AFL Grand Final AFL 2024 GRAND FINAL - Swans v Lions Sat Sept 28th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 66 29.9%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 31 14.0%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that 2/3 field umpires from 2016 are back very much concerns me...
I assume Matt Stevic is one of them?

Not a fan of him either. Funny thing is he was an umpire in the Swans vs port preliminary final last week. Swans just wanted kick as many goals as possible early to make sure that won't be a factor.

He was one of the 3 umpires in the 2012 grand final as well wasn't he?

I assume Matt Stevic is one of them?

Not a fan of him either. Funny thing is he was an umpire in the Swans vs port preliminary final last week. Swans just wanted kick as many goals as possible early to make sure that won't be a factor.

He was one of the 3 umpires in the 2012 grand final as well wasn't he?
Stevic and Meredith were two of the three. However Scott Jeffery was the worst of all and thankfully he no longer umpires.

The early calls in the Port game were atrocious. Umpires just wanted to impose themselves on the game and gave Port some easy goals.

My gut says umpires will ruin this Grand Final.

Posted this on the footy jumpers board...
this is a nice jumper match up in theory, but not great for afternoon telly. Take for example from rd 19:
View attachment 2118058
Unless Sydney were also to wear white shorts, which they seldom do, I just can't see the AFL allowing that mash up for their marquee match - and also can't imagine Swans not pushing for their full home kit, which they've earnt the right to wear.

I think logically it's going to be Sydney in their home kit and Brisbane in their Bears clash:
View attachment 2118068
It's really not a bad look imo.
Bears jumper is awful. Why couldn’t they wear the maroon and blue with white shorts? Don’t tell me that clashes with Sydney’s kit?

I guess you and other cats fans like JackFlash are happy that Ross Lyon won't be in this grand final? LoL
I'm not happy about anything to do with football at the moment, but yes Ross Lyon not being there will make it slightly more bearable to watch i suppose. I'm watching it at a lunch with some mates who support Richmond and Essendon, so it could be worse!

Will be interesting to see if the swans try to force starcevich to play on a fast small fwd. Surely the ghost of bobby hills gf performance still looms large in the back of starcevich's mind, might be ripe for someone like papely to exploit him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane, who will be getting this years Number One pick and got the Number One pick from two years ago. What a league!
Yeah, have to say . . .as someone who had kids going through the talent system at the same time as Father/Sons, I don't agree with the father son BS. They absolutely do get a leg up. But, we were certainly not the first to benefit from a golden run of F/S and you can guarantee we will not be the last.

Yeah, have to say . . .as someone who had kids going through the talent system at the same time as Father/Sons, I don't agree with the father son BS. They absolutely do get a leg up. But, we were certainly not the first to benefit from a golden run of F/S and you can guarantee we will not be the last.
No one gave a **** when we were trotting out the Brown brothers and Will Kelly…

No asterisk?

Have you not heard of this little thing called academies?
apparently all the academies do is take a few talentless rugba heretics every season and convert them to the lords game . . .spitting out the odd AFL level player once every 3 to 4 years. Is that enough for an asterisk?

Bears jumper is awful. Why couldn’t they wear the maroon and blue with white shorts? Don’t tell me that clashes with Sydney’s kit?
They’ve never had a good jumper across their two club history.

The last few sides to make a grand final from outside the top 4 have had the dream run come crushing down on Grand Final day.

The Giants were just never in it in 2019 (after a very similar run to Brisbane's, with an incredibly close semi final away & close prelim final away too), and the Dogs faded out of 2021 with the Demons fresher legs taking over.

I think there's a reason there's only been one premier from outside the top 4. I would obviously love to be wrong, but think this will be a Sydney win, and possibly a relatively comfortable one too.

Can't completely use that excuse for the Dogs in 2021. There was a week off between the prelim and Grand Final that year. Both teams pretty much went in as fresh as one another.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final AFL 2024 GRAND FINAL - Swans v Lions Sat Sept 28th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Back