AFL Cairns - 2011 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is a story at your club, let the paper know about it. I think that's how half of their stories come about, rather than them going to look for them.

Popular football stories in the past:
Fathers playing with sons,
More than 3 brothers playing together
Recovery from illness/crash to play again
Game milestones of 300 or above

Was Manunda's score the highest kicked in many years? That could have been a story, 70 odd scoring shots has to be some sort of record, perhaps just for the club?

Is there any truth to the rumour of Viola quiting as Port coach. Just something I overheard at the Caz Bar last night:confused:

Now to the reall stuff:

Port by a thousand
Tigers easily
Saints comfortably

your crystal ball mucked up very bad :p

Souths lost in a nail biter 9 points
shut most of the Douglas crowd up with two minutes to go
and we were 3 points down :eek:

not a 3 team race as previously said :D

In that case its a 2 team race:cool:
Tigers by 10 goals

Mucked up badly?? Hardly tamba I got 3 from 3!
Tigers won easily
Saints won comfortably
and Port won with a lot out. Not by a thousand by a win none the less.
I hear Hawks and port had a dozen out each. I can vouch for Hawks as I was there. Saints though were very slick, great ball use and sure handed. Will be hard to beat this year. I would say they look a fair bit better than last year.

2 teams race?? Saints and who?? hawks were horrible today and lovely to see numb 5 stomp on some heads, if the umpiring was good up here he would get 10+ weeks rubbed out, Ive stuck up for them before but when a bloke kicks blokes in the head and only gets a yellow card its a farce...

Sit down and shut up idiot, did you even see the incident?

Mucked up badly?? Hardly tamba I got 3 from 3!
Tigers won easily
Saints won comfortably
and Port won with a lot out. Not by a thousand by a win none the less.
I hear Hawks and port had a dozen out each. I can vouch for Hawks as I was there. Saints though were very slick, great ball use and sure handed. Will be hard to beat this year. I would say they look a fair bit better than last year.

thought there would be excuses for them no way did they have that many out.:thumbsdown:
they had the best side available to the coach that's what matters. yes Shaw was on the hill sucking from a can & two new recruits with him, great team example when they could have been down with the coach aiding him in the box.:p

thought there would be excuses for them no way did they have that many out.:thumbsdown:
they had the best side available to the coach that's what matters. yes Shaw was on the hill sucking from a can & two new recruits with him, great team example when they could have been down with the coach aiding him in the box.:p

Actually it was about those sort of numbers, I can name 12 of the top of my head right now.

Whenever the hawks lose I always hear of them missing 6+ senior players.... I would also like them named. I can say the Brisbane Lions lost to the dogs because they were missing Michael Voss, Roger Merret, Brad Hardie and Craig Lambert. Unless it is 12 players, a 15 goal turn around will be tough.

Good win by the Tigers, 10 goals is convincing but unfortunately Lions look like a long year is ahead. Improvement will continue down at Watsons!

Surely Shaw is not playing if he was drinking tins on the hill, he isn't that silly. Sounds like a good game between Crocs and Cutters.

Whenever the hawks lose I always hear of them missing 6+ senior players.... I would also like them named. I can say the Brisbane Lions lost to the dogs because they were missing Michael Voss, Roger Merret, Brad Hardie and Craig Lambert. Unless it is 12 players, a 15 goal turn around will be tough.

Good win by the Tigers, 10 goals is convincing but unfortunately Lions look like a long year is ahead. Improvement will continue down at Watsons!

Surely Shaw is not playing if he was drinking tins on the hill, he isn't that silly. Sounds like a good game between Crocs and Cutters.

Spot on Collo, its never 'the oppostiton was too good', always 'we had this many out'. I'm sure Hawks had a few out, are a good team and probably Saints biggest challenge at this stage, but also sure that Saints weren't at full strength either, just like Norths, Souths and every other team in the league.
On the Shaws, heard from a pretty close mate of theirs that they are not interested in playing football this year, and sucking cans on the hill is as close as they will get to the on field action.

Spot on Collo, its never 'the oppostiton was too good', always 'we had this many out'. I'm sure Hawks had a few out, are a good team and probably Saints biggest challenge at this stage, but also sure that Saints weren't at full strength either, just like Norths, Souths and every other team in the league.
On the Shaws, heard from a pretty close mate of theirs that they are not interested in playing football this year, and sucking cans on the hill is as close as they will get to the on field action.

