Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 20 4.1%
  • Pies by 7-20

Votes: 116 23.6%
  • Lions by 7-20

Votes: 216 43.9%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 47 9.6%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 53 10.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 11 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest ever comeback in a grand final at 3/4 is 24 points in 1984. They’d want to be a bit closer I’d reckon.
Maybe, but it's all mental. They'll both be knackered at that stage with the heat, in this scenario.
The crowd starts "Coooollingwoood, Coooollingwoood", get a quick goal or two, and tired Lions could try and save it, which won't end well if 20 points up with 15 minutes to go...

It is okay to admit Frampton is a complete dud. He played a terrible game and was lucky to be on the right side of the result.

Every year a few stinkers slip through.

It is unfortunate that McStay and Adams couldn’t be there but the grand final is about the 23 on the day. History says Frampton is a premiership player. Has done more than us blokes arguing about him. But he’s no good.

I'm not Jesus but if he was still around even he would have thought that Brisbane got crucified today.

At least the Pies won a proper GF this time even if it was due to having another big home ground advantage and a good run with the umpires
Confirming the original statement. Giant flog.

Lions fans you still lead the Pies v lions GF h2h 2-1, don’t let ‘em forget it 😂
Saints supporters are completely irrelevant. 1 premiership in your long miserable history. 🙄

Soft 50 which was a 65 metre free
Rewarding head ducks but only when they feel like it
The botched advantage

It somehow got worse with the finals - which is rare. I would wager this Granny only ranks behind 2016 as least legitimate. Both teams got over GWS in a tight prelim with umpire help as well.
Didn’t the dogs in 2016 win the free count by a significant margin? If you care to have a look at todays game lions win free kick count by 6. But I guess you want to focus on the advantage call while forgetting Mc luggage out of bounds, Bailey smothering cox kick while standing a metre from a player taking a kick from a mark and plenty of other marginal calls going lions way. Salty campaigner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most people didn't think that was a block in 2018. That was a fairytale manufactured by Collingwood people in the media. That being paid would have meant about 80 more should be paid each game.
Crap. I’m happy to defer to Leigh Mathews, who at the time pointed out it was a clear block and free kick every day of the week

I deliberately stayed away from BF today as sometimes I find the relentless negativity from people desperate for any reason they can devalue others achievements spoils my own enjoyment of the game.

So I went for a walk with my GF, made a bunch of really delicious food, got some beers in, sat down with no device to distract me and enjoyed one of the great GF's of recent times. Marvelled at the incredible skill of Bobby Hill and the way players from both clubs were mostly able to settle and kick great goals under the intense pressure.

After half time it became a war of attrition and the tension was incredible as the players tired in the heat. Couldn't believe it when Sidebottom hit that kick but thought the game might have one more twist and sure enough Cameron pulled of the miraculous.

I confess I was disappointed when that advantage was called as it put a black mark on what had been a mostly decent effort from the umps under incredible pressure but ultimately I thought it was a fair result & the best team all year got the cup. Really both teams had been excellent all year and Brisbane will be gutted and ultimately feel they let one slip.

But the thing about this Collingwood team they can almost never be counted out. Their ability to suddenly switch gears and put score on after having been on the back foot for long periods is uncanny. That they won this without a couple of their best 22 and losing a key defender early made it even more impressive.

The cult of Nick Daicos gets a little tiresome but his ability to influence the game in key moments with composure and game sense beyond his years and his elite skills is undeniable.

On the edge of our seats for the last quarter and teared up a bit at the presentation watching the joy of Peter Moore and Peter Daicos celebrating their sons achievements and the deserved Norm Smith for Bobby Hill who played one of the great Grand Finals.

A really enjoyable and after reading the last 10 pages of so of this thread I'm so glad I stayed away.

Gee your "premiership team" certainly struggled to beat us on anzac day.
Imagine trying to trash talk the premiers while supporting a team that hasn’t even won a final for nearly 20 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Back