Preview AFL 2nd Semi Final - Geelong v Fremantle, MCG, Friday 10 September 7:45PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AFL 2nd Semi Final - Geelong v Fremantle/Hawthorn, TBA

Well thank god Pods didn't play last night.

The way that was played I think he would have been ineffectual and would have copped the label of 'can't play at the MCG' and he would have been dropped.

Plenty of players had patches where they went missing vs the saints.

But for mine I thought both our rucks were pretty useless. Yes Ottens was as bad as Blake.

Hawkins was very ordinary too. So I guess the logical step is to move him into the ruck again and drop Blake for Pods.

Stupid rubbish it would have been too. He would have competed on a night not for tall forwards, and yet still been bagged. Oh and in general, I did a statisical analysis during the week on our games at the G this year and they prove that bar Stokes, all our forwards have been borderline useless in averages terms (in our 7 games at the G), and yet everyone singles out the big fella. Grr. How about we actually dominate a game at the G heh? Shows how ridiculous some people's expectations (not bagging you, more a general point), the bloke's kicked more than Mooney or Hawk this year and we still pretty much practically expect him to part the red sea and walk on water...crazy expectations. He should come in though, has earnt his spot, and will make a big difference because he's a big body and doesn't get outmarked, and has earnt his spot. I just hope we don't expect because our best contested mark is back in that it's going to come easy, we need 22 bloody hungry contributors.

I agree on Hawkins and Blake, personally I'd sit Hawk out for a week but Bomber won't...sorry Blake.

Stupid rubbish it would have been too. He would have competed on a night not for tall forwards, and yet still been bagged. Oh and in general, I did a statisical analysis during the week on our games at the G this year and they prove that bar Stokes, all our forwards have been borderline useless in averages terms (in our 7 games at the G), and yet everyone singles out the big fella. Grr. How about we actually dominate a game at the G heh? Shows how ridiculous some people's expectations (not bagging you, more a general point), the bloke's kicked more than Mooney or Hawk this year and we still pretty much practically expect him to part the red sea and walk on water...crazy expectations. He should come in though, has earnt his spot, and will make a big difference because he's a big body and doesn't get outmarked, and has earnt his spot. I just hope we don't expect because our best contested mark is back in that it's going to come easy, we need 22 bloody hungry contributors.

I agree on Hawkins and Blake, personally I'd sit Hawk out for a week but Bomber won't...sorry Blake.

I'm not a knocker of Pods.
Love him.
And you know I said last week that IF Hawkins and Blake works well then Pods is NOT an automatic inclusion.

And he still may not be. It comes down to how bad the coaches think those 2 were last night.

For mine they were 2 ineffectual players. Best we reduce that number to one.

It's amazing that the cats no longer seem to enjoy playing the G.
It was a tag we loved using on Saints supporters 12 months ago :(

if we play freo though do you think Blake will stay in? up against Sandilands?

Hopefully we play Hawthorn..They will be easy beats..But I do feel Fremantle will beat them at home though so my wish might not come true..

Easy beats ?? we struggle against the Hawks, yes we have beaten them the last 4 times, but only just. However, the Dockers won't be pushovers if we do play them, thier pace worries me :(.

I'm not a knocker of Pods.
Love him.
And you know I said last week that IF Hawkins and Blake works well then Pods is NOT an automatic inclusion.

And he still may not be. It comes down to how bad the coaches think those 2 were last night.

For mine they were 2 ineffectual players. Best we reduce that number to one.

It's amazing that the cats no longer seem to enjoy playing the G.
It was a tag we loved using on Saints supporters 12 months ago :(

He bloody well should be. Honestly, the bloke's kicked 45 goals this year, leading the club for contested marks, we're about to play a knockout final and we're actually debating whether he plays or not. It'd be genuinely funny if it wasn't true. I could point out that his best could rip the game apart, or I could just point out the most relevant thing of all, which is if you pick the team on form, performance, or whatever other euphemism you want to name it by, such as merit, the #31 is in it. And I don't care if that means "the future" (specific comment about Hawkins) or someone else needs to get the hard tap on the shoulder, then Bomber needs to fecking have the balls to do that to put Pods in the side. All I care about is picking the side that gives us the best chance to win this game. Hopefully MC does too, if they do, it'll take all of about 5 minutes to select him. I understand what you're saying, but I certainly hope there isn't any doubt. As for who goes out, neither Hawkins nor Blake could feel aggrieved if they were omitted based on their performances last night....they had a lot of mates in the 'poor' category but team balance probably dictates it will be one of those 2 talls, rather than any of the other players who were poor last night, who make way for Pods.

