Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just on this section of your post - I’m someone who is regularly called a sycophant for not wanting Simpson tarred, feathered and dragged through the town square every time we concede a goal. Even with that said, this is all correct mail.

People, at varying levels of seniority, are frustrated with elements of the club right now. I suspect people will read into that what they want, so to clarify I do not know what the specific gripes are. All I know is that there are some people who are finding it a very different atmosphere at the club today than it was a few years ago, which is exceedingly likely playing a part in the on field. Maybe it’s because of the on field? I don’t know.

Even as the resident sycophant it is starting to filter out of the club that some people aren’t having a great time at work at the moment. That’s the part that concerns me the most, more than result x not going our way, player y not being traded or coach z having a job.

Success papers over peoples issues, and it is very difficult/pointless to change things when things are going well, so people tend to shut up and be thankful they are at a successful club. However, when things aren't going well, people start to point fingers and get frustrated about how much they are getting paid, who gets what privileges they don't get, who isn't training hard enough etc. I would be more concerned if things were rosy behind the scenes in our current situation.

The opportunity to re-align expectations was there this season when senior guys were not performing, the standards the coaches chose to accept were the standards we tended to get during the games, sometimes good sometimes shit.

Last edited:
Senior coach needs to have a steely stare that genuinely scares the shit out of everyone. The cigar smoking Don permanently crouched over stat sheets and newspapers in the farthest office down the dimly lit corridor of dread and loathing. The guy who demands 105% and has nothing else happening in his life except making sure his boys deliver it... or else you get traded to play minor league in idaho.

The assistants should be the nice guys.

I wonder how attractive a proposition either WA club will be for assistant coaches in 2022 due to border risk and other COVID matters?

We really need some fresh ideas but I'm not sure if we are going to get many.

I think you would be surprised just how many ex players, 2nd tier coaches, other assistants are lining up to get into this boys club. There will be no shortage at all of people wanting to join a club like West Coast.
It is just a matter of who is available? What does Simmo actually want and if they can fit in with the program.

Would be rapt to see Schofield as an assistant coach next year but it’s hard to see why he’d join us now having already knocked us back previously and still with a year to run on his contract at Port

Would be rapt to see Schofield as an assistant coach next year but it’s hard to see why he’d join us now having already knocked us back previously and still with a year to run on his contract at Port
And his son still on their list.

You miss 100 per cent of the shots you don’t take though, I guess.

Hinkleys got bad breath

Maybe we should keep a spot open for Harry Taylor as a backline coach in case Jaymie Graham does leave, if he doesn't then we could still bring him in as a development coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there any reason given the wealth of our club we don’t just go stuff it and bite the bullet on the soft cap and pay the 75% extra in the dollar over that e.g. 500,000 + $375,000 (soft cap tax) to get the staff we want?

The club has taken an absolute hit in the last 2 years - they won’t be spending any more money than necessary for a few years yet. Especially if things are lean on-field too.

Is there any reason given the wealth of our club we don’t just go stuff it and bite the bullet on the soft cap and pay the 75% extra in the dollar over that e.g. 500,000 + $375,000 (soft cap tax) to get the staff we want?
We didn't become the richest club by spending money.

Kelly hardly ever left the ground at Geelong and rested forward a lot. We sit him on the bench when he is not on the ball.
So again it all comes back to set up and team structures. It is not that the players are not able to hit the scoreboard.

100% game plan/tactics.

Other teams would love to have our forward line of recent years, but it would be nice to have more avenues to goal. LeCras retired, Willie got on the bongs and Ryan has missed a few games with injury. A potent forward 6 is great but you can't rely on all of them being there all the time.

Wait was Dylan82 once interviewed for the Brisbane Lions head coach position?

surely get him in as our midfield coach
That’s very clearly not what it says. If only your Avengers spoilers were this inaccurate :(

knew a lot of the guys that played under schofield at subi. runs a pretty tight ship.

really valued contested ball.

hope we get him
How much credit someone can get for a dynasty at Subiaco is up to your personal view on the situation. They’ve hardly struggled without him. With that said, his track record there combined with Port’s success during his tenure means he is at least not an actively bad coach.

So you’ve got someone who is at worst an average coach, who values things we struggle with, and will come in to the situation with fresh eyes. That alone is a win, and I’m not prepared to say his ceiling is average coach only. Should be a very good start to revamping things if he comes aboard.

Just on this section of your post - I’m someone who is regularly called a sycophant for not wanting Simpson tarred, feathered and dragged through the town square every time we concede a goal. Even with that said, this is all correct mail.

People, at varying levels of seniority, are frustrated with elements of the club right now. I suspect people will read into that what they want, so to clarify I do not know what the specific gripes are. All I know is that there are some people who are finding it a very different atmosphere at the club today than it was a few years ago, which is exceedingly likely playing a part in the on field. Maybe it’s because of the on field? I don’t know.

Even as the resident sycophant it is starting to filter out of the club that some people aren’t having a great time at work at the moment. That’s the part that concerns me the most, more than result x not going our way, player y not being traded or coach z having a job.
Everyone (including me) takes the piss out of my Simmo party story but mark my words, this unrest all stems from that and that kind of mentality from the coaches. Simpson has his favourites with credits in the bank who can do no wrong and don't cop it anywhere near as much as the other guys.

How much credit someone can get for a dynasty at Subiaco is up to your personal view on the situation. They’ve hardly struggled without him. With that said, his track record there combined with Port’s success during his tenure means he is at least not an actively bad coach.

So you’ve got someone who is at worst an average coach, who values things we struggle with, and will come in to the situation with fresh eyes. That alone is a win, and I’m not prepared to say his ceiling is average coach only. Should be a very good start to revamping things if he comes aboard.

100% agree you look at the list he inherited and some players they brought in during his tenure and its safe to say they were never lacking cattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back