AFL Cairns - 2011 Season Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expected more Lachrilly, something a bit more scathing and defensive.

I disagree about the car thing. The main reason to keep it down south is the weather.

There hasn't been a wet Saturday here all year, so why would anyone want to be in their car?

Getting people out and about to mingle is what football is all about, one group behind their coaches box and the other behind theirs. The members and old timers near the bar getting more boisterous as the day goes on.

Perfect beer and footy weather up here, no need for the car.

As for the races, you can get it on your phone now, no problems. You can even put bets on your phone these days.

Coaching has gone beyond a year-by-year thing, especially in a developing side like Souths. Perhaps it's just a way for the committee to advertise without having to tell the current coach they would like somebody better (even though everyone would always like a better coach, you have to be more subtle).

Coaching has gone beyond a year-by-year thing, especially in a developing side like Souths. Perhaps it's just a way for the committee to advertise without having to tell the current coach they would like somebody better (even though everyone would always like a better coach, you have to be more subtle).[/quote]

The club can't have the best of both worlds. Maybe they need to change the constitution and get rid of the rule full stop. Then the current day committee has the power to make a decision on coaching each year. If their happy with where the current coach is headed, no need to look elsewhere. If their not happy, advertise. Changing coaches year after year doesn't always help develop players who have to continually adapt to new coaching methods and structures.

As for the media article, not the best promotion of the game. I did laugh when it was bought to my attention by a former teammate. Must be said though that the coach can't have it boths ways, for he was the won applying to these coaching advertisements last year whilst still coaching my club.

Does anyone involved with South Cairns know if Matt Costello ended up playing their this season. I am a former teammate and am finding it difficult to contact him.

Just got home from the Hawks/Tigers game. Congrats to the hawks on a well deserved win.

On a very sour note, I have never seen such blatantly biased umpiring. In what planet can a runner, whilst coming off, run at an opposition player going for the ball, put him off and no free kick awarded. I dare any Hawks supporters to contradict that. Right in front of the stand...

It appears the umpires have sanctioned head high hits on tigers players. I do not recall one free for a high tackle to the tigers, yet it seemed any even remotely high tackle on a hawks player resulted in a free kick. Absolute disgrace they were, especially the clown known as Bob. It must have killed him to finally give us a free kick in the last quarter...

Hawks thouroughly deserved their win, but a goalless last quarter wouldn't make the coach happy.

Saints cruised passed a very disapointing Souths by by 140pts today. There is definately something going on at Souths with the players clearly not playing for the coach and no support at the game. At the 1/4 and 3/4 time huddles Saints had 20-30 people go out and listen while not 1 Souths supporter or reserves player went out to either break. Saints went in under strength and expecting a tough game but it didn't happen. 11 goals to 1 in the first set the tone for the day. Saints also won a tight ressies game by 4 goals.

Saints cruised passed a very disapointing Souths by by 140pts today. There is definately something going on at Souths with the players clearly not playing for the coach and no support at the game. At the 1/4 and 3/4 time huddles Saints had 20-30 people go out and listen while not 1 Souths supporter or reserves player went out to either break. Saints went in under strength and expecting a tough game but it didn't happen. 11 goals to 1 in the first set the tone for the day. Saints also won a tight ressies game by 4 goals.

That game sounds near identical to the Hawks v Norths game. Hawks expecting a tough game going in under strength but Norths weren't ever in it with an 11 goal to 2 1st quarter.
Regarding the unpires loyal tiger, we had supporters saying exactly the same thing thinking they were biased to Norths. Just goes to show they were very ordinary and who ever you follow, and watch, you will get very frustrated.

That game sounds near identical to the Hawks v Norths game. Hawks expecting a tough game going in under strength but Norths weren't ever in it with an 11 goal to 2 1st quarter.
Regarding the unpires loyal tiger, we had supporters saying exactly the same thing thinking they were biased to Norths. Just goes to show they were very ordinary and who ever you follow, and watch, you will get very frustrated.
You're right there teamwork, I don't think they favoured either side, they were just hopeless overall. Just be consistent umps, if you pay something once, pay it all day there will be less whinging.
Tigers didn't seem overly interested yesterday, I think they were already thinking of their post season shenanigans;)
Hawks were pretty good, although big man Powell went down early, was showered by half time so hope its not too serious, he's pretty important for the Hawks set up. Marto played well, got himself fit, but still loves playing the tough guy when the young fellas are around, yet when our bigger bodies step in goes back into his shell. Good to see some things haven't changed....I think Saint mentioned it, he provides great run off half back but good sides will burn him the other way. What do you think readycns?:confused:

Can't agree with you about marto Watson's. If you're implying that he's scared of the bigger bodies you're way off the mark. Glen has been terrific for us this season in all areas.
Powelly is fine, got couple stitches and given the score we decided to blood a young ruckman in Duffy who was terrific. He'll be one to watch in coming years, a natural ruckman and at 203cm will be a big lad once stopped growing.
Anyone know the Port v Centrals score? As usual they not on the afl cairns sporting pulse site yet.

