AFL Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey wonky you need to go back and read the post in its context i never got stuck into your captain at all ,and as for shooting my mouth off again please direct me to this.
As for backing up comments re the piss im on a hiding to nothing in this one, perhaps you should ask some of your fellow mates and see if they have the balls to tell the truth i would start with the underwoods and end at all bar nun.
By the way wonky everybody knows who i am, care to inform who you are ?

Not a clue?? PM me if you like!

Not a clue?? PM me if you like!

Southcab i have no idea who you are either and i dont get on this site enough care who you are. All i know is that if you are going to make statements like Belco boys are on the pi$$ then probably having some info to back it up would be good.

With regards to a bit high comments are you applying for the job like you did last time? sounds like your angling that way?

With regards to a bit high comments are you applying for the job like you did last time? sounds like your angling that way?

No Wonky i wont be applying.

Last time I was not very happy with the then employer and was keen to move on.

I am very happy where I currently am.

I will actually not be very involved in footy at all next season.

No Wonky i wont be applying.

Last time I was not very happy with the then employer and was keen to move on.

I am very happy where I currently am.

I will actually not be very involved in footy at all next season.

wht happened last time? also whats going on next year? dont use family as an excuse we get it enough from our politicians?

wht happened last time? also whats going on next year? dont use family as an excuse we get it enough from our politicians?

What do you mean what happened last time?? I applied, didn't get the job. David Wark was by far the better candidate, enuf said.

What's going on next year?? Next year is a different matter. I have been involved in AFL for 30 years and for 15 years I have dedicated it to Qbn and now I have a 24 week old son its time to spend time at home. It means alot to me as I have passed up a few offers already. I need to know if I am ready to leave the game yet and now is as good a time as any. No excuses just reality.

What do you mean what happened last time?? I applied, didn't get the job. David Wark was by far the better candidate, enuf said.

What's going on next year?? Next year is a different matter. I have been involved in AFL for 30 years and for 15 years I have dedicated it to Qbn and now I have a 24 week old son its time to spend time at home. It means alot to me as I have passed up a few offers already. I need to know if I am ready to leave the game yet and now is as good a time as any. No excuses just reality.

Good luck with that ABH while child birth is a better incentive than most the lure of the leather gets in your blood .Stay away from deep heat mate it will surely help your cause.:thumbsu:

Good luck with that ABH while child birth is a better incentive than most the lure of the leather gets in your blood .Stay away from deep heat mate it will surely help your cause.:thumbsu:

Yeh Cheers SC. I will get my footy fix every week while commentating on QBNFM 96.7. I just wont feel the bumps or the cold June/July training nights:D

Hello Gents (and Lady's???)

Just to let you know what is happening around the traps, the Hume League had their GF on the weekend with a gate of over $31,000 at Walbundrie on the same day and only 100km away at Narrendera, the RFL league had theirs with over $35,000 through the gate and the Rugby league had theirs as well with over $25,000 at Cootamundra. All of these places are with in 1 hour of Wagga the largest centre (50,000 people), I think this shows how poor the following in Canberra is.
The Wagga Daily Advertiser also ran great coverage of all games with at least full page speards of all games before the weekend and Full page spraeds of the results (you can google them and look for yourself). It's all well and good for clubs to supply info, but the DA shows what can happen when reporters are not lazy and do their jobs and report.
too true, i get the daily advertiser every monday, it is true that the papers do what they want, for example the yass tribune had one article on grand final week about yass roos (and one of our players is the sports reporter) and after we won it there was a photo and article on back page and exactly the same photo on the front page, of the 3000 odd photos taken they had to repeat the same one and a few photos of the crowd, big whoop, should of had at least photos of whos playing and best wishes by businesses and so forth, im pretty sure they had that when the leagies were in gf few years ago, the editor at tribune is a bit weird, then last week i was reading the cootamundra herald and their under 16 team was in leaugue grand final and full double page spread with photo of each player and a bit about them, as well as full back page, i would have to rate the yass tribune as the worst country newspaper going around, just goes to show that some papers can do it and all should, by the way i havent heard any mentions of my little input to the actafl, i did the balls and all aussie rules report each week, and i rang and sugested it only cos i love footy, umpiring next year so someone should ring 104.7 and ask kiwi g for the job next year, its good fun. go the hawks

Hey gents,

I dont know how many of you fellas saw (or want to see) the footage from the game, but I grabbed myself a copy of the channelvision coverage and its great to watch the game, see it from a different point of view and al that jazz.

