Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 10 - North v Swans Sat May 20th 1:45pm AEST (Marvel) Footage of interchange in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• North by a goal or less

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North by 7 - 20

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • North by a lot

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

mqdefault.jpg

Just set up a little $10 electronic scoreboard over on the wing between benches

An amber light flashes when a team gets to 70 interchanges.
The interchange steward gets off his arse, walks over to the team's bench and manually counts it down.

"71.... 72.... 73.... TWO MORE!!! 74... ONE MORE!!! 75... THAT'S IT, GUYS... WE'RE DONE!!"

See, I'm a problem solver.

I'd have thought giving the interchange people for each team a couple of brooms so they can knock down the 76th bloke coming off before he crosses the interchange line and then sweep him back into the field of play was more pragmatic.

It’s lucky that no other team has ever had two players coming off at the same time at the 74th change.

What’s the consensus? Tank?

And yet they have the audacity to complain about the 2016 grand final, suggesting the AFL has any desire to drum up a plan to see success in the western suburbs of Melbourne as opposed to the NRL dominating state of NSW is laughable.
Sydney losing that grand final had nothing to do with the umpires and more to do with Sydney's stupidity with how they played the second half and the Bulldogs midfield and running defenders taking advantage of it. As for the game today, the standard of umpiring was terrible all day, especially with the number of htb decisions that were missed. Although I will admit that Sydney did get the benefit more often than not today.

That being said, the result today was more due to North's younger players panicking and going away from what was working for them than any advantage Sydney got from the umpiring. One team showed a tiny bit more composure late while the other panicked. Scott in particular showed a lack of composure on multiple occasions.

That is true, however, they warn the players with the 6, 6, 6 rule. It was a such a costly mistake.

The game is still over-officiated, we almost have a best 22 adjudicating each game ffs.

there shouldn’t be a warning for 6-6-6 anymore, it should have been there as a transitio because, again, how hard is it to be in the right starting spot for a centre bounce.

That down the ground replay showed that the actual 76th interchange took place well before the ball made its way down to the Swans forward pocket. (As in there was no interchange made during that replay footage, nor was there even a North player running on from the interchange, therefore is must have taken place much earlier)

Had the 5th umpire instantly recognised and called it at the time of the offence, the ball most likely was still up on the wing (as multiple interchanges took place at this point of time). Therefore, even with the 50, Swans would have been shooting roughly from 50-60 out.

But the ridiculous delay meant the ball got down to the swans forward pocket before the umpire clued on it it, probably checked his numbers, and then radioed it through to the controlling umpire.

There will be hell to pay if the interchange is shown to have taken place while the ball was on the wing

Looks like the interchange happened after a goal so ball would have been in the centre of the ground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there shouldn’t be a warning for 6-6-6 anymore, it should have been there as a transitio because, again, how hard is it to be in the right starting spot for a centre bounce.
I don't disagree, I find it funny that the umpires verbalise the warning to the ruckmen, they must think "so, what the fk can I do about it?"

North pretty stiff, this situation doesn’t happen too often. Not having a go here but whenever St Kilda lost under Ratten the only answers he gave during press conferences was “yeah we look at that during the week” or “yeah we will learn from that”, Be prepared for nothing from the man north

Here's the rub. Official rule: free kick and 50m penalty. Pragmatic umpiring: no effect let the game play out.
Official rule: climb goal post, 50 m penalty. Pragmatic umpiring, let him kick from 55 m out.
BUT
If the shoe was on the other foot would it be the same?

Remember when Chad Warner booted the ball into the crowd when he heard the siren and the umpires didn't award a Prestia a 50m penalty?

Remember when Dane Rampe climbed the goal post and there was no free kick paid against him?

Remember when Tom Papley took a dive after kicking a goal vs Hawthorn and was rewarded with another goal?

Remember when Barry Hall punched Matt Maguire in the solar plexus 100m away from the action, but the tribunal said it occurred "in the play" ?

These were all manufactured Swans victories by less than a kick. I guess we can add another to the list.
You're also missing the one where Jeremy Cameron wasn't paid a mark that was called as not going 15m.

There's been a fair few insane endings to Swans games (not even counting the ones that were insane but not controversial)!

North need to be investigated for tanking, no way a professional football club can accidentally do this to lose a game with less than a minute to go.
Well the AFL started questioning us on why we played Kayne Turner every week. The cat was almost out of the bag

So we had to change it up.

Still can't see what's controversial.
In any case Swans were well forward and would have won regardless.
There's nothing controversial. I think a lot of folk, including me, quietly hope North improve, and there may be empathy for Ratts too. Getting so close is a bitter pill. That's life, it's a game though, so it really shouldn't make people self lacerate or make silly justifications. Lessons will be leart, that's the plus side of such games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 10 - North v Swans Sat May 20th 1:45pm AEST (Marvel) Footage of interchange in OP

Back