Can't agree with you about marto Watson's. If you're implying that he's scared of the bigger bodies you're way off the mark. Glen has been terrific for us this season in all areas.
Powelly is fine, got couple stitches and given the score we decided to blood a young ruckman in Duffy who was terrific. He'll be one to watch in coming years, a natural ruckman and at 203cm will be a big lad once stopped growing.
Anyone know the Port v Centrals score? As usual they not on the afl cairns sporting pulse site yet.
Port by 6 goals.
With Marto scared is not the right word just not as tough with someone his size than smaller blokes. He has never been any different though

Watsons_oval i think you are a little delusional in regards to Glen Martin, but that's okay you have a whole off season to think about his "toughness" now. I didn't see one "big" bodied player go near him but it's all good. Thanks for a great game.
You weren't looking then plugger. Ran away from tennick twice. Keep on truckin' chammp

Duffy is a very exciting product and will go a long way which club is he from?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You weren't looking then plugger. Ran away from tennick twice. Keep on truckin' chammp

Watson how can any one see anything walking too and fro to the food bar? oh and coment on a game of fooball when clearly his exspeance would total no more than 5 under 18s games and 2 res games

Watson how can any one see anything walking too and fro to the food bar? oh and coment on a game of fooball when clearly his exspeance would total no more than 5 under 18s games and 2 res games
Geez dunno which way to go with you mate. On the one hand, yeah, Duffy looks a very likely type. I hear he also plays cricket pretty well so no doubt has a tough choice coming up. On the other, the only bar you would have seen me at is my own, so unless you're a peeping tom you have me confused with someone else. I think the word you're looking for is 'experience', nice try though, you weren't far off.:p
On another note, Hawks must have plenty of $$$, a few of our supporters rapt to get to Cazaly's in 1st quarter to see noone on the gate:confused:Damn shame I turned up before 2's finished, wasted 6 bucks seeing our lads plan their EOS trip.

Haha Tennick is hardly a big bloke watsons...and no he never ran away from anyone. Come on mate, sour grapes isn't the best look. Your season is over, just enjoy what I think will be a ripping finals series.

Hate having a whinge but the way South Cairns displayed themselves yesterday was not ideal. Obviously there have been issues with the coach, but at the end of the day he is coaching the way he thinks is right and the admin at South Cairns appointed him. He may have his own issues, either Souths did not do their research on him or they did and knew what the whole package included.

99 out of 100 coaches would walk away if they were copping even half of what he did yesterday from his own supporters and players. The Saints boys gave him full credit (even felt for the bloke) for not just being there but completing his leadership role for the day.

I am not going to state the actions that occurred during the day, I'll leave it to others. But, if one Souths person wants to disagree that the way most players and many supporters conducted themselves yesterday - don't bother as the Saints boys were shocked with what they saw.

Chris Adams IS a good footballer, he may not have been the right bloke for the souths job but the admin picked him to coach the club. I do not know him personally but he was more than welcoming to us as an opposition player/coach. Better than a lot of other opposition players we play during the year.

Well done to Chris for completing his role at the club and I hope he continues to play footy happily, tough times at Souths.

Haha Tennick is hardly a big bloke watsons...and no he never ran away from anyone. Come on mate, sour grapes isn't the best look. Your season is over, just enjoy what I think will be a ripping finals series.
He's big enough to get Glen going the other way:cool: Again I stress I am not questioning Marto's hardness at the contest, he took a couple of great marks running with the flight, but if you're gonna puff your chest out at a couple of skinny kids, keep it puffed when the reinforcements arrive:D
Sour grapes? We were thoroughly outplayed by a team who will be hard to beat for the flag. And it will be a cracking final series which I will be watching closley; for the 1st time since I've been here I believe all 4 finals teams could win it. Great for the comp.

You'd be hard pressed to make a case for Centrals winning the flag. Even with their new players, they've been beaten pretty comfortably by Port and Saints and lost to Hawks also. Prior to that they haven't beaten any of the top 3 sides and currently sit 7 games behind 2nd.