I recommend it, anyways!!

Hi everyone,

i usually just browse through this page and have a look, but ive decided to get involved.

i've been reading your posts re. media in AFL canberra. I was able to find this on the afl canberra webpage http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_...task=DETAIL&articleID=5450596&sectionID=55231

this gives a breakdown of what each persons role is that works for AFL canberra- there is someone that looks after media and communication.

I am also dissapointed that AFL canberra doesn't get the coverage that it should. 3 or 4 seasons ago the canberra times had great coverage of the league.

IMO the league doesn't promote itself well enough. They've got all the tools they need - Great facilities, traditional clubs with long standing rivalries, good junior numbers, an actual AFL reserves team and some great players running around with a good standard of footy being played. Surely it is the strongest competition in NSW/ACT, and possibly the strongest 'country' league in Australia? I think something needs to be done, even if it is just a page in the sports section of the canberra times and some coverage on TV every now and again. this isn't really my area of expertise so I don't have many answers :confused: but a good relationship with the canberra times and a local TV news program could be a good start, and then heavily promote the competition to the junior grades and schools to try and get them involved (free tickets if need be!). Hype builds hype.

Hi everyone,

i usually just browse through this page and have a look, but ive decided to get involved.

i've been reading your posts re. media in AFL canberra. I was able to find this on the afl canberra webpage http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_...task=DETAIL&articleID=5450596&sectionID=55231

this gives a breakdown of what each persons role is that works for AFL canberra- there is someone that looks after media and communication.

I am also dissapointed that AFL canberra doesn't get the coverage that it should. 3 or 4 seasons ago the canberra times had great coverage of the league.

IMO the league doesn't promote itself well enough. They've got all the tools they need - Great facilities, traditional clubs with long standing rivalries, good junior numbers, an actual AFL reserves team and some great players running around with a good standard of footy being played. Surely it is the strongest competition in NSW/ACT, and possibly the strongest 'country' league in Australia? I think something needs to be done, even if it is just a page in the sports section of the canberra times and some coverage on TV every now and again. this isn't really my area of expertise so I don't have many answers :confused: but a good relationship with the canberra times and a local TV news program could be a good start, and then heavily promote the competition to the junior grades and schools to try and get them involved (free tickets if need be!). Hype builds hype.

Spot on ef.. Footy in act has everything.. except supporters.. but there are genuine footy fans in canberra they just need some incentive to get out, have a look and support.. Better promotion would definately help.. i reckon i bought the canberra times twice this year but if they had a page dedicated to canb footy on a friday say with write up, teams ect i would def buy it more often.. I know country towns with less thn 4000 people that have better write ups in the paper. its also up to the individual clubs to promote themselves and the league.. I know ainslie is getting better at it hence we had more supporters this year.. Clubs somehow need to make people feel they are apart of that footy club and not take them for granted - especially the juniors.. queynbo seem to do this really well.. I know that one thing that recruits and even locals are dissapointed about are playing in front of nearly noone.. Some players go fom playing in front of hundreds and even thousands of people each game in the sanfl, vfl, o&m ect to playing in front of a few supporters.. It is definately the most dissapointing thing about our league

Some players go fom playing in front of hundreds and even thousands of people each game in the sanfl, vfl, o&m ect to playing in front of a few supporters.. It is definately the most dissapointing thing about our league

They dont mind holding there hands out at years end but!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on ef.. Footy in act has everything.. except supporters.. but there are genuine footy fans in canberra they just need some incentive to get out, have a look and support.. Better promotion would definately help.. i reckon i bought the canberra times twice this year but if they had a page dedicated to canb footy on a friday say with write up, teams ect i would def buy it more often.. I know country towns with less thn 4000 people that have better write ups in the paper. its also up to the individual clubs to promote themselves and the league.. I know ainslie is getting better at it hence we had more supporters this year.. Clubs somehow need to make people feel they are apart of that footy club and not take them for granted - especially the juniors.. queynbo seem to do this really well.. I know that one thing that recruits and even locals are dissapointed about are playing in front of nearly noone.. Some players go fom playing in front of hundreds and even thousands of people each game in the sanfl, vfl, o&m ect to playing in front of a few supporters.. It is definately the most dissapointing thing about our league

