Prediction Round 17, 2024: Changes vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have stated above that he is obviously not going to replace one of Yeo, Kelly and Reid. But he wasn’t played when two of these players were absent, or secondly, he could be part of a rotation.

You are correct, Simpson and co don’t rate him. Question: why retain him on the list?

The casual observer would think every list position was important. But we’re probably so good we don’t have to worry about details like that.
Hes taking up as rookie spot and was signed last minute after we couldnt get another player we targeted to replace him.
For the cost of a rookie spot we get a solid WAFL contributor who can do some of the hard work in the midfield and is depth in case the injuries continued into this year.
Our inside mids include Yeo who is injury prone, Culley coming off an ACL, Reid and Hall first year players, Ginbey and Hewett as second year players, and Kelly. It made sense to keep him in case things panned out like they did last year.

We were unlikely to find anything better with a 3rd rookie pick

Hes taking up as rookie spot and was signed last minute after we couldnt get another player we targeted to replace him.
For the cost of a rookie spot we get a solid WAFL contributor who can do some of the hard work in the midfield and is depth in case the injuries continued into this year.
Our inside mids include Yeo who is injury prone, Culley coming off an ACL, Reid and Hall first year players, Ginbey and Hewett as second year players, and Kelly. It made sense to keep him in case things panned out like they did last year.

We were unlikely to find anything better with a 3rd rookie pick
Ok you’ve explained it.

They didn’t want him, they wanted someone else who they missed out on, so they signed Trew up last minute as primarily an experienced WAFL player. It’s hard to imagine the circumstances in which he would play AFL then.

So presumably Trew is happy with the situation or he wouldn’t be doing it.

Let’s not expect to see Trew then, he’s contracted as a Beagles player who’s eligible to play AFL but most likely won’t.
Papers stamped. We have it.

P.S Strikes me as sort of lazy, resigning a bloke you don’t rate, quite a number of very good players started as rookies.

Last edited:
Ok you’ve explained it.

They didn’t want him, they wanted someone else who they missed out on, so they signed Trew up last minute as primarily an experienced WAFL player. It’s hard to imagine the circumstances in which he would play AFL then.

So presumably Trew is happy with the situation or he wouldn’t be doing it.

Let’s not expect to see Trew then, he’s contracted as a Beagles player who’s eligible to play AFL but most likely won’t.
Papers stamped. We have it.

P.S Strikes me as sort of lazy, resigning a bloke you don’t rate, quite a number of very good players started as rookies.
I agree it was kind of lazy, would have been nice to get somebody who has a bit more flexibility in role so we could find a spot for them more easily. If Trew was a serviceable half forward he might have played a few games this year
Surely there was someone else in a state comp somewhere in the country looking for a shot on an AFL list who was more suitable

Think it's pretty daft we're not pumping games into Dewar.

The lack of accountability in the outs is pretty disturbing. Granted we haven't seen the final side yet but I'm not holding my breath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some incredible melts.

1. some want heads to roll. We could have done wholesale changes but Kelly,Allen,Yeo and to a lesser extent Reid were not at their best and should improve. Anybody else who would have been dropped would have been considered unlucky as hardly anyone played a good game.

2, Play the youth. With Gaff and Sheed not playing we don't have too many oldies clogging the team..
Do you want Hedwards playing in front of Mcgovern or Barrass or Trew and Culley playing in front of Kelly and Yeo
or Barnett in front of Flynn and Bwilliams.

3. Jack Darling a lot are not happy with Jack not being dropped. Are we sure that Waterman will play.
IF Jake doesn't than we go back to a more manageable three talls in our forward line.
If Jake plays maybe best idea is not to play Darling.

Last edited:
3. Jack Darling. a lot are not happy with Jack not being dropped. Are we sure that Waterman will play.
IF he doesn't than we go back to a more manageable three talls in our forward line.
If Jake plays i am not unhappy in not playing Darling.

Double negative makes that a bit confusing. If Waterman plays, what’s your position on Darling? He’s named on field so he’s not going to be cut, meaning we’re probably going in with the three talls plus two rucks again (unless Waterman misses or they decide to ruck Bailey solo). I just don’t think it’s sustainable.

2, Play the youth. With Gaff and Sheed not playing we don't have too many oldies clogging the team..
Do you want Hedwards playing in front of Mcgovern or Barrass or Trew and Culley playing in front of Kelly and Yeo
or Barnett in front of Flynn and Bwilliams.

I think we can get a bit more creative in the midfield. Kelly can play as a 'first receiver' when playing midfield and rotate off the half forward line at the expense of a one of our many tall fowards.

this opens a position for an inside mid like trew or culley to see if they have what it takes.

i feel like the team is too hamstrung with our tall forward line.

Double negative makes that a bit confusing. If Waterman plays, what’s your position on Darling? He’s named on field so he’s not going to be cut, meaning we’re probably going in with the three talls plus two rucks again (unless Waterman misses or they decide to ruck Bailey solo). I just don’t think it’s sustainable.
If Jake plays maybe best idea is not to play Darling but we all know that the mc like the idea of a very tall forward line till they realise that it will fail in most circumstances.

Anybody else who would have been dropped would have been considered unlucky as hardly anyone played a good game.

No one plays well, yet most would be ‘unlucky’ to be dropped… riiiiiiiight.

I’d say unless you have genuine excuses like still working back from injury most should actually be on notice. Imagine thinking you’re immune to being dropped because the majority of the team played poorly.

I’m not for wholesale changes necessarily, but surely that’s not the mindset we want our players to be in after last week’s display

Think it's pretty daft we're not pumping games into Dewar.

The lack of accountability in the outs is pretty disturbing. Granted we haven't seen the final side yet but I'm not holding my breath.
At least he got an extension. Was worried he’d be yet another in a long line of talented small forwards who don’t get given anywhere near enough of an opportunity and then get cut too soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back