Opinion AFC - Whipping Boy Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
I thought to myself what a team would look like if we chose all our whipping boys in it, not necessarily the worse players but players that the fans just never loved but had careers at the club but never received much love from us or the coach.

Already I have my followers listed: Pittman, Liptak and Shirley.

In fairness to Pittman he was loved by many but was the whipping boy of the messiah one game.

Half Forward Line: Perrie McGregor (the guy from North Adelaide that couldnt kick properly)

Full Forward: Scott Hodges

You mean Nick Gill?

I don't ever remember him being a whipping boy?

I also don't ever recall Scott Hodges being a whipping boy either, he was well supported in the early days.

Perrie, Skipworth, D Gallagher, Massie, Shirley, Doughty, S Stevens, Robran (c), Ingerson, Connell (vc), Douglas, Reilly, Tambling, Moran, Cook, Tregenza, Symes, Chalmers, Jericho... some beauties over the years.

OK my attempt

FB: Massie ~ Chalmers ~ Smith
HB: Otten ~ Ingerson ~ Symes
C: Tregenza~ Cook ~ Gallagher
HF: Stevens ~ Robran ~ Jericho
FF: Liptak ~ Wigney ~ Bond
Ruck: Marsh ~ Douglas ~ Rowe

Interchange: Gilligan ~ Eccles ~ Schuback ~ Schmidt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Carey get on the bench? Terrible trade, not sure if he gets classified as a whipping boy...

Still kicked 56 goals in 28 games. That's 2 a game.

In hindsight, that trade didn't work out but when you put all the cards on the table at the end of the 2002 season - we had to make that decision.

B. Viska Tasker. collins.
Hb. Rielly Pitman Warrior.
C. Connell A jarman b williams
Hf Carey Robran Brown
FF. Sanderson Modra Welsh
R. Hudson Mcguiness Matner

Perrie, Skipworth, D Gallagher, Massie, Shirley, Doughty, S Stevens, Robran (c), Ingerson, Connell (vc), Douglas, Reilly, Tambling, Moran, Cook, Tregenza, Symes, Chalmers, Jericho... some beauties over the years.
Robran for captain definitely.

Welsh needs a spot.
Yes to Sellar.

Who was the Ruckman blight benched for a whole game? Wore the #2? Hewitt?

whats the definition of whipping by here though? some of the players mentioned so far are just out and out spuds.

surely you have to actually have some decent footballing attributes, but are "in some eyes" unfairly critiqued to be a whipping boy. ie. someone must rate you to be eligible for whipping boy status.

the makes Smith, Gilligan, Warrior, Douglas, Schuback and Wigney spuds, not whipping boys.

I was at the game in 94 where hawthorn spanked us by 100 in the wet and Warrior tried bouncing the ball, the water splashed higher.

Boy did he deserve a cat of nine tails.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back