AFL Grand Final AFL 2024 GRAND FINAL - Swans v Lions Sat Sept 28th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 21 8.4%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 72 28.9%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 85 34.1%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 36 14.5%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 8 3.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Great decision by Longmire imo, finally learnt his lesson đź‘Ź

No room for sentiment in a grand final

And that's my point - I contend that Longmire HASN'T learnt his lesson.

If he needed a full game under the belt in the eyes of the coaches etc, then the fitness test today was irrelevant and the decision could have been made a week ago.

But what is being reported and what hasn't been otherwise clarified by the Swans, was that it relied solely on training at 100% today, which he did.

I feel that the process has been muddied unnecessarily and reflects a level of uncertainty, stemming from 2022 - will it matter? Who knows, but from outside it looks confused and indecisive.

And that's my point - I contend that Longmire HASN'T learnt his lesson.

If he needed a full game under the belt in the eyes of the coaches etc, then the fitness test today was irrelevant and the decision could have been made a week ago.

But what is being reported and what hasn't been otherwise clarified by the Swans, was that it relied solely on training at 100% today, which he did.

I feel that the process has been muddied unnecessarily and reflects a level of uncertainty, stemming from 2022 - will it matter? Who knows, but from outside it looks confused and indecisive.
Grasping at straws I think.

Yep, and truth be told Reid declaring himself fit that day has tainted my memory of his career. It was a selfish call on his part. Mills being part of the decision not to play only enhances my opinion of him.

It wasn't his decision. If he was selected Mills would've played

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be pretty pissed if I was told I had to do xyz, did xyz, and then got told nah.

I find it hard to believe that he has done exactly what he was told he had to do and not been picked.

Perhaps he ticked the boxes to be deemed “fit”, but isn’t moving well enough to justify dropping a player who has performed well in a prelim.

It happens every year at 100s of footy clubs, there’s always someone who’s a little bit hard done by, and only hindsight will tell you what the right call is.

I find it hard to believe that he has done exactly what he was told he had to do and not been picked.

Perhaps he ticked the boxes to be deemed “fit”, but isn’t moving well enough to justify dropping a player who has performed well in a prelim.

It happens every year at 100s of footy clubs, there’s always someone who’s a little bit hard done by, and only hindsight will tell you what the right call is.

Yeah, I get the footy aspect insofar as fitness goes.

My discussion point stems from him simply not having sufficient time and opportunity to prove his fitness - the known points revolve around the length of time it takes as an average and that he wasn't going to have the benefit of a full game to prove his fitness that way.

It simply makes me wonder exactly what he could have done to prove his fitness.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final AFL 2024 GRAND FINAL - Swans v Lions Sat Sept 28th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Back