Saints were missing a couple of players and will do for a few more weeks. They also lost 2 players before 1/4 time which makes their win even more impressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually it was about those sort of numbers, I can name 12 of the top of my head right now.

Wow you must have a real long nose and brown eyes..:D

According to sportingpulse teamsheets submitted there were 6 changes in the Hawks senior side compared to round 1:
INS: Welsford, Whitling, Matecjack, Flint, Wilesmith, Aisi
OUTS: Brown, Langford, Pittorino, Martin, Sauiluma, Terry

2 of the INS played in the magoos in Round 1 (Flint was the leading scorer with 4 and Welsford was named in the Best on)

2 of them are on this years clearance list and 1 OUT is Glen Martin, which speaks for itself :thumbsdown: ..

Most of your leading goal kickers from round 1 played but were ineffective. Pittorino was obviously missed but overall not an extremely different list compared to your round 1 list, and hardly 12 pinocchio..

Just say " 'onya Saints" or "Yea, there are some things we need to work on" (Like being honorable in defeat) but don't come on here and say "ohh we had players out".. all the teams do.. and it makes your club look terrible.

I havent looked but I would assume these weren't the most changes for a team in the comp this week.

summed it up beautifully HadToPost, personally I will wait until every team has played each other twice before attempting any predictions.....and will probably still get it wrong.....

Saints were very good! They moved the ball well and were quick and slick. Was that Mcentee that did a knee before 1/4 time? As for Hawks, they had 5 out in round one, then another 6 oon top of that in round 2. But who cares! The moment you pull on your club's jumper in the late game you are a senior footballer. We were beaten by a better team on the night hands down.

Saints were very good! They moved the ball well and were quick and slick. Was that Mcentee that did a knee before 1/4 time? As for Hawks, they had 5 out in round one, then another 6 oon top of that in round 2. But who cares! The moment you pull on your club's jumper in the late game you are a senior footballer. We were beaten by a better team on the night hands down.

It was mcentree but i heard it was a dislocated knee cap. That must be better than doing a knee i would think. After the bye will be a testing time for Saints with a few players unavailable and with the few injuries from saturday should be a testing time

It was mcentree but i heard it was a dislocated knee cap. That must be better than doing a knee i would think. After the bye will be a testing time for Saints with a few players unavailable and with the few injuries from saturday should be a testing time

That is good news, that's much better than doing a knee properly. I would guess 6 weeks at most? No one likes to see a player taken by cart from the ground clutching at his knee. We thought the worst, glad to hear it is not.

Hopefully all turns out well for D Mac. Dislocations can do a lot of ligament damage and can be long term, will all depend on how it went back in etc.

I didn't realise Hawks only took to the field with 10 players, so they should do better when they include another 12 players.:rolleyes:

Having players out might make for good excuses for any side, but the more a side plays together, the better it gets. Having players out sets you back, particularly when there are so many changes in the off-season.

You could tell they had a few out by the amount of grey hair in the twos. Not saying some of them weren't ok, but it can be a fairly good indicator.

Was interesting that kicking with the wind in the last quarter Hawks decided to start with 2 guys loose in defence, including not starting with a wing on the attacking (scoreboard) side. Gave them no chance in the final quarter, even though they were kicking with at least a 4 goal breeze. Unless the coach was deliberately trying to exaggerate the scoreline...

I'm sure the scorelines will be closer in future encounters.

We were trying a couple of young blokes in different positions and scenarios in the last quarter. Wanted some to get a few cheap touches across half back to help with confidence after they were comprehensivley beaten in the first three quarters. Sometimes you need to look beyond the final result on the board early enough to begin building something for the following week. knowing that the 4 points were certainly gone and knowing that we will be again without many V Port at Port. If they had of delivered well into the forward line we would have scored a few goals, but unfortunatley they played that loose role purely as defenders rather than looking to attack. But with that experience along with some explanation after the game they learnt a valuable lesson which we hope will hold them in good stead if they are brought up later in the year when results count a bit more.

