AFL Canberra Div 3, div 4 (Canb Dist) Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
careful longhaul, dont show too much excitement to early. good to see coota nearly got over undefeated goulburn. hawthorn hawks officially gone, bring on 2010. great to see the cats lose in another big game. seem to only lose the ones that count. was that mark better than leo barrys in gf. i think so. leo barry saved the swans yet, that other tall dude won the game for the saints, takes the pressure of the hawks as the only other team to beat geelong. woden looking like late finals contenders.

Fair spin of the wheel DJ, I would have thought beating the previously undefeated top side on their home ground when you're sitting 8th on the ladder would be something to get just a little bit excited about ;)

careful longhaul, dont show too much excitement to early. good to see coota nearly got over undefeated goulburn. hawthorn hawks officially gone, bring on 2010. great to see the cats lose in another big game. seem to only lose the ones that count. was that mark better than leo barrys in gf. i think so. leo barry saved the swans yet, that other tall dude won the game for the saints, takes the pressure of the hawks as the only other team to beat geelong. woden looking like late finals contenders.

I think getting over the undefeated side in such crap conditions of a footy field is a good effort.

More to the point I thought this was a discussion thread for Div 3 & 4 Football in Canberra and the rest of the board was for talking AFL.. no one but you gives a fat rats crack about the Hawks and big gut Buddy :p :D

What is Wodens run to the finals like?

Fair spin of the wheel DJ, I would have thought beating the previously undefeated top side on their home ground when you're sitting 8th on the ladder would be something to get just a little bit excited about ;)
that was a great effort, i was having a crack at longhaul because he rarely shows much emotion, but i could feel the excitement in his post. Had a look at 3s ladder to see if gungahlin could still make it, and it looks like the top four is far from settled. cant pick it but good luck to all trying to get their. div 4 looks a bit easie to pick, goulburn should finish top, then gungahlin will take second, due to an easier draw to finish belco third and yass or anu to take 4th. anu has an easier draw than us but we are one game clear, % could become a huge factor. looking forward to yass belco game this sunday

that was a great effort, i was having a crack at longhaul because he rarely shows much emotion, but i could feel the excitement in his post. Had a look at 3s ladder to see if gungahlin could still make it, and it looks like the top four is far from settled. cant pick it but good luck to all trying to get their. div 4 looks a bit easie to pick, goulburn should finish top, then gungahlin will take second, due to an easier draw to finish belco third and yass or anu to take 4th. anu has an easier draw than us but we are one game clear, % could become a huge factor. looking forward to yass belco game this sunday

Don't show any emotion because it is only an internet forum :thumbsu:
Was good to see a team knock off the undefeated :cool:

Don't Yass play Belco twice in the next few weeks?

Going to be an interesting run to the finals.

Don't show any emotion because it is only an internet forum :thumbsu:
Was good to see a team knock off the undefeated :cool:

Don't Yass play Belco twice in the next few weeks?

Going to be an interesting run to the finals.

Yep, Belco have Yass, ANU, Yass, Bye and Goulburn in the run home. About as tough a draw as you could get, but if we get to play finals then I guess we'll know we've deserved it. Especially if we can somehow win enough games to stay second.....will wait and see.

Pie25

Congrats on the 100 games for the Magpies. How can someone who has been playing for so long ONLY have played 100 games?

Match of the Round is Harman hosting ANU at Harman on Sunday - the victor will be in the box seat for the minor Premiership. Harman have not lost in over 2 months, whilst ANU were upset last weekend on a boggy pitch and will come out firing. Should be a cracker of a match...

The other big game in Cd1's is the Stirling Showdown, with Murrumbidgee at home to Woden. The victor locks in a place a game clear in the top 4, the loser is behind the 8 ball for the rest of the season.

Pie25

Congrats on the 100 games for the Magpies. How can someone who has been playing for so long ONLY have played 100 games?

Match of the Round is Harman hosting ANU at Harman on Sunday - the victor will be in the box seat for the minor Premiership. Harman have not lost in over 2 months, whilst ANU were upset last weekend on a boggy pitch and will come out firing. Should be a cracker of a match...

The other big game in Cd1's is the Stirling Showdown, with Murrumbidgee at home to Woden. The victor locks in a place a game clear in the top 4, the loser is behind the 8 ball for the rest of the season.

Hey GF,

Short answer - cos I'm rubbish :). They only pick me every 6 weeks hoping I'll go away but it hasn't happened yet.

Am at about 120 with Belco I think on top of about 130 with UCAN before they went belly up - still about a thousand behind you though ;)

Thanks though, it was a really enjoyable day on Sunday to celebrate the 100th game.

Great to see both Divisions still so exciting coming into the finals. Another great year for CD's.

