Preview AFL 2024 Round 17 - Cats v Hawks Sat July 6th 4:35pm AEST (GMHBA)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong-vs-Hawthorn.png

5th v 13th

AFL 2024 PREMIERSHIP SEASON ROUND 17
GEELONG V HAWTHORN
SATURDAY JULY 6TH 4:35PM AEST (GMHBA)

Live scores on BigFooty during the match.

TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY

CLICK HERE :arrowright: TIP IN BIGFOOTY TIPPING
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place

Weekly Prize:
:arrowright: Best score each round wins a year's Premium Platinum membership!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket

Medallion Club tickets at the MCG and Marvel
Corporate Box tickets at the MCG and Marvel
AFL Finals Tickets

Optus Stadium open air box tickets

Adelaide Oval Stadium Club tickets

Heritage Bank Stadium Lounge tickets

GABBA Open Air Corporate Boxes

Teams:

To be announced.

Watch
this thread to be alerted when teams drop.

Final Teams released (Melb Time):
Thursday Match - Wednesday 6:20pm
Friday Match - Thursday 6:20pm
Saturday Match - Thursday 6:20pm
Sunday Match - Friday 5:00pm
Monday Match - Saturday 5:00pm
(NB: Sunday and Monday match Extended Squads are released Thursday 6:20)

:arrowdown: Links to the Club Board tipping comps :arrowdown:

I tip Geelong with no real confidence, the game is at their new bogey ground and as much i hate to say it, i give the Hawks a good chance, but i can never pick Hawthorn to win. Cats by 15 points

Last edited:

Short break. No Sicily. Geelong in hot form after dismantling top 3 opposition. Hawks haven't won at GMHBA for 18 years

Massive upset if the Hawks can get up
I think Essendon made us look a lot better then what we are with them giving up after some ump decisions. 50/50 game imo. Go Cats!

Short break. No Sicily. Geelong in hot form after dismantling top 3 opposition. Hawks haven't won at GMHBA for 18 years

GWS and Port were in MUCH worse form when they rolled us down in Geelong recently.

Hawthorn are one of the couple of form teams in the comp.

The odds are always more favourable for Geelong games (home or away) in our favour than they should be.

Geelong 55/Hawthorn 45% type game IMO.

I'd personally rate this as our best opponent we've faced at home all year, given how erratic Port and GWS were in the block of games before/after they played us.

Such a different outlook to our meeting earlier in the year. The Hawks looked a mess back then while Geelong were humming. Now almost every Hawk player is in career best form or pushing it and Geelong have looked all set sea for a couple of months until the second half on the weekend.

Absolutely no idea how this will go. A 7+ goal margin either way wouldn't be a shock.

I don't think the dimensions of Kardinia Park suit Geelong any more either so I'm not sure the home ground impacts much. GWS, Port, Richmond and Stkilda have caused us issues down there this year so I'd expect an in form Hawthorn to handle that fine.

Red Hot forms a bit of a stretch, they 2-6 over their last 8 games.

The red hot form would have to be Hawthorn. It’s 60-40 Geelong just because it’s at Kardina, if it was at the G, it’s 50/50

Pretty sure we won the last time we played there (2007 I think).

Cats at home Pretty sure the 50/50 decisions will go their way.

Cats to win 32 frees to 18.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Frees For/Against % for 2024 - Geelong at Home 86.89%, Hawks Away 102.7. Stats don’t really back that up. Gap broader if you take both Home and Away 2024; Geelong have only Richmond below them on free kick tally

Last played their in 2020. Lost. The game was meant to be a Cats home game at the MCG but they lobbied the AFL to move it to KP given there was no crowds allowed during COVID.

The time before that was in 2006 - A Hawthorn win

Last played their in 2020. Lost. The game was meant to be a Cats home game at the MCG but they lobbied the AFL to move it to KP given there was no crowds allowed during COVID.

The time before that was in 2006 - A Hawthorn win
So Hawthorn carry in a reasonable Kardinia Park form line. One win from the last two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whether we are a shot or not may depend on whether Sicily can get up.
Lewis could be back after a couple in the VFL with either Dear or Gunston to make way.

At the MCG it would almost be even odds but in Geelong id probably say 65-35 to Geelong

Can't remember the last time I was this excited by a game. Win and we are a genuine chance at finals

Ive been there twice. We won each time by 2 points. That will be fine by me.

Win this and we are a very good chance of playing finals. Lose and we probably just miss out.

6 day break makes it hard for Sicily and Dear to recover. Breust will have had 3 weeks to rest his groin.

This should suit Hawthorn to a tee, midfield should get on top, Meek will take SDK to the cleaners, and the skinny ground will benefit Hawthorns contest work, hands and defensive structure.

Geelong have a really strong bunch of small forwards and are good at home with good defensive structure, will even the game up with it also being the obvious rivalry.

Considering only one club has less frees than Geelong in season 2024 (Richmond) hard to see this happening, especially noting Hawks have been awarded 282 frees thus far to Cats 228

I've got an event on that I have to leave for half way through the third quarter.
That will either be a blessing in disguise, or heartbreak at missing a win over the old rivals in arguably our most important game against them since 2018.

Hawks by two kicks

Wizard to think he's playing at a VFL venue and kick a bag

Nash to assert dominance as the most handsome Irish player in the AFL

Weddle to keep Cameron out of it

Miers to be ignored by our defence again and to kick 3.

I've got an event on that I have to leave for half way through the third quarter.
That will either be a blessing in disguise, or heartbreak at missing a win over the old rivals in arguably our most important game against them since 2018.

Hawks by two kicks

Wizard to think he's playing at a VFL venue and kick a bag

Nash to assert dominance as the most handsome Irish player in the AFL

Weddle to keep Cameron out of it

Miers to be ignored by our defence again and to kick 3.
Oisin Mullin has him covered there. We don't care about his football ability, it's a membership ploy.

Everything else is reasonable.

Back