Having low crowd numbers would definitely impact on recruiting quality players. I hope that the new GM of AFL canberra puts a lot more resources into promoting the league, just to raise the profile of the competition in the football world. I wouldnt imagine too many people outside of Canberra would have a high opinion of the league, which doesn't reflect on the standard of footy in the ACT. Realistically, with the money, facilities and having the swans in the league, AFL canberra should/could be at around the same level of AFLQ- which would put the league in the top 7 or 8 leagues in Australia. With good promotion you can attract better players and higher crowd numbers which would have a flow on effect. Thats what I'd like to see anyway.

They dont mind holding there hands out at years end but!!

yeah fair call!! But i would like to think if canberra football was seen as having a good supporter base and canberra as a whole being a bigger football community which means having write ups in papers, ads, t.v reports ect that recruits would come here for less as they see the place as a genuine football city not just a bunch of clubs that are cashed up and willing to spend many $$$ which at the moment is the main incentive clubs give..

Having low crowd numbers would definitely impact on recruiting quality players.

A fair bit of quality running around the league this year and previous.

Names like Anderson, Kennedy, Larkin, Seecamp, Watts, Aziz, Heaver, Laidley, Shanahan, Langan, Clarke, Andriske, Jaques brothers, Underwood brothers, Cannon brothers, Powell, Rogers, Armstrong, Gilberts brothers, Chilcott, Honey brothers, Dipeta, Hazelman, Maher and many more .

My point is that quality players do play and have played here.

No doubt there has been and still is lots of quality playing in the competition, and they will continue to come to canberra, I wasn't knocking the quality of recruits at all, but myabe more could be attracted. If you were a quality player and you had to choose between playing in front of maybe <300 people most weekends v's 1000+ most weekends where would you choose to go? Then it comes down to the $. So, say i was a young fella, just been delisted, and i get approached by a WAFL or SANFL club or even an O&M club that says they get an average of 1,500 through the gates and maybe some night games that attract more, plus finals with large crowds. Then I get approached by and AFL canberra club that says 'gee, we only get about 300 most games and maybe 2000 to the grand final'. Apart from $ (assuming that the $ is much better in canberra) what is going to get me excited about canberra footy? Playing against the swans is a good drawcard, but playing in front of big crowds where people actually care if you win or lose compared to playing in front of the 2's, the board of the club and your girlfriend would be a major factor IMO.

No doubt there has been and still is lots of quality playing in the competition, and they will continue to come to canberra, I wasn't knocking the quality of recruits at all, but myabe more could be attracted. If you were a quality player and you had to choose between playing in front of maybe <300 people most weekends v's 1000+ most weekends where would you choose to go? Then it comes down to the $. So, say i was a young fella, just been delisted, and i get approached by a WAFL or SANFL club or even an O&M club that says they get an average of 1,500 through the gates and maybe some night games that attract more, plus finals with large crowds. Then I get approached by and AFL canberra club that says 'gee, we only get about 300 most games and maybe 2000 to the grand final'. Apart from $ (assuming that the $ is much better in canberra) what is going to get me excited about canberra footy? Playing against the swans is a good drawcard, but playing in front of big crowds where people actually care if you win or lose compared to playing in front of the 2's, the board of the club and your girlfriend would be a major factor IMO.

Maybe clubs dont reveal the facts about the crowds as they know it might have a negative influence on the players decision. I can tell you from personal experience the numbers that I was quoted 15 years ago by a certain football manager before I signed may have been fact in years gone by but not when I began playing in the competition in 1994.....Its what they refer to a "white lie", its not the trith but it doesn't hurt anyone.

I have never heard of a player asking how many will i be playing infront off.No body i know is at all concerned for reasons other than the dollars .
$$ If you think that they come here for any other reason you are kidding yourself.
I agree that more needs to be done to promote the game but i think you's are way of course with this line of thinking.

I have never heard of a player asking how many will i be playing infront off.No body i know is at all concerned for reasons other than the dollars .
$$ If you think that they come here for any other reason you are kidding yourself.
I agree that more needs to be done to promote the game but i think you's are way of course with this line of thinking.