As for the stats at the G, yes it is a worry. I haven't checked the general stats like contested possies etc but I am guessing they are as poor as our forward's stats at the G. Hence why I say if we end up playing Freo at Etihad it ain't the worst thing in the world.

Easy beats ?? we struggle against the Hawks, yes we have beaten them the last 4 times, but only just. However, the Dockers won't be pushovers if we do play them, thier pace worries me :(.
they look very fast today

Now I want to play Dorkthawn.

This is soft.

Embarrassing to be a hawks supporter.

Can we stop hill?

Any way you look at it Freo in Melbourne is much better than facing the Hawks in a knockout final

they look very fast today

That's mainly Hill, who is a jet. Their young players as a whole, while good, are not super super quick. I just hope we're not silly enough to play Linga on Hill...need a different matchup.

That's mainly Hill, who is a jet. Their young players as a whole, while good, are not super super quick. I just hope we're not silly enough to play Linga on Hill...need a different matchup.
taylor hunt maybe :confused:

Damn it spent the morning hoping for a freo upset and they look to good now, still better then hawks I guess.

We need a comfortable win either semi or pre lim to be in any comparable shape for saints in the grand final, freo is our best chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We seriously need some speed

Corey has to go. 1 tackle and 1 clearance. Just not enough from a slow midfielder

Stokes has to go. 0 tackles and 0 score assists. There's a lot more to playing small forward than kicking a goal or 2. He's not a marking option either. I'm not saying he's a bad player but we need someone who can provide more to the team. It's currently all to easy to bring it out of the Geelong forward line

The brink of elimination is no time for sentimentality and harsh calls have to be made.
In: THunt, JPod
Out: Corey, Stokes

Hawkins will have to be on notice too. He's just not effective enough

I'd like them to consider Menzel as we can see he is clean by foot and can take a good mark, and provides some speed and chasing. There are too many players not prepared to chase and tackle and quite simply a couple of them have to go or we won't be winning the flag this year

Drop Corey? Absurd suggestion. One change, Hawkins for Pods. Maybe if they concede the ruck and rove to Sandilands, Blake for Pods. I'd like Taylor Hunt in but I can't find a spot for him.

We play Fremantle at Etihad, the scene of many a crushing for Geelong. We might just coast through to a prelim against the Dogs, fingers crossed.

Drop Corey? Absurd suggestion. One change, Hawkins for Pods. Maybe if they concede the ruck and rove to Sandilands, Blake for Pods. I'd like Taylor Hunt in but I can't find a spot for him.

Someone has to go and we need some speed. And Corey's not doing his job. It's a hard call but we can't drop someone like Mackie because of defensive structure, and if we drop someone like Byrnes for THunt we aren't gaining any speed overall

So we need to drop a slow player from the midfield for a quicker player who can chase and tackle.... And Lingy saved his bacon last night with a great game.

Mundy has been seriously competitive for Freo today. Alot of their drive has come through him l reckon. If Freo win we really need to lock down on him. With Max out do we look to Ling to play the defensive forward role?

And yes we will need to inject pace AND Pods. Pods should be a certainty for mine.

Corey will play on one of those young flankers and give them a lesson on finals football, the man is a warrior and is everything I love about this team, dropping him is against our DNA. Won't happen.

Like Pure Ownage my concern is Bomber will overlook pods.

Bloody hope not, now we'll most likely be at Etihad (pending freo win), perfect conditions for a tall marking forward

Pods for Blake will be the only change.
Corey is a proven player and will lift.

Kelly, Ling, Selwood, Chapman, Bartel, Corey.

We have a lot of those slower type inside players and it's worked in the past but not this year with the zones the Pies and Saints have thrown against us

Also the higher rotations through the bench means that endurance is (sadly IMO) not as important as burst speed.

A sacrifice has to be made for some pace

I'm less interested in seeing us lose with all our "favourite" players in the 22 than I am with selecting the right mix and continuing to win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back