ground.

At least a couple of games at the MCG instead of all the games at Docklands is probably the one thing the AFL should do. They can wear a small loss. Take it out of the "paying off the Marketing staff's lawsuits" fund.

What inequities does he want fixed?
The MCG GF is locked in forever pretty much. I do think all interstate sides should get 2-3 games at the MCG during the H&A season though. Suns need some financial assistance and help but apart from that I’m actually not sure what Simpson wants

Non_Vic teams should imo get more home games and less traveling.

The GF can be changed its not locked forever, there is ways around it.

Every non-vic team should only be playing at the G against vic sides.

The Grand Final being played at the MCG year in despite an obvious home ground advantage to Victorian teams needs to be first on the agenda.

Amazing this flies under the radar in an ‘equalised’ competition.
Clubs knew this before they CHOSE to join the comp. The GF will never be moved

At least a couple of games at the MCG instead of all the games at Docklands is probably the one thing the AFL should do. They can wear a small loss. Take it out of the "paying off the Marketing staff's lawsuits" fund.

Why a couple?

How many games does the Hawks play at its home ground where the GF is played each year?

Some Vic teams barely leave the state.

Richmond made a mockery by losing most of their away games from Victoria and really should have landed in yet another grand final.

Clubs knew this before they CHOSE to join the comp. The GF will never be moved

You know that was 30 years ago right?

I'm glad the Germans just didn't accept that there was a wall there and there was nothing that could be done about it forever.

And here comes the WA VIC slingfest.

You know that was 30 years ago right?

I'm glad the Germans just didn't accept that there was a wall there and there was nothing that could be done about it forever.

And here comes the WA VIC slingfest.

United my brother.

WA/SA v VIC slingfest.

Crazy right! Wealthiest team in the league. Incredible home ground advantage for 11 of their 22 games. If a player wants to come home only have to compete with Freo for their signature (so no four club auction like with Dylan Shiel).

Plus they have won three premierships over the last 30 years at a rate of one a decade... hardly sounds like a victim of inequality.

Its only 10 home game advantage and is that really much of an advantage when they have 10 away games? Surely that nets off to nill gain.

Look at the Hawks this year . Travelled away 4 times and had 7 games where they had a home game advantage. You've got your head in the sand if you think interstate sides aren't at a disadvantage .

Yeah, the eagles have it pretty tough...

Has Collingwood ever travelled to northen Antartica to play for points?

Also it's not just about the Eagles. Simo being ex Norths and Victorian and now an interstate coach will have a balanced view.

AFL should listen and add his view to others concerning how all interstate sides can be assisted in bridging the obvious natural advantages held by Vic clubs.

Player retention is the biggest issue for not so successful clubs especially QLD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

United my brother.

WA/SA v VIC slingfest.
I’m a South Australian and the GF venue is a non negotiable.
At the end of the day clubs elected to join the VFL. You had the chance to start a new league if you wished or wait a year or two until the VFL folded. So indirectly it’s the Crows fault for jumping so early :p

What inequities does he want fixed?
The MCG GF is locked in forever pretty much. I do think all interstate sides should get 2-3 games at the MCG during the H&A season though. Suns need some financial assistance and help but apart from that I’m actually not sure what Simpson wants
Off the top of my head, it'd be things like things like:
* Forcing players to fly to Melbourne during pre-finals bye week to attend the AA presentations, when they should be resting up and prepping for the most important game of the season.
* Getting a maximum of 2 games at the G per year. Classic example this season was when we played Hawthorn at Etihad instead of, you know, their home ground.
* Almost exclusively making non-Vic teams play against North and Hawthorn in Tassie. A particularly brutal road trip for WA teams.

I’m a South Australian and the GF venue is a non negotiable.
At the end of the day clubs elected to join the VFL. You had the chance to start a new league if you wished or wait a year or two until the VFL folded. So indirectly it’s the Crows fault for jumping so early :p
If you're a South Australian I bet you take care saying that loudly in bars.

* Forcing players to fly to Melbourne during pre-finals bye week to attend the AA presentations, when they should be resting up and prepping for the most important game of the season.
* Getting a maximum of 2 games at the G per year. Classic example this season was when we played Hawthorn at Etihad instead of, you know, their home ground.
* Almost exclusively making non-Vic teams play against North and Hawthorn in Tassie. A particularly brutal road trip for WA teams.

This one shits me no end.

Ditto Kardinia Park/Ballarat.

Why its fairly common?

Just like there is Crows supporters living in Melbourne.

Back before the Crows, a lot of supporters followed the VFL and back the team that their SANFL colours wore.

A supporters location is redundant in this argument. Not too sure you read the original post?

There was also meant to be a MCG every week of the finals series too. That changed. I remember the Crows playing Melbourne at the G instead of footy park, despite being higher ranked.
What many people forget is that plenty of Victorians defended this clearly unfair arrangement. Now it seems unthinkable for an interstate side to "host" a final at the MCG against a Victorian side. Apart from the Grand Final, of course, when we just suspend that principle of fairness completely. Because MCG.

Really just means interstate teams have to be really damn good to win flags.

Case in point.

Im not convinced you guys would have been almost 5 goals down in the 1st quarter if the game was played in Perth.

I have no problem with all three of those things being rectified. All clubs should get 2-3 games at the MCG and agree about Tassie.

Despite Hawthorn having played at York Park for yonks Essendon, Collingwood and Melbourne have never played there, Carlton, Geelong and Richmond have played there once.

Meanwhile Adelaide and the Gold Coast 5 times, West Coast 7 times, Brisbane and Port 9 times and Fremantle 11 times.

Hawthorn win there 77.5% of the time.

Really puts the fix in fixture.

What many people forget is that plenty of Victorians defended this clearly unfair arrangement. Now it seems unthinkable for an interstate side to "host" a final at the MCG against a Victorian side. Apart from the Grand Final, of course, when we just suspend that principle of fairness completely. Because MCG.

Whats so special about the MCG? Because it can hold 100,000 ???

I genuinely believe the Perth and Adelaide grounds are much much better.

Before anyone talks about history, thats VFL history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adam Simpson meets with AFL to discuss the inequalities that interstate teams put up with

Remove this Banner Ad

Back