Hey GF,

Short answer - cos I'm rubbish :). They only pick me every 6 weeks hoping I'll go away but it hasn't happened yet.

Am at about 120 with Belco I think on top of about 130 with UCAN before they went belly up - still about a thousand behind you though ;)

Thanks though, it was a really enjoyable day on Sunday to celebrate the 100th game.

Great to see both Divisions still so exciting coming into the finals. Another great year for CD's.

Oh, I'm sure there is a lot to be said for playing the same team every three weeks though.

Yep, Belco have Yass, ANU, Yass, Bye and Goulburn in the run home. About as tough a draw as you could get, but if we get to play finals then I guess we'll know we've deserved it. Especially if we can somehow win enough games to stay second.....will wait and see.

Definitely a tough run to the finals. Good luck with that :thumbsu:
I don't see you guys dropping out of finals.. unless you seem to really f**k it up and other teams produce miracles.
Staying in 2nd though is a big ask IMO.

yass play belco goulburn belco anu cooma. interesting when we play belco away, it wont be classed as home ground advantage for belco playing at kippax. I think it is the only time they play there during the year, whats the go with that

Is it time we had consulation finals ?
How can we keep teams like ainslie and tuggers in the thirds and cooma and bidgee in the fours interested in competing year after year when they are not givin anything.
Just like we reward the top four i think we should help out at the other end.
Ainslie and the hawks could easily go back to div 4 but choose not to noing full well that they are going to struggle they stick on and do there best.
While in div 4 and i mean no disrespect at all but the cats and the juggs are the 3rd and 4th bye respsectively in fact they play a huge part in determining the four in as much as only some of the top 5 teams get to play them twice.
Its just a thought but i think it would be good to see the bottom two play off even if it is for a spoon made of timber on finals day.
Thoughts anywon !!!!!!

S'cab

Ainslie and Tuggeranong are not permitted to drop back to 4's under league bylaws.

From around around 2000-2001, Tuggies played in 4's and won back to back premierships undefeated (they may have lost one game in that time, it was a long time ago)

It was a big drop from reserve grade to 4's, and they won the comps easy.

These days the Ainslie and Tuggies 3's are developmental sides. I heard Ainslie is contemplating a 4th next year as well.

As for Cooma, they have had a shocking run of injuries this year - and with Woden also having a shocking run for the first half of the year (and again now, but that's a different story), the players that have been able to filter back from the Blues to the Cats have not been as many and as experienced as they would have hoped.

S'cab

Ainslie and Tuggeranong are not permitted to drop back to 4's under league bylaws.

From around around 2000-2001, Tuggies played in 4's and won back to back premierships undefeated (they may have lost one game in that time, it was a long time ago)

It was a big drop from reserve grade to 4's, and they won the comps easy.

These days the Ainslie and Tuggies 3's are developmental sides. I heard Ainslie is contemplating a 4th next year as well.

As for Cooma, they have had a shocking run of injuries this year - and with Woden also having a shocking run for the first half of the year (and again now, but that's a different story), the players that have been able to filter back from the Blues to the Cats have not been as many and as experienced as they would have hoped.

You are spot on Ferret

We are bloody lucky we have a strong group of committed guys to our 3rd & 4th grades and they approach it very competetively.

Every time we play Tuggers or Ains they have 7 or 8 new faces playing , some who it is obvious have never played before. Which is great for the game.

It took us years and years to build the depth we have in 4 grades at Pies and I know Eastlake are only just seeing some results after moving the Kingston Wolves across to be their 3s & 4s in early 2000s.

Remember that Ainslie had a mass exodus of players that went to Gunghalin some years back which they havent recovered from even now.

With Tuggers recent form it seems that anyone who wants to seriously play at 3rds or 4ths level in the South/Valley heads to the Juggers or Woden ??? :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gf, Your info on ainslie entering a div 4 side is correct i have heard that the tri colours are about offer reserve grade contracts to no less than 5 of the yass roos squad .
There is also a rumor that the coach of the div 4 side could be an old coach of yours.

Is it time we had consulation finals ?
How can we keep teams like ainslie and tuggers in the thirds and cooma and bidgee in the fours interested in competing year after year when they are not givin anything.
Just like we reward the top four i think we should help out at the other end.
Ainslie and the hawks could easily go back to div 4 but choose not to noing full well that they are going to struggle they stick on and do there best.
While in div 4 and i mean no disrespect at all but the cats and the juggs are the 3rd and 4th bye respsectively in fact they play a huge part in determining the four in as much as only some of the top 5 teams get to play them twice.
Its just a thought but i think it would be good to see the bottom two play off even if it is for a spoon made of timber on finals day.
Thoughts anywon !!!!!!

Sorry but I disagree.

