AFL CAIRNS - Season 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez the Tigers were impressive against the Saints on Saturday. Before the match I tipped the Saints to win and probably would have backed them to win the GF, but after watching the game I would have to say North's are definitely flag favourites and any other team is going to have to work their backsides off to even be able to compete with them come September. If it wasn't for wayward kicking on Saturday North's would have won by 10 goals. I have no doubt the Saints will rebound and will challenge strongly in the finals, but I can't see them toppling the Tiger's. It's great to see another team step up this year so credit must go to Richter and the boys for their hard work. Also, well done to the Cutter's and Lion's for great wins on Saturday. The race for that 4th position is really hotting up now and based on current form I would say that South's may just sneak into the finals.

Looks like a FNQ side will enter the NEAFL competition next year. Finer details are just being completed. One of those details will be whether it is a Cairns side, or a side that comes from the major AFLQ country cities (Cairns, Townsville, Mackay and maybe Rockhampton). Each city has a squad that trains together and the selected team play at the destination on the weekend.

Cairns, in particular Gary Young and Reg Lillywhite, are pushing AFLQ for a Cairns only side that is based at Cazalys. Cazalys will be the major sponsor so I reckon AFLQ will have to let it be a Cairns team. SkyTrans have also committed their support after ditching the NBL side in Cairns.

Love to hear everyones pros and cons for this. From my own opinion, this type of progression bridges the gap between FNQ and AFL dominated areas like here in Victoria.

A huge coup is that people living in regional QLD (or other AFL dominated areas) may move to Cairns to try their luck in the NEAFL. If they don't make it, AFL Cairns clubs will be there to swoop on the leftovers. It also stops the 16-21 age bracket leaving the region to further their footy. Of a 30 man squad, those who don't get picked are aligned to play at club level. With a further 10 players a part of a development squad (under 21) to top up if needed.

Heaps to talk about on this topic. Where does this leave Hawks? Does the new team recruit players? Who coaches? What impact does it have on the local league / clubs? What impact does it have on the region?

I have said my view on this over the previous years and have been shot down quicker than the Red Barron knocked all out of the sky. I love the idea but many don't.

Again Hawks have been discussed many times what happens to them. They have been or were told to leave HQ at the end of this or next year.

Again where is the money coming from ? $1.5M is what keeps the southern teams in the NEAFL South. That fact is easy to check.

My only concern, if that type of Doe Ray Me is around would it not be better to improve our league instead of throwing money at ---- would be, could be, but can't make it ---so called footballers taking coin or holding Cairns AFL to ransom .
I know it already happens here and the club I support has been duped many times into paying the coin over the years for sweet bugger all return, but where do we as supporters of AFL Cairns draw the line and get pissed off with fly by night / season thieves.

Reckon there will be major AFL support for the NQ side tamba - they will want this side to work. The sides in Brisbane/GC will be asked to look after themselves a bit more I predict.
Secondly the anticipated costs are around the $600K mark - $200K salary cap + $300k for footy department incl physios, doctors, S&C coaches etc. Not sure of the extras attached to the running of a footy club after this but it stands to reason that NQ cannot continue to be a major strength at U16 and U18 level in State footy yet not have many of these kids filter thru due to logistics. Reckon it will be great for the local comp too as the side will only have 35 listed players meaning a handful flow back into the local comp anyway.
If it can be costed and worked then reckon Cairns (not T'ville which has also been proposed as a venue) will benefit immensely.

Spot on Smy, the quality of talent that has come and gone through the junior Cairns ranks is evidence that Cairns is the logical location for the team.

I didn't know about the AFL funding towards this side but that would help. Cazalys in Cairns is a very profitable operation and from my understanding is not a major sponsor of anyone. With SkyTrans on board I don't think the finances will be a big problem.

Is there a new venue being built on the south side of Cairns where Manunda could possibly be based? I am not sure how this will work with 3 sides operating out of South Cairns (including the Pyramid Power juniors). I would think the Manunda Hawks committee would be aware of this situation.

I don't think overpaying players will be a problem, these would be semi professional footballers who will only be in side if they want to be. You wouldn't have to beg them to play. If it is run professionally, players would toe the line. In the VFL and other state leagues, you often find that players are paid a great deal less than what they could get in lower standard leagues. Players play for the development.

My mail was that Cazalys will only sponsor if Cairns was home base. Geographically, Townsville is a good choice, but Cairns has the strength in numbers, resources and better standard of football.

