Adam Simpson meets with AFL to discuss the inequalities that interstate teams put up with

Remove this Banner Ad

So do you see what a lot of people are arguing?

This crap about sleeping in your own bed, travel lessens careers etc.etc. because at the moment, there isn't proof that they even exist.

Yeah, I think there's pretty good evidence that travel probably does shorten careers. Since the Eagles joined the competition, about 64 players have reached the 300 game milestone. One of those (Pavlich) played for Fremantle. Two for the Eagles (Petrie and Mitchell). I think most people would be happy to disregard the last two, since both of them reached the 300 mark without including any West Coast games.

That's one player out of 64 who has travelled from WA on a fortnightly basis. If travel has no effect, it should be one in nine.

Yeah, I think there's pretty good evidence that travel probably does shorten careers. Since the Eagles joined the competition, about 64 players have reached the 300 game milestone. One of those (Pavlich) played for Fremantle. Two for the Eagles (Petrie and Mitchell). I think most people would be happy to disregard the last two, since both of them reached the 300 mark without including any West Coast games.

That's one player out of 64 who has travelled from WA on a fortnightly basis. If travel has no effect, it should be one in nine.
Why should it be 1 in 9? surely you would have something better than that.
Melbourne is the oldest club and have 1 player reach 300, explain that?

Brisbane travel and they already have 2 who played exclusively with Brisbane and a few more that played with Briisy and another club, explain that?
Next year Freo will most likely have 2 players that have reached the milestone, so that's really not improving your argument is it?

Firstly, if you are going to use timeline statistics, get some logic on the timeline period you use. You can't expect any WCE players to have reached 300 game in the first year that WCE entered the competition. Perhaps look at the players that have reached 300 games, who have started their careers after WCE joined the comp.
There are currently 47 players that have reached 300+ games, who started playing after 1987.

Only including one-club players, WB have had 5 players reach 300 games. Next comes North, SWANS and ADELAIDE with 4 players. Two of those clubs travel fortnightly i believe? And North sell games interstate.
I have not even included Adelaide's Scott Thompson in those figures, since he played 39 of his 308 games for Melbourne.

Brisbane have 2 players that reached 300 games, and i have not included Jason Akermanis in that figure, since he played 77 of his 325 games for WB, or Alister Lynch (played 120 of his 306 games for Fitzroy).

Fremantle have 1 player, yet they started in 1995!. That's 8 years AFTER WCE.

Others to have played for 2 clubs and not included in my figures are:
Shaun Burgoyne, Brendon Goddard, Gary Ablett, James Kelly, Jordan Lewis, and Paul Williams (3 of those played a portion of their games for interstate clubs).

In this period, the clubs that travel least have had NO players that have reached 300 games.
Collingwood apparently are looked after by the AFL, and don't travel, and Richmond apparently play all their games at the MCG. Both have not had a player that had started their careers after 1987, and have played 300 games.

So, making statistics work for your argument, i claim it is pretty clear evidence that travel PROLONGS the careers of players.

(oh, and i would expect Betts, Mundy and Franklin to reach 300 this year, another 3 players that travel fortnightly..)

:thumbsu:

Last edited:

Saying a lot of nothing makes you a legend now?

Wow...most of BF are legends...who knew.
Err, this video just renders this whole thread pointless AND has the added bonus of having a crack at Caro for making sh!t up. Fair enough post I woulda thought.

Err, this video just renders this whole thread pointless AND has the added bonus of having a crack at Caro for making sh!t up. Fair enough post I woulda thought.

Oh, it's worth including in the thread, but 'legend'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Adam Simpson meets with AFL to discuss the inequalities that interstate teams put up with

Remove this Banner Ad

Back