The reward for playing well is finals footy. Now it is up to the club to work on getting players, coaching staff and support staff working together to progress forward. Recruiting drives at shopping centres in the off season etc. I don't know what happens south side :p

If things have not changed for a few seasons and a side is always getting flogged then someting is a miss. Might be a coach, may not have what it takes to inspire a side. As an example. In all grades Tuggeranong are not fairing real well. Why is this? No cash to lure players? I am only asking as I don't know much about the club, it's staff, history etc.

I mean no disrespect to the lower clubs by any means. All of the teams in both divs have some talented players, who, at any chance could go to another club and get a spot no worries and play in sides who are generally successful year in and out. By successful I mean not getting pumped week in and out.

Now kudos to those players for staying with the club and playing, I know I have been there as have plenty of others.

However I think giving them something just for turning up offers no incentive and honestly if I was at a club and the League offered up something I would be offended. "Thanks for turning up again this yr here is a token of our appreciation"

Would you really want to play on the day of a GF as the bottom side?

The only thing they get given is the spoon. Happens at the top level why change it for grass roots footy?

Just my input. Happy for anyone to provide some clarification on my points as I don't know the CD history real well.

Cheers

Gf, Your info on ainslie entering a div 4 side is correct i have heard that the tri colours are about offer reserve grade contracts to no less than 5 of the yass roos squad .
There is also a rumor that the coach of the div 4 side could be an old coach of yours.

I can't think of 5 Yass people I would offer a contract to :p

Who are they looking at? Sero would be 1st guess.

Ando, Brown, Poido, ?? & ???

Sorry with the jokes seriously who are they looking at?

Longhaul

I'm not the best placed to comment on Tuggeranong, but as an outsider I know enough.

Tuggeranong do not have a dedicated club like Ainslie, Easlake, Belco and Queanbeyan. Thus, their budget is nowhere near the big 4 clubs, and thus they have always struggled

They have always had a ton of juniors and young talent, but many of these end up get poached or end up exploring opportunities interstate.

If memory serves me right, Justin Blumfield and Aaron Hamill were both Tuggeranong juniors. Others in AFLCanberra include Stafford Cooper, Dale Argall off the top of my head.

Their current firsts team has something like 12 teenagers playing - small bodies that generally get dominated by the big boys.

Oooooooh, could that be a big man from the kitchen?

Heywood

Can you give a quick wrap of the Jets win over ANU in both grades? Get a few back or just getting it together?

Are ADFA actually forfeiting - is this confirmed?

With southcab throwing forward an idea, I thought I might see what people think of this idea as a representative fixture.

What would people think off having a Div 4 - City vs Country game.

City - All Canberra teams
Country - Cooma, Coota, Goulburn, Yass
It could even be NSW v ACT???

The best players from each club in each area would be picked.

I know clubs wouldn't want injuries or anything but just an idea.

Thoughts anyone?

Heywood

Can you give a quick wrap of the Jets win over ANU in both grades? Get a few back or just getting it together?

Are ADFA actually forfeiting - is this confirmed?

Growler, the Div 3 upset was probably a combination of an extra atrocious playing surface, the home side being a little complacent and due for a loss, and the Jets realising that the season was just about shot. Didn't have a lot to do with personnel. In Div 4 I guess Shanefos has a bit of a case with the scoring shots 17-15 in favour of ANU, but the Jets seemed to control the match for most of the day. Both games were pretty hard slogs.

With southcab throwing forward an idea, I thought I might see what people think of this idea as a representative fixture.

What would people think off having a Div 4 - City vs Country game.

City - All Canberra teams
Country - Cooma, Coota, Goulburn, Yass
It could even be NSW v ACT???

The best players from each club in each area would be picked.

I know clubs wouldn't want injuries or anything but just an idea.

Thoughts anyone?

Hey Swan,

Sounds like a good idea. I am a big fan of rep footy, and it would give Div 4 blokes a chance to play at rep level as most Div 4 players would not make the Canberra District rep team. The chicks did a North v South game this year to help select the rep team and from all reports it went well. (For the record a Div 3 North side would smash a Div 3 South side!!!). A general bye is a must during the year (are you reading this Rusty???) and what about a split round AFL style and have it so that teams like ANU get a bye during uni break, and ADFA get a bye during one of their camp things?

Southcab, I disagree with your comments. If my team finished last or second last I would be too embarrassed to play off for a wooden spoon, and doubt the teams would actually turn up to humiliate themselves. Footy results are generally cyclic, everyone has their turn at the top (almost) and bottom. The more teams the merrier I say, it means that you have more people playing Aussie Rules, and that is what it is all about, especially at our level. And we dont want a league like 1s and 2s where you play each other 10 times a year. I also agree with BelcoBlueBoy and welcome any new player to footy. Teams at the bottom need to work harder, end of story.

Good discussion points lads:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back