AFL Cairns - 2011 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few of the reserves boys at Saints have told me that they have had an umpire the past two weeks who has been giving them a mouthful on the field. Telling them to get a kick and swearing at them. Im not an umpire basher on here but theres no way umpires should be doing that. Keep to umpiring the game guys shouldn't be talking to the players like that. The players can't talk to the umpires like that

A few of the reserves boys at Saints have told me that they have had an umpire the past two weeks who has been giving them a mouthful on the field. Telling them to get a kick and swearing at them. Im not an umpire basher on here but theres no way umpires should be doing that. Keep to umpiring the game guys shouldn't be talking to the players like that. The players can't talk to the umpires like that

Cant say I heard anything from the boys, but hardly anything to worry about for the Saints seeing as you won in the reserves.

what happened to you just giving your tips Lachrilly???

Embarrassing - too true. Heard yesterday at Griffiths that the Rep Squad had been announced. How is it that Boxall and Coatsworth were picked over Booth - who's currently on 34 goals for the year. Oh.... is it that they play for Saints and Crocs??

Another 7 goals for the Hawks player. Good form.

haha stupidest comment in the history of bigfooty. Hocking from Port and Coatsworth are clearly the best two players in the league.. Booth played well Saturday but to say he should get picked before Coatsworth is a joke. I agree he should be in the squad but not before coatsworth or boxall

haha stupidest comment in the history of bigfooty. Hocking from Port and Coatsworth are clearly the best two players in the league.. Booth played well Saturday but to say he should get picked before Coatsworth is a joke. I agree he should be in the squad but not before coatsworth or boxall

Well well...seeing you are a newbie like me - are you feeling antagonistic today?? Two posts in a row...

Regardless, If you understood what I was saying you wouldn't have needed to post. I never said he should be picked before or instead of both the others. I'm sure they will do a sterling effort and do Cairns proud. I was just saying he should have up there with them... particularly for the fact his goal average is highest in the league.

Anyway, I don't really care about the squad - he prob doesn't either. It's all about the game, which this weekend will be a killer.

Dunno why the umpires are gettin dragged onto the page, but bottom line is we need them to have a game, and as I heard from a very wise man one day,

We are playing footy in Cairns, if the player is that good to go 100 mintues without a mistake, he would not be here, so when an umpire makes a mistake during that 100 mins, that is why he is here!!

Now to the real stuff, rep footy is an honor, but when players make themselves unavailable because they would rather play club footy, does that constitute a breach of the code, in that they rate club footy more important, or, does it show they dont give a rats about the league and what they are trying to achieve in improvement, and they would rather play for themselves and their match payments???

Not saying all guys pull out for the match payments, some have legit reasons, but what is the concensus on guys putting club/match payments before representative honors??

I don't see what a rep game acheives in terms of improving the standard of AFL in Cairns. Since a lot of players are here for only a couple of years, they dont have a lot of attachment to the league.

I've always thought rep games should be limited to under 23s, with perhaps 2 or 3 elder players, like soccer at the olympics.

Would end up showcasing a lot more local talent and for the players would be a lot more beneficial for young guys than older guys, particularly ones who have come from a better standard of football.

In terms of the spectacle of the game and quality of the players, each side in Cairns plays each other 3 times, so plenty of time to see good players from other teams.

Umpires do a good job, who cares if they give a bit of lip as long as they don't make decisions based on what they've said or pick on players with the whistle as well as the mouth.

One thing funny about the umpires at Fretwell yesterday was in the Reserves just before half time, Port kick a good goal just over by an arms length,

but,

two players went down over the line,
Goal umpire trying to get out of way did a Scottish jig,
And trying to signal it was a legit score,
one Souths player quick thinking grabbed the ball and took off across the backline to clear it out, field umpy called play on, Souths ran away with it and scored down the other end

Whilst two Port players stood looking back at goal ump with their hands out asking what the ---k,
Goal Ump had his hands on his hips shaking his head waiting for someone to come back to him about it.

I was sitting at my usual seat at the can bar with others and had a good laugh.

Ok we were beaten, but in a Main field umpire day (reserves) one waved to the crowd when it was pointed out right in front of them a head high that nearly took the chaps head off & called play on.

Seniors were just as bad, ump's no.27 should be retired & 11 is a joke, both stop being bias, one rule for all, not just one team :thumbsdown:

I dont think the Cutters have alot more other things to sort out before they can start complaining about the umpires. Seems like the lads are lacking confidence in what their doing and don't have a desire to play for one another.

I dont think the Cutters have alot more other things to sort out before they can start complaining about the umpires. Seems like the lads are lacking confidence in what their doing and don't have a desire to play for one another.

BRUNO, BRUNO ----who said the Cutters were complaining,I did not say anyone in what Team complained, read what I said I didn't put the comments down as to which team was hard done by or WHO may think I'm about & don't read into things.

Just because I follow Souths I also comment on other teams that play them that day, :eek:

If you sit with me at football as a few do, I'm on record as to cheering for the other side WHEN they Do things great like good teamwork leading to or not to a goal or great play. I love skilled play I grew up in S.A. in the 60's so like talented play

So don't read into my blogs for comments that are not there for the sake of talking crap or start slanging matches

I do enough of that myself when I want TOO. :D

Gee there's a bit on here at the minute! Where to begin??

Let's start with the umpires...they get PAID and so are subject to scrutiny as much as clubs, players, administration etc. In my view, there seems to be a school of thought among the umpiring group that they are as much on show as the players on game day and this comes out in th eway of severe over umpiring. Severe!
In my belief, and a belief shared by many, is that if you didn't notice the umpire then he has done a good job. I have seen a couple really over emphasise their calls and blow the whistle at every opportunity just to be seen, or to be seen as "in control". In the field of umpiring, less is more. I would rather see a few missed than a few given that were not there or even tiggy touchwood.

