Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Oscar’s presser was the usual tripe.

I would have accepted the following:

1. Hearing some real raw emotion and anger in his voice. Not smiling and joking around with the press. I want to know he’s pissed off.
2. A proper apology to the fans and members.
3. Telling us he was extremely embarrassed both personally and on behalf of his teammates with that effort.
4. Mentioning that the WAFL exists as a lever and that all players were on notice.
5. Telling us that the players had got together and had some hard honesty sessions where certain individuals were called out. No names obviously but I would like to know that this happened.

The above would have helped me digest the performance a bit better. As it is I feel like they really don’t give a toss.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Journalists need to better when Duggan says he owns it ask what it is he owns.. when he trots out the standard company line ask “Liam do you own the fact that for the past three years your disposal has been ordinary and you struggle to put a kick to a teammates advantage or infact kick most times struggle to get within the same postcode of your team mate.. do you own this and what have you done to rectify this “?

Duggan: we gotta own it

Journo: what do you own?

Duggan: 3x HJ franchises

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not a football game.

Catastrophe
noun
  1. 1.
    an event causing great and usually sudden damage or suffering; a disaster.
    "an environmental catastrophe
Well, semantics maybe, but it certainly was one of these synonyms -

catastrophe - calamity - cataclysm - tragedy - act of God - holocaust - accident
mishap - misadventure - mischance ?

I'd settle for accident, mishap, misadventure and a mischance...
Anyway, we move on...

Out of interest, what would have been an answer to satisfy the mob?

It was a dogshit game that 99% of people agree was the coach killer. You can't rectify a performance that bad in a presser, so what good is it getting mad about them saying they're going to own the result and do better - what the **** else can they say?

Keeping in mind, of course, if they say the exact perfect response it won't make a difference because it's the on field response that is all that matters from here. Pissed off for the sake of being pissed off areas when we bring the microscope out over press conferences.
There was no emotion just platitudes. Most just want to see a bit of passion.
I know Simpson is always pretty level headed but come on surely he's feeling something after that loss. Anger with the players? Thoughts on a gameplan that isnt working? How about "owning it" and telling us what he thinks the issues were, what HE did wrong and what he is going to do to fix it.
How about instead of flagging no changes you tell everyone they are on notice and they'll be changes.
I personally dont think he will "own it", I reckon he believes he is on the right path, the game plan works, we picked the right players and it was just a matter of synergy on weekend. It was all just bad luck.

Earlier in the year when Mitchell came out with fire in his eyes and called the team soft and told them to bring their mouthguards to training you know what happened next? They started to perform better. The coach can for sure set the tone and at the moment its a monotone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw a corpse bury himself during the US presidential debate.
Joe Biden Shock GIF by GIPHY News

There was no emotion just platitudes. Most just want to see a bit of passion.
I know Simpson is always pretty level headed but come on surely he's feeling something after that loss. Anger with the players? Thoughts on a gameplan that isnt working? How about "owning it" and telling us what he thinks the issues were, what HE did wrong and what he is going to do to fix it.
How about instead of flagging no changes you tell everyone they are on notice and they'll be changes.
I personally dont think he will "own it", I reckon he believes he is on the right path, the game plan works, we picked the right players and it was just a matter of synergy on weekend. It was all just bad luck.

Earlier in the year when Mitchell came out with fire in his eyes and called the team soft and told them to bring their mouthguards to training you know what happened next? They started to perform better. The coach can for sure set the tone and at the moment its a monotone.

With respect to Simmo some coaches simply struggle to do the things you are asking.
Maybe he does do it and is not getting the response? Maybe the players are running the place?

I really hope Adam goes in and coaches elsewhere someday, I genuinely think he has much to offer.
But he has run out of ideas here and we need a major circuit breaker to move forward.
Be it now which is my preference or end of year Adam Simpson cannot coach us in 2025 in my opinion.

