Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is everyone going with scoring + opposition scoring since the latest PS5 patch (last Tuesday I think it was?).

I'm finding a lot of games now it's scrappy and low scoring until the last quarter where the floodgates open for me. Since the patch, (playing on medium, 5 min quarters), I am keeping every team to about 1-2 goals a match and I'm smacking in 6-7 in the last quarter to buffer up my score. All the teams I've played in the last 8 matches have been in the bottom 8 when I've played them so not a "they're just crap teams" situation. This happening with you guys too? I do notice that the AI are chipping around and wasting a bit of time but nothing that obvious

1687305627878.png

1687305834017.png

How is everyone going with scoring + opposition scoring since the latest PS5 patch (last Tuesday I think it was?).

I'm finding a lot of games now it's scrappy and low scoring until the last quarter where the floodgates open for me. Since the patch, (playing on medium, 5 min quarters), I am keeping every team to about 1-2 goals a match and I'm smacking in 6-7 in the last quarter to buffer up my score. All the teams I've played in the last 8 matches have been in the bottom 8 when I've played them so not a "they're just crap teams" situation. This happening with you guys too? I do notice that the AI are chipping around and wasting a bit of time but nothing that obvious

View attachment 1718020

View attachment 1718021
Iā€™ve found that too! The last quarter it opens up!

You'll notice a lot of players move at snails pace in the second half (well I've found it that way) like slowish motion. I gather it's from low/no stamina... but that makes things interesting when the AI can still do their super speed routine and out run you even more.

AI set shots need a bit more tweaking. For me it feels like they miss most of the set shots (especially DEAD in front just a little bit away from the goal square), in a lot of cases they boot it out on the full.

I'm controlling the game play for the most part, I setup a 20 minute quarter match last night (Hawks v Cats), I had a 60 point lead in a short period of time. First minute I was able to score 3 goals within 45 seconds................... then a drought happened (which was basically aerial ping pong between my forward 50 and my defensive 50). I was able to defend and keep them scoreless while I piled on the goals. Then in the remaining time, I just let the AI duke it out against itself keeping it on as background noise. The Geelong AI fought back several times and managed to get within 3 goals, but Hawthorn would go on multiple runs and keep the margin at 50-60 points regularly.

View attachment 1718020

View attachment 1718021

I've had a couple of games like this, think I beat Collingwood 78-7 or something in my first post-new-patch game (5 min qtr on hard).

My latest games are a bit more even, had a goal-fest against Sydney. Something like 10 goals to 9 goals in the first half. Then I kicked another 10 goals to 1 or 2 and smashed them.

Had my first goalless quarter last night, but then went on to play and win a fairly competitive game with a normal scoreline.

Is there a scenario mode capability in this game?

Evo 2 lets me select a scoreline and time of game (10 mins left into the third quarter for example) to start a game from. Does this option exist in AFL 23?

Evo 2 lets me select a scoreline and time of game (10 mins left into the third quarter for example) to start a game from. Does this option exist in AFL 23?
Iā€™ve seen in cricket games where they have classic series and games can re play.
For example the body line series.

Something similar to what you said mixed with this would be cool.
Jump in to the 89 grand final at half time or when Essendon had the record comeback against North and you have to hold the lead against a superhuman Essendon. Would be great!

Iā€™ve seen in cricket games where they have classic series and games can re play.
For example the body line series.

Something similar to what you said mixed with this would be cool.
Jump in to the 89 grand final at half time or when Essendon had the record comeback against North and you have to hold the lead against a superhuman Essendon. Would be great!

Match Day mode in Evo 2 was great. Wasn't perfect cos say you jump in at half time it'll have the correct score but everyone's stats would be 0 (even goals, so who knows who kicked them all until you took over?), but it was a fun way to try and change history.

This does not currently exist in the deepest AFL game of all time

Played a normal season game rather than management game last night to see if I could spot any differences. While it did in parts seem to open up a bit, as in, not a tackle fest it still has the same problems of player stuck in animation when trying to change to them and AI teleporting tackles.

Also can someone better skilled than me let me know if there is a quick kick option, or do I have to hold down the kick or shot on goal on the run button for 3-5 seconds to get a kick off before being tackled?

I cannot emphasise enough how done we are with people commenting on the way people (1) post; or (2) god forbid, react to a post.

This is ridiculous. There have been plenty of warnings, with far more leniency given here than any other board on BigFooty.

No more warnings. We're just going to permanently thread ban from now on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cannot emphasise enough how done we are with people commenting on the way people (1) post; or (2) god forbid, react to a post.

This is ridiculous. There have been plenty of warnings, with far more leniency given here than any other board on BigFooty.