I'm not saying they can't possibly win the first semi, but the odds of each game are probably about 6-1, so multiplied out, it's about a 1 in 200 shot of them winning three games in a row to take the flag.

Souths administration have given themselves a god-awful mess to deal with. Can only put off prospective coaches, if you were a prosepective coach and saw any of what went on on Saturday, you would probably never return to the place.

Best thing for a new or prospective coach to do would be to speak to the old coach, but Souths would definitely not want that. They should have paid him out and he should have moved on when they decided to sack him rather than have him coach a team which for some reason doesn't want to play with him. He was their best player on the weekend, easily. This weekend will only be worse when they face the Hawks. I don't care if you don't like the coach, when you take the field, you do what the coach says or the administration should back the coach in not playing you. Couldn't feel more sorry for Souths' coach. The Souths Admin has to have a good hard look at itself, this is not the way to promote AFL.

Best thing for a new or prospective coach to do would be to speak to the old coach, but Souths would definitely not want that. They should have paid him out and he should have moved on when they decided to sack him rather than have him coach a team which for some reason doesn't want to play with him. He was their best player on the weekend, easily. This weekend will only be worse when they face the Hawks. I don't care if you don't like the coach, when you take the field, you do what the coach says or the administration should back the coach in not playing you. Couldn't feel more sorry for Souths' coach. The Souths Admin has to have a good hard look at itself, this is not the way to promote AFL.

Sadly I have to agree with you Saint, though many don't like the bloke he has made the team a better place you'd have to argue. Let him coach to the end of the season and give some momentum for next season. Its going to be a sad game next Friday night, thats for sure.

It should never get to the stage where the players like or dont like the coach... Saturday was a disgrace and the players need to have a good hard look at themselves.
Souths Admin should have refused to hand out any match payments... When the coach goes down after putting his body on the line for the team and players run by and say 'get up you weak dog' I have never felt more sorry for an opposition player let alone their playing coach. During the first quarter he ran to the bench to come off and the players on the bench refused to come on for him....
At three quarter time they were laughing in the huddle.. and not one supporter came out to listen...
The players need to remember the hard work put in by the ladies in the canteen, sponsers, committee and set an example to the younger players or the handful of south supporters that stayed to watch.....
Along with others I was a critic of the way Adams played early on in the season however on Saturday could not fault his game...
If I was a sponser of the Cutters I'd be asking questions to the committee about how my money was being given out to blokes who laugh on the field when they are getting a 20 goal flogging

It should never get to the stage where the players like or dont like the coach... Saturday was a disgrace and the players need to have a good hard look at themselves.
Souths Admin should have refused to hand out any match payments... When the coach goes down after putting his body on the line for the team and players run by and say 'get up you weak dog' I have never felt more sorry for an opposition player let alone their playing coach. During the third quarter he ran to the bench to come off and the players on the bench refused to come on for him....
At three quarter time they were laughing in the huddle.. and not one supporter came out to listen...
The players need to remember the hard work put in by the ladies in the canteen, sponsers, committee and set an example to the younger players or the handful of south supporters that stayed to watch.....
Along with others I was a critic of the way Adams played early on in the season however on Saturday could not fault his game...
If I was a sponser of the Cutters I'd be asking questions to the committee about how my money was being given out to blokes who laugh on the field when they are getting a 20 goal flogging

After reading this I actually feel quite sorry for the bloke, they should be ashamed of themselves calling a fellow team mate a "dog". Regardless of off field matters you are a team. Quite poor acts from the South Cairns guys it seems.

Then they (the admin) gave the coach 15 awards to hand out to the very same players who disrespected him so badly. In a 150 point thrashing, imagine the coach trying to pick only 5 who didn't deserve an award.

It was embarrassing for everybody involved and to watch.

The lady on the gate, the people in the canteen and the bar are all lovely people, but who's running the joint down there?

Then they (the admin) gave the coach 15 awards to hand out to the very same players who disrespected him so badly. In a 150 point thrashing, imagine the coach trying to pick only 5 who didn't deserve an award.

It was embarrassing for everybody involved and to watch.

The lady on the gate, the people in the canteen and the bar are all lovely people, but who's running the joint down there?

I was told one player threw his award back at the coach and when another player received an award the souths supporters laughed and said 'doesn't matter what you win, you will still be an asian'
Great culture they have going on down at Fretwell no wonder everyone walked out a few years back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back