Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheed won't ever be a superstar but would be interesting to see if guys like knights/Schofield can get him consistently playing like he did in 2018 finals and most of 2019. That sorta form as the 3rd bannana makes him an absolute weapon as he can strike around goals too.

Speaking of goals it would nice to see both TK combine for 35-40 goals next season

Sheed won't ever be a superstar but would be interesting to see if guys like knights/Schofield can get him consistently playing like he did in 2018 finals and most of 2019. That sorta form as the 3rd bannana makes him an absolute weapon as he can strike around goals too.

Speaking of goals it would nice to see both TK combine for 35-40 goals next season

Knights and Schoey should be able try get the best out of the mids we have. Schoey is on 6pr tonight so will be interesting to see what he says.

Simmo made a point last night about the club needing to come together as one, Unity he called it. Based on him speaking about this it is clear that the club as a whole have not been on the same page including the coaching and player group.

Encouraging signs that these types of things are being aired now, much more serious things would be taking place behind closed doors. I reckon we are really going to see what the club and more importantly the players and the coach are made of next year. One way or another.

It was good to hear that but he really would have won me over if he said the credit bank was now closed and selection would be based on merit

Sheed is a good player. We don't seem to know what to do with blokes like him.

Sheed is a good player. We don't seem to know what to do with blokes like him.
When he's on, he's deadly on the outside around goals with that left raking kick...he's a receiver
not an inside scrum wrestler...seems a waste to beef him up and expect him to be an all round mid, he doesn't have the body type...he lopes more than runs, looks floppy, loose as a goose, but boy that left kick!

When he's on, he's deadly on the outside around goals with that left raking kick...he's a receiver
not an inside scrum wrestler...seems a waste to beef him up and expect him to be an all round mid, he doesn't have the body type...he lopes more than runs, looks floppy, loose as a goose, but boy that left kick!

Said it before but can they slim him down - and hopefully get some leg speed into him? It's not as though he uses his bulk like say Yeo.

So.... what was said?

Nothing groundbreaking - spent a fair bit of the interview talking about Port.

Main takeaway was that we approached him several weeks ago so from that it’s clear we identified the need for changes some time ago and well before the season was complete

Last edited:
Said it before but can they slim him down - and hopefully get some leg speed into him? It's not as though he uses his bulk like say Yeo.
Ok, I didn't think he was that beefed up, not like Yeo?
Trouble is, as a mid inside or out, you're still expected to do grunt work, tackle and get buried in packs.

Last edited:
As i repeatedly said during the year...Sheed,Gaff,Reddan....ssllllooooooow!! We really need to get rid of at least one of them.
-Two new assistants from two losing finalists?? Just coincidence!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As i repeatedly said during the year...Sheed,Gaff,Reddan....ssllllooooooow!! We really need to get rid of at least one of them.
-Two new assistants from two losing finalists?? Just coincidence!

images (25).jpeg

"Dear Simpson,
There are too many slow midfielders nowadays. Please eliminate three. I am not a crackpot!"

Sheed played like he did during those periods because he played in Gaff’s position when gaff was out for punching Brayshaw.

So there is your answer, trade gaff. Not saying we should do that.

Sheed played like he did during those periods because he played in Gaff’s position when gaff was out for punching Brayshaw.

My whole discussion has been trade Gaff. All along and I don't even mind if it's not for an amazing pick. You play Kelly on one wing and Sheed on the other.

What we then need is an established inside extractor of the ball. For me it's all about team balance.

I just don't think Gaff is worth the money we're paying him and with his endurance I think he can cover Gaff's role, but Sheed is a much more damaging kick and much more dangerous around the outside of stoppages.

So we need a hard at it grunt who isn't slow and is good at the stoppages. Even if it meant losing gaff and using next years first rounder if they are 27 or under I think it's the best bet for the club if they want to try for a shot at a premiership with this group. He's also the only player of any value not from WA on our list and could potentially be amenable to a trade. It replaces Gaff and Kelly gets to play more outside.

All depends how much the club are willing to spend and how complete a player you want. Is it a Josh Dunkley calibre player which we likely couldn't afford as he'd cost as much as gaff is getting paid our first next year and our 2 second round picks this year, is it a Willem Drew who is younger, has some deficiencies but is definitely targetable or is it a straight delisted free agent in someone like Dunstan. The problem is Dunstan is both slow and not a great kick. Or to really go out there if you want someone for a cheaper pick do you offer someone like a Mundy (yes i understand he is ancient) a 3 or 4 year position with maybe only 1 year being a playing role.

