Prediction Round 17, 2024: Changes vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, conversely, if you are in his black or red book you will never be picked. I think some, like Burgiel, have given up.

Not convinced Burgiel has done enough in the WAFL to earn a senior spot

That said, Hall and Trew on the other hand deserve to be a bit miffed at missing out. To a lesser extent, Dewar and Culley also

Unless Hutchinson and Johnston make the cut we are likely going with just one forced change (Williams for Flynn). Bold strategy after our worst loss of the year

Distinct lack of imagination in the selected side and the absence of any consequences for poor performance is hard to defend

Simpson will deserve every bit of the criticism that comes his way if this group puts in another subpar performance. It’s on the players now to let their actions speak

Have nothing against Johnston or Hutchinson for that matter but I can’t see how they are picked on form before Hall and Trew.

Simpson definitely has his favourites and his non favourites. Some can bust their guts in the twos to no effect while others get picked on what exactly.
Not in competition with each other given their positions.

I think the balance is better if Hutchinson comes in for a tall. It depends where he plays I guess if he gets selected.

From reading the WAFL match summaries, Johnston has been playing as a half back in recent weeks, essentially swapping places with Burgiel who’s been playing on the wing

Possibly Johnston in for Rotham but that seems unlikely

That said, Hall and Trew on the other hand deserve to be a bit miffed at missing out. To a lesser extent, Dewar and Culley also

Unless Hutchinson and Johnston make the cut we are likely going with just one forced change (Williams for Flynn). Bold strategy after our worst loss of the year

Distinct lack of imagination in the selected side and the absence of any consequences for poor performance is hard to defend

Simpson will deserve every bit of the criticism that comes his way if this group puts in another subpar performance. It’s on the players now to let their actions speak
Only thing I can think is the players went to the coaches and asked for a chance.
Frankly i would have told them to duck off and if they got dropped they deserved it.

I agree on Burgiel, I knew it weakened my point before I wrote it. He doesn’t deserve to be picked but he is a player with some obvious ability so I don’t know what is going on with him.

I watched a fair bit of the WAFL game last week and I can’t see how Johnston and Hutchinson were selected on performance from that game. They are being selected on potential (which would be the case with Burgiel which was why I mentioned him) or attitude at training or some other unknown.

I agree with you that it is strange that there were no omissions after last week’s horror show.
Simpson signalled this in his post game press conference, so no real surprise in one sense.

Last edited:
As will I.

Actually a bit worried that DCP will be after me for child abuse when I get back to Perth given I’m taking my two boys to their first ever game at the MCG to watch our mob go around…
Mulldogg and FKASC I too will be at the G. one can only hope the players pull their fingers out and at least make it a somewhat competitive effort. I wont be surprised if we get smashed though.

Have nothing against Johnston or Hutchinson for that matter but I can’t see how they are picked on form before Hall and Trew.

Simpson definitely has his favourites and his non favourites. Some can bust their guts in the twos to no effect while others get picked on what exactly.
Not sure about your interpretation of Johnston or Hutch here, anyone who watched the AFL game last week will know we were short just a couple more players capable of guarding space.

From reading the WAFL match summaries, Johnston has been playing as a half back in recent weeks, essentially swapping places with Burgiel who’s been playing on the wing

Possibly Johnston in for Rotham but that seems unlikely
Could be a good move. Dees forwards not going to trouble us with height, but will with speed.

Sparrow melchum picket Fritsch Bowey.

On Blade A3 SE using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not in competition with each other given their positions.

I think the balance is better if Hutchinson comes in for a tall. It depends where he plays I guess if he gets selected.
Not convinced about this inflexibility about positions.

Our wings are not exactly tearing it up. So if Trew or Hall or Ginbey were played there I don’t see us losing much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to see how he is 'adding plenty'. Statistically speaking, it's his worst season. Ever. Including his debut year. He's averaging less than 10 disposals a game, and kicking marginally more than a single goal per game. For a key forward with almost 300 games experience, that's abysmal. If we lacked forward options, it might make some sense to keep playing him. But forwards are one of the few positions were we have plenty of options.

He's being carried to 300 games and it's a joke. The milestone means nothing if you don't earn it.
His benefit is in keeping Waterman clean and doing a lot of dirty stuff. It was posted in the Darling thread earlier this week, a great rundown of how he’s ranking for tackles, spoils, one percenters etc.

As I said, aside from a tiiiiiiiny little feeling of ‘oh thats a shame’ because he won’t get to 300, if he was permanently replaced by JWill I wouldn’t care for a second. His output as a key forward that kicks goals is right down. But he’s added plenty to the team structure this year and helped Waterman immensely to not die alone out there. Now that Allen is back, he can never play again, that’s fine.

His benefit is in keeping Waterman clean and doing a lot of dirty stuff. It was posted in the Darling thread earlier this week, a great rundown of how he’s ranking for tackles, spoils, one percenters etc.

As I said, aside from a tiiiiiiiny little feeling of ‘oh thats a shame’ because he won’t get to 300, if he was permanently replaced by JWill I wouldn’t care for a second. His output as a key forward that kicks goals is right down. But he’s added plenty to the team structure this year and helped Waterman immensely to not die alone out there. Now that Allen is back, he can never play again, that’s fine.

Well that’s what I want, a bloke who plays in the forward line who is having a good year for spoils… … what an asset….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hall is in the same basket as Burgiel atm. He clearly has areas he needs to work on at WAFL level.

Not convinced about this inflexibility about positions.

Our wings are not exactly tearing it up. So if Trew or Hall or Ginbey were played there I don’t see us losing much.
Ginbey has already had stints on the wing and has looked more lost than Chesser. Play trew and hall on the wing for a week in the wafl if you are that keen to play them on a wing at AFl level.

Well that’s what I want, a bloke who plays in the forward line who is having a good year for spoils… … what an asset….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Well we’ve got a bloke in our forwardline who’s third in the Coleman and you don’t want him either, so help me out here.

Only thing I can think is the players went to the coaches and asked for a chance.
Frankly i would have told them to duck off and if they got dropped they deserved it.

Maybe McGovern and/or Waterman are possible late outs so with a chance of 2 or 3 forced changes they don’t want to make any more lest they disrupt the synergy they’re trying to build

I’m not endorsing that view btw, just searching for a potential explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back