Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simmo's definitely gone this year but how should it go down?

Firstly, if he's going to be sacked this year, may as well do it sooner rather than later, whats the point delaying?
If we act sooner, it would be a process, but we would be more likely to secure the best contender for future coach, otherwise we end up competing with the likes of Adelaide or Port.

However, he's a premiership coach, one of our top 3 longest serving, he doesn't just get dumped unceremoniously, perhaps a send-off game would be reasonable.

I'm thinking a joint press conference would happen this week or next with Pykey and Simmo announcing it.

Prefer if it happened this week so he could be sent off properly by the fans against Brisbane - rather than away at St Kilda or in an away Derby against Freo. Next best would be against Gold Coast.
I guess the problem is the coaches at good clubs are competing for finals and flags (Dean Cox). Is Cox really going to engage with us over the next ten weeks? Is sacking simpson now really going to give us more time to find a coach?

We are likely to finish second last playing a team with more than 100 games of experience per player every week. None of our young players bar Waterman have improved or progressed and some have gone backwards. We have an internal culture that has now degraded to the point of players sending negative texts about the coach to each other and then leaking them to the media. We have another 12 months of players putting in half assed efforts and normalising that and losing in their own minds. The new coach will have to reverse that mentality. We have lost 12 months of time to get a settled environment at the club to make it easier to re - sign Reid and now have 12 months left before he will be going into his 3rd year and looking to make a decision on his future.

Thats a total failure to me. A failed year. If you think it is a success because the alternative would have included shelling out a couple of million bucks to get rid of Simpson 12 months ago then you have very low standards.
Some of our other young players have clearly improved mate.

Understand Simpson's time as coach is coming to the end. However, I'm not sure what we get bringing it to a head during the season. Simpson said a few right things in his press conference after Sundays game, particularly making changes based on tbe future direction needed for the club. I took this to mean he is going to go with less experienced teams.

I am worried if they remove Simpson and put in a caretaker coach that coach will be hell bent of putting their best foot forward and will solely be focused on getting wins to enhance their chances of getting the gig permanently. This might mean they go for the tried and true experience performers over the kids.

I've sat through enough at home games for last 3 seasons that i am at the stage now I just want to see if any of the younger players can play.

I guess the problem is the coaches at good clubs are competing for finals and flags (Dean Cox). Is Cox really going to engage with us over the next ten weeks? Is sacking simpson now really going to give us more time to find a coach?
Recent history of mid season sacking/resignation usually results obtaining best available candidate before your competitor do.

Pies and Buckley allowed them to do all the dilegence before appointing McCrae. Kingsley, yze, and bunch of others interviewed.

Had Hardwick done the right thing and walk at end of season prior, I suspect tigers would've given Kingsley the Job, but instead he was given the GWS job BC they parted ways early enough.

We don't want to wait till the end of the year before seeking an entire coaching panel. We need to do due diligence on head coach and the assistance.

At end of year
Port could sack Hinkley, carr walks straight in. Now that might be a given, but if we don't give him the opportunity to consider us then we will never know.

There is also a deadline on assistance coaches tenure for the following season. We have to be in the box seat for the merry go round before new contracts are signed for next year.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am worried if they remove Simpson and put in a caretaker coach that coach will be hell bent of putting their best foot forward and will solely be focused on getting wins to enhance their chances of getting the gig permanently. This might mean they go for the tried and true experience performers over the kids.

See this argument a lot (in regards to Simpson too, he's not playing the kids because he wants to keep his job) and, well, if that's the strategy it's a piss poor one because waves hands around

Simmo is already doing that

Anyone questioning the talent on our list or think there is a distinct lack of talent in our youth need to remember that for many years the dockers had the same issue.
They always seemed to recruit poor players and when good players moved to the club the always seemed to underperform.

This is the same issue with us in recent years and I firmly believe we have the talent in our youth to challenge for finals in 2 or 3 of years if we get the coach and development staff correct.

I think our culture and state of the club isn't conducive to producing good players currently.
The Dockers never broke unwanted records like we have the last three seasons. That's what we're all up in arms about, we're not just bad with bad development, the club is worse than deathbed Fitzroy or startup GC/GWS. That goes far deeper than a simple change of development coaching staff.

Understand Simpson's time as coach is coming to the end. However, I'm not sure what we get bringing it to a head during the season. Simpson said a few right things in his press conference after Sundays game, particularly making changes based on tbe future direction needed for the club. I took this to mean he is going to go with less experienced teams.

I've sat through enough at home games for last 3 seasons that i am at the stage now I just want to see if any of the younger players can play.
We should have been seeing the youngsters played more consistently, he’s had his opportunity. Time to move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They “could” also fold the club.
Jeremy Renner Endgame GIF

Anyone questioning the talent on our list or think there is a distinct lack of talent in our youth need to remember that for many years the dockers had the same issue.
They always seemed to recruit poor players and when good players moved to the club the always seemed to underperform.

This is the same issue with us in recent years and I firmly believe we have the talent in our youth to challenge for finals in 2 or 3 of years if we get the coach and development staff correct.

I think our culture and state of the club isn't conducive to producing good players currently.
I think we have 6 problem going on at once and some people just cant get past the 1st or 2. Problems simply are

1. Terrible coaching
2. Gross unprofessionalism of many backroom staff who treat the club as a social gathering and not a work environment
3. Poor club culture born from the above + very very very poor matchday mentality/psychology
4. Disconnect between list management and coaching team. List management mostly making little sense due to that disconnect
5. Hierarchy at board and CEO level who are more interested in personal relationships then club success
6. Inability or lack of desire to spend money

Simmo is person number 1 to sack. Beyond that we need a complete removal of the WAFL coaches/staff. From the head coach to the uniform washer basically. Need to spend money on sports psychologists and the like so Harry Barnett isnt scared of the football some 3 years into his career. Need a coach who will play the players the list management team select. Mainly though the board needs to go. Fitzpatrick, Langer, Moody and Gaines need to leave the same time Simmo does. Pyke cant get a free run until Nisbetts hand puppets are sacked

In all honesty number 6 is very important. Too scared to spend money on professionals as opposed to absolute plebs

Last edited:
Where are all the Simmo lovers now?C’mon people speak up.
You certainly had plenty to say only a couple of months ago.

What - when we were competitive and picking up a couple of wins?

Wheels have fallen off, and clearly has lost the players since. I've stood by him, but it's clear that the squad isn't developing as it should. The time has come, but that's not something to revel in, or call on receipts.

Too many injuries and not enough cattle have cost him his job. Since they got rid of head of fitness during covid that was the start of the demise with too many soft tissue injuries and poor rehab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back