Wow you must have a real long nose and brown eyes..:D

According to sportingpulse teamsheets submitted there were 6 changes in the Hawks senior side compared to round 1:
INS: Welsford, Whitling, Matecjack, Flint, Wilesmith, Aisi
OUTS: Brown, Langford, Pittorino, Martin, Sauiluma, Terry

2 of the INS played in the magoos in Round 1 (Flint was the leading scorer with 4 and Welsford was named in the Best on)

2 of them are on this years clearance list and 1 OUT is Glen Martin, which speaks for itself :thumbsdown: ..

Most of your leading goal kickers from round 1 played but were ineffective. Pittorino was obviously missed but overall not an extremely different list compared to your round 1 list, and hardly 12 pinocchio..

Just say " 'onya Saints" or "Yea, there are some things we need to work on" (Like being honorable in defeat) but don't come on here and say "ohh we had players out".. all the teams do.. and it makes your club look terrible.

I havent looked but I would assume these weren't the most changes for a team in the comp this week.

So 6 out, where you think most of those 6 came from? Reserves. So 6+6=12. And I said around 12 mate...

We were trying a couple of young blokes in different positions and scenarios in the last quarter. Wanted some to get a few cheap touches across half back to help with confidence after they were comprehensively beaten in the first three quarters. Sometimes you need to look beyond the final result on the board early enough to begin building something for the following week. knowing that the 4 points were certainly gone and knowing that we will be again without many V Port at Port. If they had of delivered well into the forward line we would have scored a few goals, but unfortunately they played that loose role purely as defenders rather than looking to attack. But with that experience along with some explanation after the game they learnt a valuable lesson which we hope will hold them in good stead if they are brought up later in the year when results count a bit more.

well done to the coaching squad :thumbsu:
at least they are thinking and giving youngterz some chance to regain confidence. if the game is gone , ---well ---why not try & give our future a go ???????

otherwise the club WILL / COULD lose them to another CODE

it happened at Souths unfortunately a couple years ago.

well done to the coaching squad :thumbsu:
at least they are thinking and giving youngterz some chance to regain confidence. if the game is gone , ---well ---why not try & give our future a go ???????

otherwise the club WILL / COULD lose them to another CODE

it happened at Souths unfortunately a couple years ago.

Well said Tamba......

Just one thing to remember, there are some other contributing factors that sway youngsters away from our great game here in Cairns. Lack of opportunites would only make up a small percentage of these young code changers. From what I have seen, most clubs in Cairns give their young fellas a go at senior football. Promoting our juniors is the key to success for all clubs as well as the competition as a whole.......:thumbsu:

Im not pointing fingers but I think un-social behaviours in and around clubs contribute to youngsters choosing a different code. In saying that, its vital that our senior coaches make the connection with the new generation coming through and make our competition one of the most competitive in Qld.

A couple of good games coming up this week,

CTB v Norths could end up deciding a finals spot come the end of the year. Norths bounced back for their first win next week, while CTB have had a week off after narrowly beating Souths who have shown they're a contender(perhaps) by only narrowly going down to Port. If Centrals win this week, it will go a long way to securing them a finals place. I'm tipping Centrals at home after a week off to have the better legs come the last quarter, in a very close one. CTB by less than 2 goals.

Cairns City Lions will be looking just for little improvements around the park, while Souths will be confident of getting a win under their belts after two narrow defeats. A loss this week for Souths would have been heartbreaking, but they should get up here in style and reinforce their improvement this year, giving a much maligned coach (here) a good win. Souths by 7 goals.

Port v Manunda
Looks an important game in terms of a top two finish (alhtouhg CTB might have something to say about that). Port only just got over the line at home, while Manunda were pantsed at home, albeit with some guys out (how many that was will soon be seen). Port may have some of their own inclusions, but time will tell on all of that. I'm tipping Port, since they've had a run under their belts and will improve, while Manunda probably dont' know themselves yet who will be driving up the highway. Port by 2 goals.

A lot of teams may discover where they're really at this week, particularly CTB and Port who have only played one game a piece so far.

I thought Beetham was asked to leave the club, why would they deny his clearance? See a few names back at Manunda, those 12 players missing from last week might not get a game this week....

Top 4 will be a great race, I can only see Cities (sorry to their aspiations) as the team who are no chance to make the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back