S

Is there a new venue being built on the south side of Cairns where Manunda could possibly be based? I am not sure how this will work with 3 sides operating out of South Cairns (including the Pyramid Power juniors). I would think the Manunda Hawks committee would be aware of this situation.

3 teams in the one area,
This already happens around the city area now with.

Saints at Griffith,
Norths at Watson's,
Hawks at Gazaly's

So it would be nothing different to them coming South. Have heard though (Hawks) they may be based at Griffith 2. With that being refurbished. That was a rumor passed to me from a good source. :eek:

Here is one for you to think about -- talk to Cape York rent / share Buchan St that way it will be utilized moved and improved for them (Cape York) and boost income.

3 teams in the one area,
This already happens around the city area now with.

Saints at Griffith,
Norths at Watson's,
Hawks at Gazaly's

So it would be nothing different to them coming South. Have heard though (Hawks) they may be based at Griffith 2. With that being refurbished. That was a rumor passed to me from a good source. :eek:

Here is one for you to think about -- talk to Cape York rent / share Buchan St that way it will be utilized moved and improved for them (Cape York) and boost income.

No club rooms or change rooms at Griffiths 2 would be a problem for Hawks if they moved there. Also no lights on the oval. Parking is also an issue when Cricket training and Football training are both on as it is

Any chance of Hawks being the Senior team for Pyramid Power and being based there?

Being based out of Buchan Street seems to make the most sense.

No club rooms or change rooms at Griffiths 2 would be a problem for Hawks if they moved there. Also no lights on the oval. Parking is also an issue when Cricket training and Football training are both on as it is

Any chance of Hawks being the Senior team for Pyramid Power and being based there?

Being based out of Buchan Street seems to make the most sense.

I really think Pyramid Power would have a major problem with that and I wouldn't blame them, they have been working towards the privilege (of having a Senior Club) for a while and I believe they rightly deserve to on their own, not a relocated club / join / takeover. No offense intended to Manunda.

Besides that, it wouldn't be fun anymore to beat Hawks as they would be a NEW Hy-Bred Team :D

Interesting commentary, well here's my two cents. Griffiths won't accommodate another footy club. The Buchan St ground is too small for a proper game of footy. Hawks could be moved out to Edmonton and be based at the new Edmonton Leisure Centre. I don't think Hawks and Pyramid will ever happen. Will AFL Cairns force the Hawks to shut up shop and run a six team comp, who knows?? The options have been discussed at HQ.

Congratulations to the St Augustine's (Yr 8&9) AFL Team for winning the final of the GC Suns Cup. Super Coach Walshy looked more than happy in the team photo after the presentations and well done to the young Hawks player who was named BOG. ;)

The AFL facility at Buchan would be the logical choice, but it's not in the area Manunda would want it and don't half the kids there play for Norths?

It's great for Cairns if it's based here. I think it will make the local teams stronger, nobody would want to live in Rocky or Townsville and play in Cairns. So anyone wanting to play for the Cairns NEAFL team would have to move to Cairns. Those who don't make it will play locally and local kids will stay trying to make the team. I think it will take a few of the top players from some of the teams (Guys like Mueller (not the coaches though), but the one or two guns from each club would probably be replaced by 3 or 4 new guys trying their luck.

They should play the games on Friday nights so the guys from the local clubs can head down. Junior warm up matches pre game in front of semi-decent crowds too.

I think everyone will benefit (except Hawks who will have to do a lot of work to shift their junior program in particular).

I think it will also give non-AFL people a chance to get behind a team. A lot of Cairns people supported the Taipans without knowing much about basketball, just to get behind a Cairns team. Council could also be involved as they have been with the Taipans, they've already helped a bit with Cazalys and I know at least one of the Councillors would have an interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon there will be major AFL support for the NQ side tamba - they will want this side to work. The sides in Brisbane/GC will be asked to look after themselves a bit more I predict.
Secondly the anticipated costs are around the $600K mark - $200K salary cap + $300k for footy department incl physios, doctors, S&C coaches etc. Not sure of the extras attached to the running of a footy club after this but it stands to reason that NQ cannot continue to be a major strength at U16 and U18 level in State footy yet not have many of these kids filter thru due to logistics. Reckon it will be great for the local comp too as the side will only have 35 listed players meaning a handful flow back into the local comp anyway.
If it can be costed and worked then reckon Cairns (not T'ville which has also been proposed as a venue) will benefit immensely.

