Preview AFL 2024 Preliminary Final - Cats v Lions Sat Sept 21st 5:15pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 31 20.3%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 58 37.9%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 38 24.8%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong have Bruhn, Bowes, Atkins playing massive midfield time. These are VFL level players.
And what do Brisbane have? Neale on one leg and a VFL defence apart from Andrews who refused to play Hogan.

How Fagan refused to switch Payne and Andrews fills me with full confidence Fagan is even more hopeless than I thought.

Well L Neale is currently in a moon boot so you’d hope that ankle holds up.
Interview on SEN said he's fine just needs the painkillers. They'll dose him up and he'll be fine.

More worried that when he they wore off Brisbane threw Ashcroft through there and he was good. Like brilliantly good. If Ashcroft was still recovering from that ACL we'd be facing GWS coming off a comfortable win.

Bris should get the better of them in the middle. If they somehow manage to kick straight it won’t be particularly close
If Port's midfield didn't get the better of Geelong's, why would you be so confident that Brisbane's would?

I struggle to see this as a genuine take and not simply a passive troll.

There used to be not long ago a theme around Geelong after a week off. What's the story currently with the Cats last few years?

So much respect for Geelong as a team. There’s a reason we haven’t beat them at the Cattery for two decades. Will be tricky beating them on a ground they play so well.

I’d ask for Geelong to just let us have this one after smoking us so much in prelims in the past. Unfortunately Brad Scott is brutal and won’t let us ever be happy.
😂😂😂😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Port's midfield didn't get the better of Geelong's, why would you be so confident that Brisbane's would?

I struggle to see this as a genuine take and not simply a passive troll.
I rate Neale Dunkley McCluggage Ashcroft higher than Danger Atkins Bruhn Holmes, as I’m sure most impartial supporters would?

Port mids also won the centre clearances and contested possessions/inside 50s were fairly even. Butters not giving a yelp didn’t help

Easy to confuse a genuine opinion with trolling when you’re ill informed (or just going by team supported)

I went in to the 2022 prelim thinking we are a slight chance and that if we play really well and Geelong are a bit off that's our chance.

This time is different and whilst I'm not saying we will win but if we play well we can win
Your first paragraph was apt before and it is exactly the same now.

Why is this time different?

I think your definition of choke job needs re-imagining lmao. Ultra consistent team that has been to many prelims & a GF. Not easy too do on a repeated basis, such a team should be lauded not laughed at. Go laugh at North.

Maybe it's just a case of listening to trolls for 10 years when the Cats were in a similar position of multiple Prelim failures until finally breaking through in 2022. Don't become like them.
Lions are a good side, not a great side, but a very solid team with some great talent. I don't think Brisbane as every been the best side in any given year since the early 2000s.

I do see similarities between Geelong of 2012-2021 where, in that decade or time period if you will, Geelong was ultra consistent, but just never quite the best side.

I think a choke can only be defined as losing a game or a flag when you were the best side and favourites to win. Losing to Collingwood in last year's Grand Final was by no definition a choke.

West Coast, North Melbourne and, this year, Richmond, are clubs which could be laughed at. But, hey, picking on those clubs seems like easy pickings and way too obvious to troll.

Can really see my boy Neale getting off the leash and tearing it up.
Nah, Lachie has a bung foot.

Oh, wait...

Yeah, I think the big fella will tear it up!

Neale will redefine the meaning of Joe the goose from, "he who loves to hear Queen Elsa after kicking a sausage" to "bagging a haul of goals in the square from elite gut-running."

Do Geelong tag? Curious to see if they take a leaf out of GWS book and go more man on man which really seemed to kill our game.

Difference between a game and being match hardened for finals coming off WC and a disinterested Port.
Youve basically played 1 half of competitive footy since mid August, when WC rallied and even then I'd say you'd racked the cue.

Will be interesting to see how the teams start..
A disinterested port?

Talk about arrogance. Is it quite possible that port were just beaten by a better team on the day? Or do you think port just dont feel like playing in a final for some reason?

That’s not true at all, they’re also in this position because of a generous fixture
Wins away from home against Port, Brisbane, Hawthorn, Footscray, Fremantle and Collingwood got Geelong through to a home prelim.

Giants, Port and Footscray are the only teams from the top 10 that Brisbane have beaten away from home.

The Cats have proven their stripes more than the Lions this season.

Brisbane lost their "top 4 elimination finals" against GWS and Collingwood; Geelong won theirs on the road against Freo and backed it up against Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL 2024 Preliminary Final - Cats v Lions Sat Sept 21st 5:15pm EST (MCG)

Back