No more warnings. We're just going to permanently thread ban from now on.
Can we clean up some of the ridiculous hateful posts towards Ross?
Weā€™re all here and most of us are frustrated but some of the stuff being said is uncalled for.
We should be grateful heā€™s putting his time to coming in here.

Can we clean up some of the ridiculous hateful posts towards Ross?
Weā€™re all here and most of us are frustrated but some of the stuff being said is uncalled for.
We should be grateful heā€™s putting his time to coming in here.
Any personal attack on any poster will be dealt with accordingly.

Criticism of the game, its development process, its marketing, its pricing, or even the people involved in it is not inherently 'hateful' and will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. This does not change whether or not the developer is present in the thread.

If you feel it is overly hateful, report it.

R.d5685bdca8d64584622e6263948e6e43

Okay so I played a game of AFL Evo 2 for comparison and Iā€™m going to base this post on gameplay alone as I think itā€™s pretty obvious Evo 2 has more depth in its game modes anyways

Things that Evo 2 do better:

Tackling - the animations are pretty much all the same but that doesnā€™t really bother me if itā€™s a working mechanic. Responsive enough and itā€™s not a complete tackle fest if you chain together some handballs which brings up my second point

Handballing - Evo 2 probably has the best handballing weā€™ve ever had in an AFL game. Such a simple mechanic and I canā€™t understand how BigAnt have gotten it so wrong. I like the fact that in AFL 23 you can power up your handball to make it go even further but even that doesnā€™t seem to work at the best of times
Evo 2 is pretty straight forward and you can get out of congestion quite easily if you know how

Responsiveness - Well, this is pretty simple and self explanatory. Aside from Evo 2ā€™s shitty AI running away from the ball, you can at least select who you want quite easily and the turning circles are not that of a bus.

Congestion/contests - Seems to be a lot more genuine contests which brings the ball to ground more often than not. Creating more congestion and realism. AFL 23 doesnā€™t often have anymore than 3 players at a time going for a mark by which time the AI have already started spreading from the contest

Stuck in the mud - Simply doesnā€™t happen in Evo 2. In fact the movement is actually damn smooth for what it is

I will say this though. AFL 23 has nailed kicking and their goal kicking is also much better. Along with the AI running patterns, the animations and the graphics
However these are some key areas in which Evo 2 (with a 5x less budget, mind you) are so much better at.
Get these right, and Iā€™ll be happy enough with the gameplay

Okay so I played a game of AFL Evo 2 for comparison and Iā€™m going to base this post on gameplay alone as I think itā€™s pretty obvious Evo 2 has more depth in its game modes anyways

Things that Evo 2 do better:

Tackling - the animations are pretty much all the same but that doesnā€™t really bother me if itā€™s a working mechanic. Responsive enough and itā€™s not a complete tackle fest if you chain together some handballs which brings up my second point

Handballing - Evo 2 probably has the best handballing weā€™ve ever had in an AFL game. Such a simple mechanic and I canā€™t understand how BigAnt have gotten it so wrong. I like the fact that in AFL 23 you can power up your handball to make it go even further but even that doesnā€™t seem to work at the best of times
Evo 2 is pretty straight forward and you can get out of congestion quite easily if you know how

Responsiveness - Well, this is pretty simple and self explanatory. Aside from Evo 2ā€™s shitty AI running away from the ball, you can at least select who you want quite easily and the turning circles are not that of a bus.

Congestion/contests - Seems to be a lot more genuine contests which brings the ball to ground more often than not. Creating more congestion and realism. AFL 23 doesnā€™t often have anymore than 3 players at a time going for a mark by which time the AI have already started spreading from the contest

Stuck in the mud - Simply doesnā€™t happen in Evo 2. In fact the movement is actually damn smooth for what it is

I will say this though. AFL 23 has nailed kicking and their goal kicking is also much better. Along with the AI running patterns, the animations and the graphics
However these are some key areas in which Evo 2 (with a 5x less budget, mind you) are so much better at.
Get these right, and Iā€™ll be happy enough with the gameplay

Nothing new there - same things we have all been talking about from day one, hence the frustration of most of us here. You should cut and paste that post and put it in to the Big Ant Support page...its a ripper! :) If you dont want to / can't then let me know and I will!

Nothing new there - same things we have all been talking about from day one, hence the frustration of most of us here. You should cut and paste that post and put it in to the Big Ant Support page...its a ripper! :) If you dont want to / can't then let me know and I will!
Cheers mate !
Yeah Iā€™ve submitted all of this previously except for the congestion/contests

Essentially that theyā€™ll look into it. Relatively generic response as Iā€™m assuming most people have mentioned these things to them before

Will submit the Congestion/contests later today though

100 times in fact. I don't think they'd appreciate daily videos of teleport tackles or stuck in mud instances :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back