The Thunder spent 1.75 million in 2010.

http://www.territoryfc.com.au/filea...NLOADS/2010_Annual_Report_5.2.11_volume_5.pdf

Congratulations to the St Augustine's (Yr 8&9) AFL Team for winning the final of the GC Suns Cup. Super Coach Walshy looked more than happy in the team photo after the presentations and well done to the young Hawks player who was named BOG. ;)

it wasn't your young fellow was it Flintstone :eek:

anyway I applaud the side a huge win , and Walshy must have been grinning like a Cheshire Cat :thumbsu:

Wasn't far from the mark

I think Edmonton Leisure centre would be a great please to relocate to for anyone

Still like the idea Buchann Street, didn't think it was too small, thought it was full size. Ok will need netting around the northern boundary to stop it interfering with the traffic.

No other place around Cairns with enough dirt for another ground in around Manunda.

Will the league bite the bullet and let Hawks stay --- No --- not if the Cairns NEAFL side comes to fruition. Hawks already get moved around when the GC v Tigers match was here couldn't play at HQ for 6 week before so what will happen , No the league will and rightly so will want to keep the ground pristine and finally utilize their new change rooms to FULL extent to show case the oval for TV and southern sports who may want to come and use this area in the future.

This ground can and will eventually become Cairns show piece of sporting venues, the cricket has already raved about the oval. Trouble is also Cairns does not have a decent square field that is close to the action, Barlow is great BUT too far form the play. Teams are sitting on the running track not good for that. This is both close to the action and can accommodate the square field quite well except for the goal ends .

Kiss of death this week -
Saints
Port
Lions

Mmmnnnn interesting round ---- NOT

Souths v Saints ---Fretwell Park an interesting delmor , after Saints getting knock offed last week they will be out to prove themselves once more. I have said before they will not be beaten till the GF, but now :rolleyes: :confused: will go Souths in a fierce and very tight contest.

Hawks v Crocs at HQ unless Hawks fly in heaps from Darwin no way, Crocs to Pluck a Hawk.

Lions v Bulldogs at the Lions Den , Lions to Feast for the 3rd time this year.

it wasn't your young fellow was it Flintstone :eek:

anyway I applaud the side a huge win , and Walshy must have been grinning like a Cheshire Cat :thumbsu:

Yes, the Gary Ablett medal has been tucked away in a certain players bedroom and yes Walshy's smile was from ear to ear. I'd like to see his face if they won through to the national school titles. :D

Kiss of death for this week.

Hawks V Centrals - Hawks
Cutters V Lions - Cutters
Port V Norths - Norths

My kiss of death

Hawks v Centrals nice game here could be close but doubt it Hawks to run away in the 3rd Qtr

Cutters v Lions. At Fretwell Souths need to win or the season is gone they will be too strong at home

Port v Norths in beautiful Port Douglas no amount of crowd support will get them passed the Tigers, comfortable Tiger win here

Freezing my butt off in Adelaide watching 4 games this weekend with the highlight of nephew number 2 playing in Port Magpies League game against Central Districts tomorrow

Hawks having a rest this week (picking up the free 4 points) after a 96 point win in the seniors last week against Centrals. Centrals didn't have a good weekend against the Hawkies going down in the Seniors, Ressies, U14 Semi Final and the U12 Semi-final.

Centrals V Saints - Saints to win in the Wallaby terds.
Lions V Crocs - I don't think the Crocs will get a mauling out at the beach this week.
Norths V Cutters - I think the Tigers will give the Cutters a flogging playing at Watsons.

Hawks having a rest this week (picking up the free 4 points) after a 96 point win in the seniors last week against Centrals. Centrals didn't have a good weekend against the Hawkies going down in the Seniors, Ressies, U14 Semi Final and the U12 Semi-final.

Centrals V Saints - Saints to win in the Wallaby terds.
Lions V Crocs - I don't think the Crocs will get a mauling out at the beach this week.
Norths V Cutters - I think the Tigers will give the Cutters a flogging playing at Watsons.

Some more kisses of death

Saints to play havoc with this team at the worst football field in Australia

Crocs to win but Lions will be in it for awhile

Tigers will give Souths something to ponder, hopefully the score will be closer than most think

Some more kisses of death

Saints to play havoc with this team at the worst football field in Australia

Crocs to win but Lions will be in it for awhile

Tigers will give Souths something to ponder, hopefully the score will be closer than most think

Well Saints certainly played havoc at Wallaby Terd Park. Looks like 4th spot will be a two horse race and will come down to Round 21 at Fretwell Park.

Has the proposed NQ NEAFL side been squashed for 2014? They were not mentioned in the final 14 sides selected to compete. Can someone give any details why?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL CAIRNS - Season 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back