AFL Cairns - 2011 Season Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were did port fall away? Looked strong half way threw the year and were looking promising to take it out? Also tips on the grand final and were it will be won? Saints by 3 goals for me

I have it on good advice that all is not at seems in good old Port. I think you might find that the season was Viola's last throw of the dice at Port Douglas. I would very surprised if he was there next year. As for the Grand Finals (which I'm going to watch) -

Ressies - Port to win comfortably

Seniors - Saints will be too strong for the Hawks.

Crathern Medal - Elliot Bath.

I have it on good advice that all is not at seems in good old Port. I think you might find that the season was Viola's last throw of the dice at Port Douglas. I would very surprised if he was there next year. As for the Grand Finals (which I'm going to watch) -

Ressies - Port to win comfortably

Seniors - Saints will be too strong for the Hawks.

Crathern Medal - Elliot Bath.

Not giving ol' Manunda a chance Flintstone?

Oh well Hawks reserves to come in as underdogs again, I think we are enjoying the role :thumbsu:

Better viewing on the weekend with a couple of close games. In both games the first quarter was the difference with the sides kicking into the breeze being the victors. Hawks just did enough, with some experienced heads holding firm but the young Martin played a beauty as well. Discipline seemed to be an issue from both sides, Viola could say that was the difference and Griffith needs to address it during the week.

Smith favourite tonight, but I think a few have noted he goes missing in the close games which I tend to agree with from the weekend. Although he would have had some close attention. Adams is my dark horse, I reckon the umpires might just see who gets the ball the most and give him votes.

If Saints can play well (and Hawks let them) then the premiership is theirs. They are strong all over the ground and with Walsh (heard he is a certainty) and Macqueen to come back in. The first quarter will tell the result, Saints will be kicking against the wind whatever the outcome of the toss.

I just hope there is no WIND!!! Wrecks a game when coaches throw numbers back.

Good point you make about the win Collo, I don't know if it's just me but over the last few weeks it has made a big difference in all games. Anyone who is kicking to the Cazalys bar end have to have a different gameplan to even get it down there. Got to feel for the defenders of the teams on Saturday if it is once again a stiff breeze.

I don't think it affects the result to much, Hawks should have won on the weekend and I don't think the results would have changed much last week. But it can wreck it from a viewing point. Stating the obvious but if you can kick a few into it like Hawks did on the weekend it goes a long, long way to winning the game. I think the Hawks twos did the same thing in the first?

Tough call putting Fred in the twos... Age may be against him but he will always bob up for you. Who will be the unlucky ones to miss games in both sides?

Tough call putting Fred in the twos... Age may be against him but he will always bob up for you. Who will be the unlucky ones to miss games in both sides?

You and I are both waiting on that Collo, Thursday night selection will be crucial. Two nights of good training and see who wants their spot more. End of the day we have two teams fighting for flags. So we have 70 odd guys fighting for selection. Makes for good times at the club :thumbsu:

You and I are both waiting on that Collo, Thursday night selection will be crucial. Two nights of good training and see who wants their spot more. End of the day we have two teams fighting for flags. So we have 70 odd guys fighting for selection. Makes for good times at the club :thumbsu:

Well done to the award winners last night

Daniel Smith Port D going back to back which is not all that easy

Tim Mackrill South Cairns along with Cameron Byrne from Saints for the Reserve Grade award

And not forgetting Kochy for the umpy's one :thumbsu:

Cam Byrne straps his shoulder just like Smith.

Might be a clue to those seeking the umpires votes. I think both of them yell at the umps a little bit too.

Do they do a list of the vote getters anywhere? Smith by a few, then Coatsworth by a few to the rest of the field is what I heard.

Surprising given how many Coatsworth missed (or played only part of) during the season. By surprising, I mean that he was so far ahead of other Saints players.

Great reserves match on Saturday. After a slow start, the Saints couldn't reel in a desperate Hawks outfit. A great season by the boys, but had a bad couple of quarters and that's all it takes come finals time. Hawks clearly wanted it more in the first half.