It's at an interesting juncture. There's no way Simpson should or will be coaching this team next year, and I think anyone (including myself) who thought he could potentially get us out of the rut, or at least to a point at the end of next season where we are on a reasonable trajectory upwards had that idea blown to pieces on the weekend. With a near full strength team, there's no more excuses. We're in the weird zone of we know this relationship has run its course, we're just waiting for the breakup. It feels strange as a fan, I can only imagine how weird it must be on the inside.

It's a shame Simpson's legacy has been tarnished over this period, potentially to the point where it might be hard for him to get a gig elsewhere. He was an excellent people manager, he innovated in 2015 when the backline went down and took us to a GF (and we ripped the eventual premier a new one in a final), and we were the best team in 2018. People say Richmond were, but again, we ripped them a new one that year and beat every single team in the comp.

The fact is, the squad has some genuine stars there and some great youth. We should be better than this. The excuses have run out. Bring in the next premiership coach please.

Simpsons coaching style has many strengths and we have seen them over the journey. I believe he instills confidence in the players to do what they need to do rather than telling them. And I believe this to be a good coaching style if there is natural leaders in the team who can take the reins on the field.
But the downside to this coaching style is players becoming comfortable if they aren't challenged often enough be it game day performance, preparation or training standards. And if the leadership amongst the group is fractured or some of those players next in line for leadership aren't taking the next step or worried about their individual performance week to week.

When refreshing a group like he is attempting he needs to challenge the next group of leaders as well as holding experienced players to a higher standard than younger players. This is where we are falling down. Allen might well get there but isnt there. Duggan's performances from week to week are too inconsistent to set an example as well as him being one of the biggest panic merchants with his disposal. We've seen the younger guys come in and show the older guys like Duggan and Gaff that if you hold the ball a second longer absorb some pressure and don't panic, options will emerge. Those 2 I mentioned would rather bomb than take the physical pressure.

Lastly with his coaching style comes being slow to make the required changes to the 22. Ive mentioned before, becasue it pisses me off, but gaff getting dropped to sub to then get subbed in early and play a solid month of footy last year after plodding along for the first 15 (?) weeks of the season. It works so do it. Send them back to the 2's but dont wait 15 weeks. He made excuses for Gaff's form during 2022-23 but it didn't get better and didn't turn around until he was threatened with not being starting 21. What example does that set for younger guys coming through who play as a sub for 2 weeks get little to no footy then dropped? Confidence comes from people in experienced positions showing faith in up and comers. If we are relying on all our draft picks to naturally have the confidence of Reid on their own we are in for a long wait to get a list together.

Ive been a Simpson fan, the strengths his style have bought have worked. But the weaknesses (too slow to make changes with older players and not backing the younger players in) aren't being addressed and his strengths won't work again until we get past his weaknesses which I think are killing morale at the moment. There were signs earlier in the year that selection was improving but seems to be selecting and unbalanced older side each passing week now.
Id let him see out the year but don't think he should be back for '25.

Besides Dean Cox, who are some potential candidates to take over?

And is Coxy only being suggested as he's an ex-Eagle or is he genuinely a good shout?

Besides Dean Cox, who are some potential candidates to take over?

And is Coxy only being suggested as he's an ex-Eagle or is he genuinely a good shout?

Hayden Skipworth :collingwood:

Troy Chaplin :melbourne:

Ashley Hansen :carlton:

Chris Newman :hawthorn:

Josh Carr :port:

Jaymie Graham :freo:

Daniel Giansiracusa :essendon:

Nathan Buckley

That scene in land of the dead, where the zombies crash the main accommodation and start eating everyone, except it's the players & coaches eating each other alive.

All whilst Sam Mitchell makes a cameo throwing Gatorade everywhere.

If I remember Land of the Dead, the zombies turned things around because an inspirational leader came up with a clever new strategy and got his shambling horde working together as a unit. We should give that guy a call!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back