Adrian Dodoro: Football’s Biggest Fraud IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not how many stats Setterfield gets, it's what he does with them. It's his vision and anticipation out of the stoppages that really sets him apart. Has the kind of touch that few players have. If we are going to contrast him with McGrath, which is a little pointless given they don't play the same position (which was basically my point - Essendon should have gone for a tall inside mid) McGrath gets a lot of cheapies that end up going sideways.

I've already indicated I don't think Parish is any better than a solid B-grader. He hasn't kicked on an all since his first few seasons and hasn't much improvement left. Francis hasn't kicked on after 5 years on the list. I've already said I rate Draper.

It's more the density of talent and upside that is impressive TDK, SPS, Setterfield, Williamson and Fisher still have a heap of improvement left IMO. I don't see Guelfi or Clarke or Redman or BZT having very big ceilings. More C-D graders.

Those are extreme rose coloured glasses with Setterfield. He has time on his side but he is doing very little with big midfield minutes.

Those are extreme rose coloured glasses with Setterfield. He has time on his side but he is doing very little with big midfield minutes.

Nah he's been very good this year. Big tackle numbers, and clinical work around the ground. He is developing into a very good inside midfielder, and hasn't hit 50 games yet.

We're chuffed with how he's tracking.

It's not how many stats Setterfield gets, it's what he does with them. It's his vision and anticipation out of the stoppages that really sets him apart. Has the kind of touch that few players have. If we are going to contrast him with McGrath, which is a little pointless given they don't play the same position (which was basically my point - Essendon should have gone for a tall inside mid) McGrath gets a lot of cheapies that end up going sideways.

I've already indicated I don't think Parish is any better than a solid B-grader. He hasn't kicked on an all since his first few seasons and hasn't much improvement left. Francis hasn't kicked on after 5 years on the list. I've already said I rate Draper.

It's more the density of talent and upside that is impressive TDK, SPS, Setterfield, Williamson and Fisher still have a heap of improvement left IMO. I don't see Guelfi or Clarke or Redman or BZT having very big ceilings. More C-D graders.

I didn’t mind the debate but this shows you know nothing about Essendon or McGrath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah he's been very good this year. Big tackle numbers, and clinical work around the ground. He is developing into a very good inside midfielder, and hasn't hit 50 games yet.

We're chuffed with how he's tracking.

McGrath is at a level you hope will can get to.
Andrew has mother level, if not two to go before reaching his ceiling.

Like Richmond supporters when provided facts, resort to how he looks when playing every game (re Noah Balta in the D&T threads).

Gee he looks good, he could be anything.. lol

Yep, after taking Weitering, McKay, curnow and cuningham SOS selected Jack with pick 53. Whereas Dodo selected parish, Francis, Alex Morgan and Mitch brown!!!

In 2018 SOS selected Ben with selection 70. So he used picks 53 & 70 on father/sons.

Dodo? How do you rate his performance? And his wasting selections on father/son Duds like Jake Long, Tom Wallis, Darcy Daniher and Jay Neagle - who collectively played half the games of Jack Silvagni?

If you’re going to go after father/sons at least provide some insight.

Long was a rookie pick so long odds to make it. As was Wallis. Darcy Daniher was crippled by injury and retired by 26 (iirc). Jay Neagle was lazy and not up to the standard.

Like Richmond supporters when provided facts, resort to how he looks when playing every game (re Noah Balta in the D&T threads).

Gee he looks good, he could be anything.. lol

It’s crazy how it just so happens all of Essendon’s young players have limited potential and all Carlton’s youngsters are future stars :drunk:

If you’re going to go after father/sons at least provide some insight.

Long was a rookie pick so long odds to make it. As was Wallis. Darcy Daniher was crippled by injury and retired by 26 (iirc). Jay Neagle was lazy and not up to the standard.

Is this post a joke? Is it only Essendon posters who can throw shit?

I’m responding to an Essendon poster slagging SOS for drafting his ‘Dud’ sons with selections 53 & 70 and putting it in to perspective against Dodo’s father/son selections.

If you’re going to give it...

It’s crazy how it just so happens all of Essendon’s young players have limited potential and all Carlton’s youngsters are future stars :drunk:

You sound a bit scorned, but yeh ultimately I don't really rate Essendon's young players, but do rate the group we've got coming through. But that is part and parcel of trading off picks for a whole bunch of guys who are pretty good but not really good aka Stringer, Smith, Shiel.

You sound a bit scorned, but yeh ultimately I don't really rate Essendon's young players, but do rate the group we've got coming through. But that is part and parcel of trading off picks for a whole bunch of guys who are pretty good but not really good aka Stringer, Smith, Shiel.

I just think as soon as a player puts on the Navy Blue they improve 20-30% in your estimation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No
We’ve won 12 games in each of the last 3 years making finals twice with our mediocre list. Carlton have only won 12 games once in the last 10 years. How about you at least achieve the dizzy heights of mediocrity before bragging about your list.
No offence but if I had to ch
The only thing I know about SOS is he got his dud sons a gig.

But sounds like he did a good job. Seems strange he’d be fired. Sounds like Ratten.
if I’m not mistaken dodoro put in a bid on jack silvani at draft so bit of a silly comment hey

That’s an interesting post as you seem to know so much about the history of our club! I’m tipping you made Negative comments when SOS was the list manager, you know, the bloke who selected McKay and Curnow after Dodo chose Parish and Francis.