Better viewing on the weekend with a couple of close games. In both games the first quarter was the difference with the sides kicking into the breeze being the victors. Hawks just did enough, with some experienced heads holding firm but the young Martin played a beauty as well. Discipline seemed to be an issue from both sides, Viola could say that was the difference and Griffith needs to address it during the week.

Smith favourite tonight, but I think a few have noted he goes missing in the close games which I tend to agree with from the weekend. Although he would have had some close attention. Adams is my dark horse, I reckon the umpires might just see who gets the ball the most and give him votes.

If Saints can play well (and Hawks let them) then the premiership is theirs. They are strong all over the ground and with Walsh (heard he is a certainty) and Macqueen to come back in. The first quarter will tell the result, Saints will be kicking against the wind whatever the outcome of the toss.

I just hope there is no WIND!!! Wrecks a game when coaches throw numbers back.

There were no dark horses, the fish wrapper already named the final 10.

Well done to the award winners last night

Daniel Smith Port D going back to back which is not all that easy

Tim Mackrill South Cairns along with Cameron Byrne from Saints for the Reserve Grade award

And not forgetting Kochy for the umpy's one :thumbsu:

Have to agree with your comments Tamba. I must admit I was a bit surprised that young Fish got up but good on him.:cool:

There wasn't really that much competition in the Umpire of the Year (really). As for Coach of the Year, I thought Griffiths might have taken that one.

As for the Crathern, it was always going to be a tough ask for a Saints player to take this award out. I think you mentioned once before Tamba, if you have a heap of good players in a team they will invariably take points off each other. Anywho, onto the Grand Finals this Saturday.;)

Have to agree with your comments Tamba. I must admit I was a bit surprised that young Fish got up but good on him.:cool:

There wasn't really that much competition in the Umpire of the Year (really). As for Coach of the Year, I thought Griffiths might have taken that one.

As for the Crathern, it was always going to be a tough ask for a Saints player to take this award out. I think you mentioned once before Tamba, if you have a heap of good players in a team they will invariably take points off each other. Anywho, onto the Grand Finals this Saturday.;)

how does the coach who's team finishes 3rd and goes backwards from last year win coach of the year. Strange one for me. Well done Cam Byrne for his win. As for Fish, he was a the stand out player for Souths, not many others taking votes off him.

Was a good night last night smith a deserving winner can't believe there are people on here that have bad mouthed him the kid has one 3 league medals in 4 years 2 up here and one at his previous club in Victoria! if the kid was 6ft he would have been drafted!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a good night last night smith a deserving winner can't believe there are people on here that have bad mouthed him the kid has one 3 league medals in 4 years 2 up here and one at his previous club in Victoria! if the kid was 6ft he would have been drafted!

Sorry Doggies but have I missed something?? Who was bagging young Smith???

I'll admit to saying he can go missing in close games, but I don't think that is bagging him. I actually picked him to win, I would not say he is blessed with ability but he does work hard.

Viola did pretty well after all the departures from last year, add to that a win with a below par rep squad. You could write a case for Griffith and Coatesworth.

TIPS
Seniors - Saints by 25 points.
BOG - Hislop.

Reserves - Port by 30 points.

Yes I don't agree with viola winning thought it should of been coatsworth for fighting back and putting them in the best position for a 3rd grand final, or griffith for a great year, still abit dumbfounded by the viola one, but on. The smith one just seen through the year a few blokes naming him the most overrated player in the afl and so on, and look at Greg Williams for Carlton he wasn't a polished player either but he worked hard and racks up the possies and gets the job done, and was a champion,smith would of been avg about 30 possies a game

Yes I don't agree with viola winning thought it should of been coatsworth for fighting back and putting them in the best position for a 3rd grand final, or griffith for a great year, still abit dumbfounded by the viola one, but on. The smith one just seen through the year a few blokes naming him the most overrated player in the afl and so on, and look at Greg Williams for Carlton he wasn't a polished player either but he worked hard and racks up the possies and gets the job done, and was a champion,smith would of been avg about 30 possies a game

I don't think he would of been the only one averaging 30 possies per game. Being short probably helped him a long way of being noticed, because at the end of the day its all about who is noticed more.

