Preview AFL 2nd Semi Final - Geelong v Fremantle, MCG, Friday 10 September 7:45PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Re: AFL 2nd Semi Final - Geelong v Fremantle/Hawthorn, TBA

I hope we play Freo, mainly so we can pack the Dome out with 40 000 Cats, drown them out and support the boys.

But it will be a tough match no matter who we play:

Changes:
In: Pods
Out: Blake/Hawkins

Pods must come back...our forward line did ok, but we need his marking power, and also accurate kicking for goal.

I thought both Blake and Hawkins tried hard but neither of them had any real influence on the game (unlike Mooney who did, until his negative influence at the end..grr still hate that decision) so I would be happy for either to be dropped. Think it is more likely to be Blake, simply because it seems from a few weeks ago that that's how they want to go.

Byrnes v Lonergan is a tough one. Harry really struggled tonight so he may benefit from a chop out (particularly if our opponents turn out to be Hawthorn) but I thought Byrnes was ok. I'd probably retain him but we'll see which way they go.

if we play hawks we get a 'home' final at their home ground. Go figure..?

Hopefully we play Hawthorn..They will be easy beats..But I do feel Fremantle will beat them at home though so my wish might not come true..
Bizarre statement. Hawks play out of their skins against us. What were people's thoughts on Smithy's game tonight? Stream here was in and out.

Bizarre statement. Hawks play out of their skins against us. What were people's thoughts on Smithy's game tonight? Stream here was in and out.

Smithy didn't do a lot in the middle (i.e. around the clearances) but was given the job to curb Milne in the second half after he was beating Joshy Hunt, and Smithy did it well. Probably lacking some pace, but still contributes well and can definitely play a role for us.

bring on Hawthorn. none of this "Go Freo" shit, like scared little girls. the team we have now is the team that should end (and is good enough to end) the Hawthorn finals hoodoo.
if we can't beat a team that finished seventh and who is coming back from Perth on a six day break then we don't deserve to be premiers.

bring on Hawthorn. none of this "Go Freo" shit, like scared little girls. the team we have now is the team that should end (and is good enough to end) the Hawthorn finals hoodoo.
if we can't beat a team that finished seventh and who is coming back from Perth on a six day break then we don't deserve to be premiers.

Bloody oath.

I am just worried that Hawthorn will pull one of their arse like they do every time they play us in an important game. But, really, we should beat them.

I hope we play Freo, mainly so we can pack the Dome out with 40 000 Cats, drown them out and support the boys.

But it will be a tough match no matter who we play:

Changes:
In: Pods
Out: Blake/Hawkins

Pods must come back...our forward line did ok, but we need his marking power, and also accurate kicking for goal.

I thought both Blake and Hawkins tried hard but neither of them had any real influence on the game (unlike Mooney who did, until his negative influence at the end..grr still hate that decision) so I would be happy for either to be dropped. Think it is more likely to be Blake, simply because it seems from a few weeks ago that that's how they want to go.

Byrnes v Lonergan is a tough one. Harry really struggled tonight so he may benefit from a chop out (particularly if our opponents turn out to be Hawthorn) but I thought Byrnes was ok. I'd probably retain him but we'll see which way they go.

If playing Freo would logic says they will stick with Blake as pointless having a short ruck in hawkins against Sandilands.. however against Hawks, prob Hawkins bcoz their rucks are average and not that tall and he is better than Blake as far as gathering possessions and having an impact

IN: LOnergan, Pods
OUT: DONT KNOW

These two will come in, showed how much we missed Lonners, and some of u should stop bagging him out and realise he has had a good year and claimed some pretty big scalps. Lonners would of took The big Kosi and Riewoldt at stages and would have been honest on both. He is no champion but he is a honest reliable defender and i think it showed early that we missed him.

INSERT NEGATIVE RESPONSES HERE:-

Out:Byrnes, Blake
In: Pods, Hunt

Byrnes? What game did you watch? Most influential player on the ground in second half. Was fantastic. I am a Hawkins man from way back, but I'd drop him for Pods, purely for balance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well thank god Pods didn't play last night.

The way that was played I think he would have been ineffectual and would have copped the label of 'can't play at the MCG' and he would have been dropped.

Plenty of players had patches where they went missing vs the saints.

But for mine I thought both our rucks were pretty useless. Yes Ottens was as bad as Blake.

Hawkins was very ordinary too. So I guess the logical step is to move him into the ruck again and drop Blake for Pods.

Well thank god Pods didn't play last night.

The way that was played I think he would have been ineffectual and would have copped the label of 'can't play at the MCG' and he would have been dropped.

Plenty of players had patches where they went missing vs the saints.

But for mine I thought both our rucks were pretty useless. Yes Ottens was as bad as Blake.

Hawkins was very ordinary too. So I guess the logical step is to move him into the ruck again and drop Blake for Pods.

