Preview AFL 2024 Preliminary Final - Cats v Lions Sat Sept 21st 5:15pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 31 20.3%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 58 37.9%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 38 24.8%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wins away from home against Port, Brisbane, Hawthorn, Footscray, Fremantle and Collingwood got Geelong through to a home prelim.

Giants, Port and Footscray are the only teams from the top 10 that Brisbane have beaten away from home.

The Cats have proven their stripes more than the Lions this season.

Brisbane lost their "top 4 elimination finals" against GWS and Collingwood; Geelong won theirs on the road against Freo and backed it up against Port.

Agree, that’s why the lions are underdogs

Ashcroft dominated the Giants vaunted midfield, he must be salivating at the thought of going up against the Cats "midfield"
would be pretty embarrassing if he didn't dominate the Cats mids

A disinterested port?

Talk about arrogance. Is it quite possible that port were just beaten by a better team on the day? Or do you think port just dont feel like playing in a final for some reason?
As I said this time last year, I dont think staying home at AO helps us.
Last year we went away to Brisbane and lost, came home and lost, this year its the other way around, we lost at home, won at home and will now travel to a team weve had the wood on recently.
The reality is, weve already done better than our previous decade by winning a knockout final.

Its not about arrogance, its about trying different approaches to see if it makes a difference, doing the same and expecting a different result would be more akin to arrogance/stupidity.

We cant all finish top 2 and win 3 finals for a flag without leaving home, now thats arrogance.

WOW so much anger here! Don't really get it.

I think the GENERAL view seems to be:

Cats fans - seem quietly confident but much more wary compared to 2022. From memory they were all saying 2022 was a foregone conclusion. And they were right! Seems pretty clear-cut to me that most cats fans see this as a much more even contest, albeit i think most would think they are deserved favourites.

Lions fans - think we are a definite chance. Talking us up a bit. Maybe trying to convince ourselves?! I don't think many lions are truly confident. I thought if we beat the giants we would be a strong chance to beat the cats. BUT whilst it was an incredible win, we got a long way back with a lot of players down. If we put that out there again, the cats simply won't give up that lead.

Neutrals - this is what i have found interesting. Seem to be 90% on thinking the cats will win, and many that we will get thumped! Yes we only finished 5th... but only 2 points behind the cats! I don't subscribe to that being because they had a soft draw - the cats got north twice so maybe that could be argued as the difference, but the lions double ups turned out to be not too bad. The hawks was the other 'easy' double up when the draw was released so i am not counting that.

REST v MATCH-HARDENED - look who knows. I think the bye at least means the only time that will could tell is deep in the game in terms of the lions being tired. Yes the GWS clash was tough but we had an easy game at home the week before. I think the bigger issue is us being a bit banged up - Hipwood with a groin, Payne quite obviously with the knee, Neale with the ankle. While most team have niggles, the cats' will be minimised by one game in 29 days.

WHO STARTS BETTER? I think the Cats are leading experts at avoiding the post finals bye slump now. Gone to work on it post the Sydney loss. 16 days is a bigger break than normal. But i really can't see the Cats starting in a slump. BOTH sides have great first quarter records of late. The lions got smacked last week but it was the first quarter they didn't win since the bye. The cats have won their last 6. Starts don't decide it all obviously but you'd rather by up then down.

LIONS POST THE EMOTIONAL WIN I don't think we will see 2022 in which clearly we were somewhat happy to be there. But after such an emotional win i think the start is much more important than the lions. If we start poorly, given we did vs 2020 and 2022 vs the cats in the prelim, it won't do our confidence any good.

THE RECORD Impossible to avoid nobody in this lions team, at least as a lion, has beaten the cats oustide of the gabba. I think finals are a bit of a different ball game - look at the fact we managed to win v Melbourne in 2022 at the mcg, first win there in a decade or so. But again if we give up a lead will it creep in to our minds? I do think this team is a bit hardier, despite some lapses this year. Those lapses have been mainly goal-kicking. We have now won an away final in 2022 and 2024. And lost another one in the granny by 4 points.

THE COACHES Chris Scott i surely the best tactician in it. Chris Fagan would not be in the top 8 i don't think. He is a superb manage of people. And was able to say after beating GWS i stuck with the players and it worked. But surely you can stick by the players and say move Jack Payne??

JEREMY CAMERON nobody has a good match-up for him as he is such a unique player. Lester is about our best hope

DANGERFIELD - Surely he can't destroy us AGAIN? Looked supeb vs Port. And a week off for him is ideal. Dunkley is an okay match up for size not sure about pace though

STENGLE - also kills us every time! Noah Answerth, your time is now. The other half forwards are so dangerous. Wilmot to Close. Starce to Miers.

STEWART - really hope we actually give someone a role. Ah Chee often gets the negative roles and is deceptively good in the air. We got heaps out of ah chee in the semi though creatively.

Straw poll for oppn fans - who will you be supporting for this game?

So few finals in Melbourne this year - only 3 in total - i think there could be a big crowd with plenty of neutrals. MCC sold out in 26 minutes.

We need all the support we can get haha

Reckon if the Lions actually have a crack they can win this. Looks like a lot of tickets available to the general public for those interested in going.
Interesting re tickets

2022 i guess the cats were fans were looking to break their mini drought and hot faves so maybe a bit less demand?

2022 had more melbourne finals thought. 2 in week 1, 2 in week 2, 1 in week 3. This year 1 in week 1, 0 in week 1, 1 in week 3.

Geelong have Bruhn, Bowes, Atkins playing massive midfield time. These are VFL level players.

Bruhn is only 65 games into his career. He's class and you will see firsthand on the weekend.
Bowes and Atkins I do agree. But they play the role needed to compliment the team so while they are no stars, I'm confident they will match up pretty well against Brisbane's midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When are they gonna tap Tomma on the shoulder.

No way can you play him ahead of Shannon Neale.

Needs to put his hand up and step aside.
Hawkins repeatedly said he was happy to finish in the VFL this year and unless a tall forward is injured, that's exactly what will have happened.

Neale stays and Hawkins is no chance, which you'd know unless you've been sucked in by the reaching media.

And what do Brisbane have? Neale on one leg and a VFL defence apart from Andrews who refused to play Hogan.

How Fagan refused to switch Payne and Andrews fills me with full confidence Fagan is even more hopeless than I thought.
Essendon supporter dishing out all this finals wisdom, best listen him guys he knows all about sides winning finals.

You need a tissue now or after the cats destroy you?
I live in Essendon and all tissues have been out of stock in the supermarket for some time now. Don’t need a tissue either way. The Lions have achieved more this year than I had expected back in round 12… Free hit at the stumps on Saturday.

And I’ve got some recent finals winning memories to hang my hat on.😉

Your first paragraph was apt before and it is exactly the same now.

Why is this time different?
Yeah fair point maybe I didn't wirs it as best as I could. 2022 you guys were on fire and even if we were at our best you guys would have had to be a little off for us to be a chance.

This time our best footy beats anyone. The question mark is whether we play our best.

When are they gonna tap Tomma on the shoulder.

No way can you play him ahead of Shannon Neale.

Needs to put his hand up and step aside.

Yeah what he should do, is stop training right now, so that if our current strategy of playing two tall forwards with Shannon Neale as the second of them, is impacted by Neale getting injured - just to make sure that he’s not ready to go if he gets the call up.

What we need is advice from a Blues fan about this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL 2024 Preliminary Final - Cats v Lions Sat Sept 21st 5:15pm EST (MCG)

Back