As for the rep game. I was fortunate enought to play a lot of rep footy, and it was then as it is now, a priviledge, and an honor. Having said that, CLUB always came first, and always should. I missed one or two due to the body needing a rest or if we had a big game the following week. If a player is carrying a niggle that may see tham in need of a week rest, then I am all for it. Yes we want to and need to, represent Cairns footy in a way that will increase it's notoriety and stature. However, we should not force anyone into a game if they are not interested. In the end it's their decision.
I remember one league down home in Victoria threatening suspension if a player did not have a doctor's certificate stating they were injured. This didnt go down well at all and rightly so.
Of course a player's club comes first. Rep is an honored bonus, but, leave that it upto the players.

I agree with what many are saying, it is an honour to get the recognition to play rep footy but it is finding the time to do it. Some players do only move to Cairns for footy and the payments that come with them, the club is their employer. Some players just want that long weekend off and who could blame them. Players should not need an excuse, it is up to them.

I think what Saint wrote has merit, but then again there are plenty of good players running around over 23. I think the tough part would be to coach the rep side, giving up your own time thinking you have some good cattle to coach but many make themselves unavailable. AFL Cairns have to create an incentive to player/club to increase the chances of the best being available. What realistic ideas are there?

Simple fact is that this year they pick the best 22 players who make themselves available and we (as critics) don't get filthy when someone doesn't get selected. I know a few North Cairns boys are good enough and I'm sure Kane put their name forward but they just were not interested.

I have long said that the standard of umpiring in Cairns is a lot to be desired. AFL Cairns need to go out and find someone (from down south) who has ample experience with umpiring and who can be given the respect that the position deserves. I don't think anyone could bring down the current umpires boss, he'll do that by himself. There are a couple of decent umpires here but there are a lot who should give it away. As for the footy, I would have loved to have watched the Hawks Saints match up, it sounds like it would have been a cracker.

Three games this week which could really go either way (except one which is more of a long-shot.)

Lions v Souths.
The Lions have been improving steadily and recording improved performances from week to week, while on the other hand, the Souths improvment seems to have plateaued. Lions will think themselves a chance, but I think Souths will pull themselves out of what seems like a slump to take the points.

Port v Hawks.

Both played Saints in their last game at Griffiths, Port just got over the line after a massive first quarter and trailing with 5 minutes to go. While the Hawks smashed the Saints to bits in a commanding display from go to whoa. Port have had the break, which may have been needed. Interesting to see what happens with the player who wanted to cross from Port to Hawks. I'm tipping the Hawks, who are in really good form at the moment.

Norths v Trinity Beach.
Trinity would be raging favourites and will most likely mop the floor with Norths, but Norths will come out chomping at the bit. Centrals to win easily after a first quarter scare.

So i've tipped the favourites, but each game would be worthy of admission.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions to record their first win, and possibly only win of the season.
Hawks to get over Port in a tight contest, but will kick away to win by 5 goals.
CTB will easily account for Norths.

Would think Port would be pretty happy to beat Hawks by your predicted 6-8 goals Dr Dick... Hawks belted the Crocs in the first round and would say that both teams have improved again, but not enough for the gap to close to much,, Hawks have far more fire power than any other team in the comp,, they've got the big inns this week.. M Perry, J Scrymgour and D Roe,, they flew in the last time they played Port and got the 3,2,1 votes with $$$ awards... could be scary if they do get all on the park at onetime or oneday

Lions to record their first win, and possibly only win of the season.
Hawks to get over Port in a tight contest, but will kick away to win by 5 goals.
CTB will easily account for Norths.

Yeah I'd like to see lions take home a win too.
Hawks will be tough with the travel and port supporters will be a strong presence.... But I think the hawk boys will see it to a win

So those three come back in, who goes out? Pretty stiff to be one of the players in last weeks' demolition of the Saints to miss out this week.

Port at home after the week off, you never know.

Port didn't have the week off Centrals did.

My Kiss this week :confused:

Souths

Port in a very close tussle

Norths to come back & throw this comp into a turmoil :eek::D

Would think Port would be pretty happy to beat Hawks by your predicted 6-8 goals Dr Dick... Hawks belted the Crocs in the first round and would say that both teams have improved again, but not enough for the gap to close to much,, Hawks have far more fire power than any other team in the comp,, they've got the big inns this week.. M Perry, J Scrymgour and D Roe,, they flew in the last time they played Port and got the 3,2,1 votes with $$$ awards... could be scary if they do get all on the park at onetime or oneday

maybe not 6-8 goals now ... didnt realise Relton and bading were out.
still think Port will win.

Also any truth to the rumour Hawks are getting investigated for exceeding the player points rule in one of their games this yr?

So those three come back in, who goes out? Pretty stiff to be one of the players in last weeks' demolition of the Saints to miss out this week.

Port at home after the week off, you never know.

Three injuries Saint. The club decided to rest rather than risk.

maybe not 6-8 goals now ... didnt realise Relton and bading were out.
still think Port will win.

Also any truth to the rumour Hawks are getting investigated for exceeding the player points rule in one of their games this yr?

Ah Dr...all you can do is laugh. Knowing the Hawks points tally, and knowing that it's no where near the limit, shows how that comment's only purpose was to start a bullshit rumor. I'm here to tell you Dr, that Hawks don't have a points issue.

Port didn't have the week off Centrals did.

My Kiss this week :confused:

Souths

Port in a very close tussle

Norths to come back & throw this comp into a turmoil :eek::D

Tigers smashed the Dogs today, around 8 goals. Finally put 4 quarters together and delivered a win instead of another admirable loss.:thumbsu:
Might be the confidence booster they need to get the chase for 4th spot going again.:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back