I agree Blake was woeful might has well not have been out there but Ottens wasn't much better. A couple of times we kicked in long to Otto down the line and he didn't even provide a contest and got out marked, really not a good sign for us. Blake has to be dropped but if we do end up playing Freo I can see them dropping Hawkins because of the Sandilands factor but lets be honest either of one them will get smashed by him anyway. Pods has to come in because both Hawthorn and Freo's backlines are very shaky at the minute and i'll back him in to have a good game.

Can't see us losing next week either way though, there is absolutely no way that Selwood will be held to 4 possessions in a half or Steve Johnson to 10 touches for the game again. We need to lift and will.

Re: Changes for next game (Hawthorn?)

We got the dose of 'Hardn the **** up' that we needed....

Things we have learnt.

1. Tom Lonergan is very much necessary to our best 22. I said it constantly in the pre-game talk to the QF, but was cut down. We need him as a third tall as our biggest competitors (Hawthorn, Saints, Collingwood) all have capable tall timber that can get on top of Scarlo and Harry sometimes. Lonergan simply provides a respite and allows us to rotate good players off the dangerous forwards thus keeping them under more intense pressure.

2. Tom Hawkins must ruck. He and Ottens need to be our combination. It allows Hawk to be influential around the ground and Blake is just not providing enough grit when needed.

3. Ling is better in a defensive forward role at the moment. Smashed Goddard when he went there....needs to play the max rooke role.

4. James Podsiadly is very important. Him and Mooney are an excellent combination, and we need the JPod back.

5. Stokes is better than Byrnes. Unfortunately that means Byrnes + Blake out, Pods + Lonergan in.

6. We look piss poor when indecisive in the back half....we need a get out of jail kick; Hawkins on the wing is a good target or Otto'. At least this congests play in an area we can work with....we gave up too many opportunities needlessly through poor decision making in the back half.

7. Don't write us off....we won that game last night and it was taken away from us....we will only be hungrier now. Expect a big first quarter next week against whoever!

If we play Hawthorn:

Ins: Pods, Lonergan
Outs: Blake, Byrnes

St Kilda's two tall forwards cut us up in the first half, and without Lonergan, there was no third option. Buddy + Roughead = need Lonergan

Hawthorn has a weak ruck division, so Hawkins can play 2nd Ruck to allow Pods back into the side. Blake just doesn't do enough around the ground and has no versatility.

If we play Fremantle:

Ins: Pods
Outs: Hawkins

Playing against Sandilands you need two big bodied ruckmen. I don't know if I'm convinced that carrying two ruckmen + three tall forwards is a good idea.

The fact is we are now in the same position that we were this time yesterday.
i.e we need to win 2 to make the GF.

I'm worried about how sore the boys may be though.

The good thing is that I get to see the cats play again next week, and if it's vs the Hawks it will be a great game to look forward to.

Gee I love watching the cats.

Im far from praying Freo will win, as I believe you need to beat the best to win the GF, but I do hope they win just because it will hopefully mean an easier game (if we win) as everytime we play the hawks, the games are so hard and intense, we may lack energy for the prelim if we got past them in the semi.

Lonergan is a must against Hawthorn and agree his defensive work this year has been fantastic, but hes a liability with the footy under pressure. Still think he has to play against Hawthorn.
He wont play against Fremantle IMO.

Against Hawks
In- Pods, Lonergan
Out- Blake, ????

I actually didnt think Hawk was too bad tonite. Far from out worst but also far from our best. He takes some good contested marks and if he nailed those two set shots which he just missed, people would probably view his game differently, maybe not great but wouldnt want him dropped IMO. But yes I get that he missed them so doesnt matter.
Blake should still be left out and Ottens needs to lift and play pretty much the whole time Sandilands is on the ground. Hawk can take the backup ruckman for the 15% of game he does, and when Hawk does play on Sandilands, just tell him to gut run for that 5 mins and he'll get a rest. Hawk should only play 60% of time so when hes in the ruck he can work and work Sandilands over and hopefully tire him out a bit.

Fremantle
In- Pods
Out- Blake

What day is this expected to be played? for some reason I thought Geelong would play the winner of swans v blues??
Anyway hoping it will be a saturday/night as I would like to fly over and watch.

Friday night match .. cats are going to be hungry they dont lose 2 on the trot very often

The game is definently going to be Friday - venue will depend on today's game:

If Freo win @ Etihad Stadium
If Hawthorn win @ MCG

The reality is, rightly or wrongly (I think wrongly) Bomber won't drop Hawkins, we know that, he's a Hawkins lover and supporter from way back, and he won't drop him now. He'll drop Blake, or he'll leave Pods out, there's no other options.

FWIW his comment on Pods was
''We've just got to pick the right mix, pick the right side that's going to beat the opposition we're going to play. ''He (Podsiadly) would be a very good chance to play, not an automatic selection.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back