Well you just have my friend.

When I was contacted by the Tigers at Xmas 93 I didnt even know they played football in Canberra so I asked the question. "Whats the support like for AFL in Canberra".

I'm sure many recruits who come from AFL states would be interested in what the support is like for the code. Surely there are more boxes to tick than the cash box??? As stated several times on this forum I actually came to Canberra for less money than I was offered in SA. Other reasons drew me to Canberra. It wasn't cash and obviously it wasn't crowds:D

Well you just have my friend.

When I was contacted by the Tigers at Xmas 93 I didnt even know they played football in Canberra so I asked the question. "Whats the support like for AFL in Canberra".

I'm sure many recruits who come from AFL states would be interested in what the support is like for the code. Surely there are more boxes to tick than the cash box??? As stated several times on this forum I actually came to Canberra for less money than I was offered in SA. Other reasons drew me to Canberra. It wasn't cash and obviously it wasn't crowds:D
ABH I applaud your decision to come play for the tigers for reasons other then the cash i have to think though there must be a bit of show pony in you:p (no malice intended in that statement) When you first arrived what did you think of the support was it what you expected ? Was it lack of support that enticed you into asking the tigs for the pay rise the year you kicked 90 odd.:D
In your time at the tigs how many of the one's actaully mingled with the supporters ? i know in my time we never did unless they were single sheilas of course :thumbsu: then they were able to attract all our attention there was at that stage a fair few female supporters i might add.

Possibly because the ones that do care aren't playing in AFL canberra? They are probably playing in leagues that do attract crowds.

Anyone making a genuine decision and not looking to load up on $$$ would take it into consideration. Appart from the $$$ what makes playing in canberra attractive?

Bigger support would...?

Possibly because the ones that do care aren't playing in AFL canberra? They are probably playing in leagues that do attract crowds.

Anyone making a genuine decision and not looking to load up on $$$ would take it into consideration. Appart from the $$$ what makes playing in canberra attractive?

Bigger support would...?

Yeah bloudy oath it would.. Not only would it attract more good footy players here, it would also keep a lot more for longer periods of time.. How often do you see a recruit come for 1 or 2 years and head off somewhere else, usually back 2 where they are from.. If there was a more supporter base and comradery in each club i think you'd see recruits enjoy there time a lot more, therefore play many more games for there respective club.. Getting recruits is the easy part.. getting them to stay is harder

It is rumoured here in Mildura that Brett Knowles will be coaching a local side (Mildura) How does he go??
Did he get the sack from his last coaching job?

ABH I applaud your decision to come play for the tigers for reasons other then the cash i have to think though there must be a bit of show pony in you:p (no malice intended in that statement) When you first arrived what did you think of the support was it what you expected ? Was it lack of support that enticed you into asking the tigs for the pay rise the year you kicked 90 odd.:D
In your time at the tigs how many of the one's actaully mingled with the supporters ? i know in my time we never did unless they were single sheilas of course :thumbsu: then they were able to attract all our attention there was at that stage a fair few female supporters i might add.

No offence taken but I believe any full forward who backs his own ability has a bit of show pony about them. Its what makes them dangerous.

To answer your questions let me say that the crowds I was quoted was not what was at games.....far from it. Did I care...I am still here!

The lack of support was not the reason I asked for a pay rise. I think I have covered this but I will say it straight. I kicked 100+ goals in my first year after missing 8 games through injury and thought my year warranted an increase. I asked for an extra $50 per game. In 1998 my work took me back to Adelaide and the club was kind enough to fly me back and forth to continue playing so to assist I took a $100 a game pay cut. That year I kicked the 90 odd you refer too, played in a premiership and took out the Jezza on GF day. I then asked for another pay increase after that season. The only 2 seasons ever in my 11 year 1st grade career I thought I had the right to at least pose the question. I only asked if i felt it was deserved.

As far as the Tigers and their supporters go?? It has been mentioned many times that the Tigers is a family club and I can honestly say without hesitation that most players, new or old, would know and talk to most of the supporters. Before games, after games, at the club. Its that sort of place. Everyone is an equal at the club and no-one gets better treatment regardless of the role that they play.

A truely special place to be involved with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back