Shit if we are really chasing a premiership i'd be willing to do a swap for Cunnington and add a sweetener with a similar 3-4 year deal. If you're chasing a pure coalface extractor Libba is probably the best in the league with Cunnington second. Both seem heart and soul players but the potential of a premiership is a lure. Gotta sell the sizzle. 30 years old, north rebuilding, uncontracted end of next year etc.

You get what you pay for but what are the options realistically.

My whole discussion has been trade Gaff. All along and I don't even mind if it's not for an amazing pick. You play Kelly on one wing and Sheed on the other.

What we then need is an established inside extractor of the ball. For me it's all about team balance.

I just don't think Gaff is worth the money we're paying him and with his endurance I think he can cover Gaff's role, but Sheed is a much more damaging kick and much more dangerous around the outside of stoppages.

So we need a hard at it grunt who isn't slow and is good at the stoppages. Even if it meant losing gaff and using next years first rounder if they are 27 or under I think it's the best bet for the club if they want to try for a shot at a premiership with this group. He's also the only player of any value not from WA on our list and could potentially be amenable to a trade. It replaces Gaff and Kelly gets to play more outside.

All depends how much the club are willing to spend and how complete a player you want. Is it a Josh Dunkley calibre player which we likely couldn't afford as he'd cost as much as gaff is getting paid our first next year and our 2 second round picks this year, is it a Willem Drew who is younger, has some deficiencies but is definitely targetable or is it a straight delisted free agent in someone like Dunstan. The problem is Dunstan is both slow and not a great kick. Or to really go out there if you want someone for a cheaper pick do you offer someone like a Mundy (yes i understand he is ancient) a 3 or 4 year position with maybe only 1 year being a playing role.

sh*t if we are really chasing a premiership i'd be willing to do a swap for Cunnington and add a sweetener with a similar 3-4 year deal. If you're chasing a pure coalface extractor Libba is probably the best in the league with Cunnington second. Both seem heart and soul players but the potential of a premiership is a lure. Gotta sell the sizzle. 30 years old, north rebuilding, uncontracted end of next year etc.

Or we could just play Gaff the AA wingman on the wing itself? Sheed on the other wing, none of this defensive b.s. and he and Kelly rotate with each other off half forward as they're both good goal kickers.

sh*t if we are really chasing a premiership i'd be willing to do a swap for Cunnington and add a sweetener with a similar 3-4 year deal. If you're chasing a pure coalface extractor Libba is probably the best in the league with Cunnington second. Both seem heart and soul players but the potential of a premiership is a lure. Gotta sell the sizzle. 30 years old, north rebuilding, uncontracted end of next year etc.

people forgetting that sheed can barely hold a chest mark and is a complete liability in the back half of the ground. Gaff provides far more reliable link up. Sheed is not a wingman. Gaff is not an on baller. Both a fairly poor on the defensive side of the game and tackling, sheed in particular. Neither can break a tackle and neither are great inside players

Or we could just play Gaff the AA wingman on the wing itself? Sheed on the other wing, none of this defensive b.s. and he and Kelly rotate with each other off half forward as they're both good goal kickers.

The problem to me is carrying too much defensive liability and with the rule changes the way gaff plays is to me becoming redundant.

Sheed never played on the outside when Gaff went out but. Going into the finals they changed Redden and Sheed around. Sheed was more inside focused while Redden more time playing on a wing

Sheed never played on the outside when Gaff went out but. Going into the finals they changed Redden and Sheed around. Sheed was more inside focused while Redden more time playing on a wing
Regardless, Sheed has weapons that are more effective on the outside than the inside. Very good kick and lethal around 50m from goal. He might get more touches in stoppages but he’s not having as much impact in that role

Regardless, Sheed has weapons that are more effective on the outside than the inside. Very good kick and lethal around 50m from goal. He might get more touches in stoppages but he’s not having as much impact in that role
Yes and no. His 2018 finals arguably his best footy.

That said he is very Redden like in the sense he thrives playing a mixture of both roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back