I was also quite shocked the Hawks boys polled so low, i'd put it down to vote stealing but with Port and Saints going so well I can't put my finger on it.

No I realize that he wasnt the only one, just saying for all his doubters, obviously coatsworth would have taken it out if he played a full season only 6 votes behind smith and missed out on about 7 games, also elich would of been a deserved winner as well, but it's a midfielders award really and smith wouldn't of had many challenges from his midfield teammates at port, which makes him stand out more

No I realize that he wasnt the only one, just saying for all his doubters, obviously coatsworth would have taken it out if he played a full season only 6 votes behind smith and missed out on about 7 games, also elich would of been a deserved winner as well, but it's a midfielders award really and smith wouldn't of had many challenges from his midfield teammates at port, which makes him stand out more

I don't think he missed 7 full games, but missed a few and played plenty of half-games.

Not sure how you'd pick a coaching one, really. Do you base it on performance i.e. win/loss or do you try to judge it on performance by cattle, which is ridiculous? I thought CTB were one of the better structured sides, but with few cattle. Port coach themselves in terms of positions and players, while Saints and Hawks results have been based on a spread of talent across the ground.

I would have thought whoever wins on Saturday would have a stronger claim than Viola, though.

Nothing wrong with Smith winning it, one of the best on-ballers in the comp and I think umpires would be unlikely to give votes to Ubergang, he's not a terribly eye catching player, but is from the games i've seen more effective than Smith. I'm sure Smith got a lot more attention this year than last, so to be 11(?) votes clear of 3rd is a pretty good achievement. From what's on the news websites, does he say he's never won a premiership?

Good luck to the hawks boys on game day.
You boys deserve a win after such a terrible year last year of the field. Anyone associated with the club will know what I am talking about.
I have to ask you teamwork as a coach do you bring that up as motivation to win or is that a topic that does not get brought up.
It would be on some of the boys minds to win it for there mate but not sure if it something that is spoken about. Please tell me your thoughts.
C'mon hawks everyone has you beaten already prove em wrong.:)

Good luck to the hawks boys on game day.
You boys deserve a win after such a terrible year last year of the field. Anyone associated with the club will know what I am talking about.
I have to ask you teamwork as a coach do you bring that up as motivation to win or is that a topic that does not get brought up.
It would be on some of the boys minds to win it for there mate but not sure if it something that is spoken about. Please tell me your thoughts.
C'mon hawks everyone has you beaten already prove em wrong.:)

Don't think everyone thinks that Saints already have it won. Hawks finished on top for a reason and i think the betting will be pretty tight.
Is there anywhere you can get a full look at the votes for this year. Interesting to see in which games guys got their votes in.

how does the coach who's team finishes 3rd and goes backwards from last year win coach of the year. Strange one for me. Well done Cam Byrne for his win. As for Fish, he was a the stand out player for Souths, not many others taking votes off him.

Viola being named coach of the year makes a mockery of the award. Will someone from AFL Cairns please tell us what the requirements are?

Griffiths surely would be coach of the year in turning the Hawks around to be minor premiers and in a grand final?

Coatesworth has again done a terrific job priming the mighty sainters to be favorites for the flag.

And Viola, whose team went backwards, not only finishing third but not even making the grand final, gets the nod??????????

The mind boggles!

Although it's all elementary now as the saints are - home and hosed!

It probably helped he coached the rep team and got them the win when they were underdogs?? Who knows

Is it done from the Coaches & the league ?????

I know in the past it usually has been the Minor Premiership Coach,
that has taken the honours,
obsessively they have change the criteria :rolleyes:

Two others could have been looked at as well --- really think about it

Tyson Lane getting Central a tighter club

Chris Adams taking Souths to ---OK-- 4 wins-----but look how many they only lost by a few points

if we are reading into why the others were not named, then, these two gents need to be in the mix

I know I will be bagged on this,

But HEY ,

All Coaches have had done a bloody good year

AND I FOR ONE APPLAUD THEM ALL

I'm Tamba & that is my call today;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back