Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agree with nearly all of it, except doing it mid year. I thought it should've been done end of last year but can understand why they didn't. 3 weeks ago it looked the correct call on the club's part

There's no point in not letting him coach out the year now though and hopefully have an amicable parting of ways at the end of this year
It's amazing how a 19 year old kid has saved his arse

Yes, there's no other reason for the Eagles' improved performances this year than Harley Reid. Do you guys work for the Vic media.

Fwiw I don't agree that Harley's the only reason, a much fitter list (and Yeo) is also a big part.

But it's hard to argue too hard against it given we just lost to North at home without him, and couldn't beat the Saints after they tagged him out of the game. Also, our 3 wins have been his 3 best games.

It's a pretty solid body of evidence if that was your argument

It's amazing how a 19 year old kid has saved his arse

Seems fair since putting the club in a position to get him nearly cost him his job

It’s articles like this that make me think the end of this year will be the right time for Simpson and the club to part ways

Whether or not you agree with the article is irrelevant because if Simpson coaches into 2025 these types of opinions will surface after every loss as the coach on death row circus swings into top gear.

We’ve seen the revitalisation of the club off field that Pyke has brought with a fresh set of eyes and I think the right coach could do similar to the club on field

That’s not a criticism of either Nisbett or Simpson but more an observation that a fresh perspective can be regenerative.

It’s articles like this that make me think the end of this year will be the right time for Simpson and the club to part ways

Whether or not you agree with the article is irrelevant because if Simpson coaches into 2025 these types of opinions will surface after every loss as the coach on death row circus swings into top gear.

We’ve seen the revitalisation of the club off field that Pyke has brought with a fresh set of eyes and I think the right coach could do similar to the club on field

That’s not a criticism of either Nisbett or Simpson but more an observation that a fresh perspective can be regenerative.

Unless we sign Simmo to an extension before next season begins

1718159815103.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes it's just time, and we've reached the natural conclusion of a coach's era. And we thank him for his service and move him on and it suits all parties, Simmo included. No one coaches a club forever.

I was of the sack Simmo bandwagon in 2017, and of the back Simmo bandwagon during COVID and up until this year. I admit I got it wrong both times, eventually. Similar to Worsfold, have a discussion behind closed doors, acknowledge there's nothing left to give or to prove, and go hunting for our next premiership coach. We've had three premiership coaches and only four coaches total in the past 30+ years, we are doing relatively well on this front and hope we give our next one enough time as well to make their mark.

Fwiw I don't agree that Harley's the only reason, a much fitter list (and Yeo) is also a big part.

But it's hard to argue too hard against it given we just lost to North at home without him, and couldn't beat the Saints after they tagged him out of the game. Also, our 3 wins have been his 3 best games.

I mean, we were also missing Kelly, our best midfielder for the past few years.

I'm ambivalent on whether Simpson stays or goes, he's been there 10 years and it might just be time for a refresh. But a lot of people were saying last year that injuries were no excuse and he was just a poor coach. Less injuries this year and suddenly he's a better coach. With Kelly, Allen and Reid all due back after the bye, I could also see a strong finish keeping him in the job.

Yes, there's no other reason for the Eagles' improved performances this year than Harley Reid. Do you guys work for the Vic media.
Harley is 100% the main reason for our improvement.

Not just how he plays but the enthusiasm he brings to others and the whole club and league.

When he has a quiet qtr we look tired and slow, when he's up n about we get a roll on.

He's not the "only" reason but he's the "main" reason

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

That Footyology article basically parrots the points in here, which completely misses the point as to WHY the results of the last two years, early this season, the following month and the most recent month have come about - injuries and continuity.

My favourite part is how the author talks about the comeback on the weekend and then goes on to say the players are done playing for this coach. Which is it?

As to the points about Reid, he's going to be an amazing player, and arguably our most important very soon, but McGovern is our most important player this year followed by Yeo.

Post bye is certainly important for the club as we'll have a near full strength side but we're still a draft away from being able to field 22 AFL-level players and probably 2-3 drafts away from being able to field 22 AFL-level players with a normal level of injuries.

I would like to see a little more experimentation (Maric to HBF, Ryan to spend more time in the middle, give Culley a run for the rest of the season and put him at HFF) but that will likely come with spurts of good and bad that people will just have to be patient with.

Last edited:

Kelly and Waterman missed the Saints which were huge outs.
Kelly missing against North plus 2.15 also didn't help.

Saying "No Reid, no WC" is a simplistic way of looking at it IMO.
We've also had about 8 losses with Reid in the team.

Kelly and Waterman missed the Saints which were huge outs.
Kelly missing against North plus 2.15 also didn't help.

Saying "No Reid" is a simplistic way of looking at it IMO.
We've also had about 8 losses with Reid in the team.

Don’t underestimate the absence of Hunt either.

With a relatively slow midfield we’ve missed his pace especially when Gaff was his direct replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back