It's easy to be a hindsight hero though. Francis and Parish were always rated highly in that draft. Essendon taking the best available midfielder made a lot of sense at the time. Francis also was rated extremely highly by many recruiters, not just Dodoro. We already had a 200cm tall forward in Daniher, so I can see why they didn't go for Mckay. Two 200cm fowards rarely work well together. Curnow would of been very handy, but many recruiters had Francis ahead of him.

I agree that considering our picks, that was definitely not one of our better drafts. Carlton did very well, as you would hope with picks 1,10,12,23 with a dominant player available as the consensus #1. Mckay went at 10 which was around where he was expected to go. Silvagni stated that Charlie Curnow's arrest had forced them to reassess the teenager ahead of the AFL draft. Lately Essendon have put emphasis on drafting players based on their character - something which I don't agree with as I believe we need to take more risks. But I am not surprised we overlooked Curnow, as did other clubs.

But that is definitely one draft you got right. On the other hand, you have barely taken any players of note outside the first round in the last eight drafts or so. You would have to have the worst drafting record in the league for finding players outside of round 1 (Jack Martin does not count).

SPS is actually very average. Parish and McGrath are miles ahead of him. You'd need to be incredibly biased not to see that.

Setterfield is better than SPS, but still not impressive enough for him to be deemed a star. Again, Parish and McGrath have more runs on the board than Setterfield.

In fact, Parish and McGrath are better than any of those "youngsters" you mentioned.

Talent is Curnow, McKay and Weitering. Those are the players you can safely project as being stars. The others are speculative at best.

SPS is actually very average. Parish and McGrath are miles ahead of him. You'd need to be incredibly biased not to see that.

Setterfield is better than SPS, but still not impressive enough for him to be deemed a star. Again, Parish and McGrath have more runs on the board than Setterfield.

In fact, Parish and McGrath are better than any of those "youngsters" you mentioned.

Talent is Curnow, McKay and Weitering. Those are the players you can safely project as being stars. The others are speculative at best.

Who's saying Setterfield is a star? He's a high quality young player who's having a breakout year, cutting up teams with his read and vision at the stoppages.

Parish is a dime-a-dozen low ceiling mid who hasn't got any better since his debut season. The guys I've mentioned have barely played any footy, but are already good players, and improving rapidly. Someone like Williamson has that perfect combination of speed, nous, toughness and courage. Fisher has elite touch, and great goal sense. Such a classy player.

I just don't see much with Parish. He's too slow and overall a very bland player. You can pickup these type of players in the 2nd and 3rd round of the draft. For a Pick 5 he's pretty banal.

But yes the players I've mentioned plus all of Curnow, McKay, Weitering (and Walsh) is a great group.

It's easy to be a hindsight hero though. Francis and Parish were always rated highly in that draft. Essendon taking the best available midfielder made a lot of sense at the time. Francis also was rated extremely highly by many recruiters, not just Dodoro. We already had a 200cm tall forward in Daniher, so I can see why they didn't go for Mckay. Two 200cm fowards rarely work well together. Curnow would of been very handy, but many recruiters had Francis ahead of him.

I agree that considering our picks, that was definitely not one of our better drafts. Carlton did very well, as you would hope with picks 1,10,12,23 with a dominant player available as the consensus #1. Mckay went at 10 which was around where he was expected to go. Silvagni stated that Charlie Curnow's arrest had forced them to reassess the teenager ahead of the AFL draft. Lately Essendon have put emphasis on drafting players based on their character - something which I don't agree with as I believe we need to take more risks. But I am not surprised we overlooked Curnow, as did other clubs.

But that is definitely one draft you got right. On the other hand, You would have to have the worst drafting record in the league for finding players outside of round 1 (Jack Martin does not count).
Love the excuses for Dodo’s drafting, but you are very light on for facts. Hindsight is a wonderful thing..you really should use it re Carltons drafting after the first round.

2019 - too soon to tell
2018 - Stocker (19), no picks until 66 (O’Dwyer) and 70 (Ben silvagni) both speculative KPP. Pre-season supp selections Gibbons & Cottrell
2017 - DeKoning (30)
2016 - Fisher (25), Williamson (61)
2015 - Cuningham (23), JSOS (53)

Granted that pre SOS we were the worst in the league at drafting young talent.

Last edited:
Who's saying Setterfield is a star? He's a high quality young player who's having a breakout year, cutting up teams with his read and vision at the stoppages.

Parish is a dime-a-dozen low ceiling mid who hasn't got any better since his debut season. The guys I've mentioned have barely played any footy, but are already good players, and improving rapidly. Someone like Williamson has that perfect combination of speed, nous, toughness and courage. Fisher has elite touch, and great goal sense. Such a classy player.

I just don't see much with Parish. He's too slow and overall a very bland player. You can pickup these type of players in the 2nd and 3rd round of the draft. For a Pick 5 he's pretty banal.

But yes the players I've mentioned plus all of Curnow, McKay, Weitering (and Walsh) is a great group.

When was the last time Carlton found a midfielder as good as Parish outside of the first round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back