Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Semi Final - Port v Hawks Fri Sept 13th 7:40pm EST/7:10pm CST (AO) Teams in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 39 16.7%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 71 30.3%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 89 38.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to read into Port, they're good during the H&A season and go to water during the finals. Assuming Hawks come out with a similar gameplan from last week what will Hinkley do with his team to break that structure?

Ken saying see you next week to the journos is a bit disrepectul to Hawks. Could be the added motivation they need to pull this one off
Come on ... you're a Hawthorn supporter. You know it doesn't work that way.

In finals, you win either because you were better or got lucky, not because the other coach said something.

1726199984093.png

In finals, you win either because you were better or got lucky, not because the other coach said something.

View attachment 2109282
You lose. Because our coach said….

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

View attachment 2109282
Hawthorn only wins because the other team was off, injured, didn’t turn up apparently.

But yes, I agree with you, no team I. The finals needs extra ‘motivation’. If the chance to win the flag isn’t your only motivation, you’ve already lost.

Excellent post. 👌
I expect Port to respond as semi-final losers often do. They’re form otherwise has been very strong and the win over Freo the week before was very impressive and gritty, they answered a lot of challenges.

The problem for Port is there are a lot of questions marks now over their selection, with Butters lingering injury far from reassuring, as well as the impact the absence of Houston, Farrell and now Burton will have on their ability to rebound effectively, which does not bode well with the Hawks mosquito fleet nipping around.

Both Dixon and Rategolea were completely ineffectual last week, admittedly with Port’s poor entries they weren’t given much of a chance. I’d be surprised if Port don’t make a late change and take Dixon or one of them out, otherwise they may be looking to play Ratagolea down back.

With the proficiency of Hawthorn’s intercepting rebounding backs (Sicily, Weddell, Impey, Scrimshaw) having three or even four big guys who don’t offer a lot of defensive pressure, was shown up against the Dogs last week. Rioli is Port’s biggest threat up forward but he’ll likely have Hardwick for attention who has hardly put a foot wrong on the league’s best small forwards in the past 10-12 weeks. Serong’s inexperience is a factor but the Hawks are letting in on average 20 fewer entries and sweeping the ball out at speed, so if you can’t get it in or can’t get good entries those threats are somewhat nullified.

The Hawks are just so high on confidence right now and don’t really have major weaknesses across the board. Serong, and Chol, who had a stinker last week, are worries and realistically the Power will have to get a real stranglehold on the game in the middle with Butters, Rozee, Horne Francis and Wines having big games. Clearance and centre clearance is where they set up their game up from and excel. With their classiest player Day out, the Hawks have solid contributors in Maginness, Nash, Morrison and Ward but they’re either young or not in the same class, which is where Port will have to capitalise.

Port were very shaky last week in possession, while the Hawks confidently sliced the Dogs to ribbons. Hawthorn are the best around the boundary and ground ball from clearance team in the league, Port is 18th. Unless Port can crank up their pressure rating significantly and clearly outpoint the Hawks from the source and get first hands on the footy, all other indicators point to a Hawks win. If they can silence the crowd early and it becomes an uncontested marking game, the Hawks ground ball superiority, endurance and non-stop attack will be very difficult to rein in in the second half.

Last edited:
I expect Port to respond as semi-final losers often do. They’re form otherwise has been very strong and the win over Freo the week before was very impressive and gritty, they answered a lot of challenges.

The problem for Port is there are a lot of questions marks now over their selection, with Butters lingering injury far from reassuring, as well as the impact the absence of Houston, Farrell and now Burton will have on their ability to rebound effectively, which does not bode well with the Hawks mosquito fleet nipping around.

Both Dixon and Rategolea were completely ineffectual last week, admittedly with Port’s poor entries they weren’t given much of a chance. I’d be surprised if Port don’t make a late change and take Dixon or one of them out, otherwise they may be looking to play Ratagolea down back.

With the proficiency of Hawthorn’s intercepting rebounding backs (Sicily, Weddell, Impey, Scrimshaw) having three or even four big guys who don’t offer a lot of defensive pressure, was shown up against the Dogs last week. Rioli is Port’s biggest threat up forward but he’ll likely have Hardwick for attention who has hardly put a foot wrong on the league’s best small forwards in the past 10-12 weeks. Serong’s inexperience is a factor but the Hawks are letting in on average 20 fewer entries and sweeping the ball out at speed, so if you can’t get it in or can’t get good entries those threats are somewhat nullified.

The Hawks are just so high on confidence right now and don’t really have major weaknesses across the board. Serong, and Chol, who had a stinker last week, are worries and realistically the Power will have to get a real stranglehold on the game in the middle with Butters, Rozee, Horne Francis and Wines having big games. Clearance and centre clearance is where they set up their game up from and excel. With their classiest player Day out, the Hawks have solid contributors in Maginness, Nash, Morrison and Ward but they’re either young or not in the same class, which is where Port will have to capitalise.

Port were very shaky last week in possession, while the Hawks confidently sliced the Dogs to ribbons. Hawthorn are the best around the boundary and ground ball from clearance team in the league, Port is 18th. Unless Port can crank up their pressure rating significantly and clearly outpoint the Hawks from the source and get first hands on the footy, all other indicators point to a Hawks win. If they can silence the crowd early and it becomes an uncontested marking game, the Hawks ground ball superiority, endurance and non-stop attack will be very difficult to rein in in the second half.
Excellent summary of what the reality is. I expect Port to play at their best so if both teams turn up it will be a great contest. Too many to write off Port already but didn't finish second for nothing. They had just as good a seacond half of the season as Hawks and Dogs. Here's to hoping. :praying:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought I saw Charlie Dixon in my street - orange, cone shaped, hasn’t moved for three hours..

Port surely can't be as junk as last week. Hawks should win comfortably with their current form.

But if Port wake up think they will be better than most seem to have decided .

Got a feeling Port win it, but head says Hawks by 20-40

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Semi Final - Port v Hawks Fri Sept 13th 7:40pm EST/7:10pm CST (AO) Teams in OP

Back