AFL Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I said that stuff was because we were not actually accepted into the league untill late feb leaving us little or no time to sign players. Plus AFL Canberra stated they wanted us in the comp so they would wipe the Weston Creek Lions debt and we would start a fresh. They then decided to through that money at Wagga coz they were going bad and then AFL C themselves decided to keep the money. Pretty tough going. I mean we had been training since mid November without even knowing if we would be playing and that was with regular turnouts of around 30-35 players.

The Actafl, and the AFL have a responsibily to assist all the clubs in particular those who do not have the backing of liscened clubs. If the competition is to survive then they should ensure that that clubs who dont have the financial resources get some assistance. The league should be looking to solidify the competion. It would be extremely doubtful that any other teams from outside canberra will come an join after Campblelltown and Wagga's experiences. So they have to build on what they have to ensure it's survival. The swans involvement is both good and bad. It is good to give the locals a chance at playing at a higher level, but it is bad because the Actafl teams are really playing for second position. The forseeable result will be that Sydney win every year, which will ultimaley demoralise the local clubs. Unless they move on or they only play up until the finals and then withdraw there is little opportunity for the local clubs to win a premiership in this comp again. Not an easy answer I know, but the Actafl and the AFL need to ensure that this comp and all comps remain competitive and continue to foster the talent.

The Actafl, and the AFL have a responsibily to assist all the clubs in particular those who do not have the backing of liscened clubs. If the competition is to survive then they should ensure that that clubs who dont have the financial resources get some assistance. The league should be looking to solidify the competion. It would be extremely doubtful that any other teams from outside canberra will come an join after Campblelltown and Wagga's experiences. So they have to build on what they have to ensure it's survival. The swans involvement is both good and bad. It is good to give the locals a chance at playing at a higher level, but it is bad because the Actafl teams are really playing for second position. The forseeable result will be that Sydney win every year, which will ultimaley demoralise the local clubs. Unless they move on or they only play up until the finals and then withdraw there is little opportunity for the local clubs to win a premiership in this comp again. Not an easy answer I know, but the Actafl and the AFL need to ensure that this comp and all comps remain competitive and continue to foster the talent.

The two Clubs who do not currently have licensed clubs (Tuggers and Weston) - once had them. They stuffed up. They also received support from the League and other licensed clubs to assist them innitially build what they have now lost through mismanagement. They have also received relief from payment of affiliation fees in the past with Tuggers disbanding and reforming twice to allieviate itself from debt. The question has to be asked how many times do these clubs receive asistance before the ACTAFL say - no more. In terms of the Swans winning every year - what happened in the first two years. They finished thrid on both ocassions. Give it time, they will fall over. :cool:

You idiot - how quickly people forget. Yeah the Swans made made the finals in 2003 & 2004 but they did get knocked out. It's only been 05 and 06 where they have been dominant. But look at their seniors - how good have they been? Of course the reserves will have a good list.

They will drop off this year - with the quality of footballers in the ACT at the moment, the swnas will be beaten very shortly. AFL Canberra Clubs are not playing for second place. And anyone who thinks so is kidding themselves. There is no Club in existence that actually sets out each year to come second. Sydney will go very well this year but they wont win it. The swans in our comp is nothing but good news. i hope they stay for a long time.

You idiot - how quickly people forget. Yeah the Swans made made the finals in 2003 & 2004 but they did get knocked out. It's only been 05 and 06 where they have been dominant. But look at their seniors - how good have they been? Of course the reserves will have a good list.

They will drop off this year - with the quality of footballers in the ACT at the moment, the swnas will be beaten very shortly. AFL Canberra Clubs are not playing for second place. And anyone who thinks so is kidding themselves. There is no Club in existence that actually sets out each year to come second. Sydney will go very well this year but they wont win it. The swans in our comp is nothing but good news. i hope they stay for a long time.

How many games have the swans lost in the last two years? Queanbeyan are the only team capable of beating the swans this year, and if you look at it, the swans are only going to get stronger with first grade players returning from injury.

In their first two years the swans grabbed whoever they could find from the local U/18's comp to make up their numbers. In the last two years the swans have added the best players from the RAMS each week to top up their list, some of which have gone on to fill rookie positions on the swans seniors list the next year.

Strangely enough, since the swans have been using RAMS players (all of which would slot in to any AFL Canberra first grade side) they have hardly (if at all) lost a game. The swans reserves in the competition is great, however it is Full time professional footballers VS Part time amateurs.

And for the record, i would be very surprised if any team came within 6 goals of the Swans reserves this year, except maybe QBN. Maybe

Queanbeyan v's Ainslie this week you beauty game on. Shame i have to play myself elsewhere should be a cracker. Back to the rivalry of mid 80's and 90's i hope.

Queanbeyan v's Ainslie this week you beauty game on. Shame i have to play myself elsewhere should be a cracker. Back to the rivalry of mid 80's and 90's i hope.

You damn straight. Can't wait for this one. Make sure you get out to Queanbeyan if you can, cause there wil be fireworks everywhere!

I'm tipping Queanbeyan, but i reckon there will be a few reports as well??!!:mad:

Should be a cracker, the way footy should be played. Hard straight at it stuff!! Expect a bigger crowd than normal and plenty of fire in the bellies of players and supporters alike....Lets just hope that unlike the 90's the umpires are hardly noticed!!!

You damn straight. Can't wait for this one. Make sure you get out to Queanbeyan if you can, cause there wil be fireworks everywhere!

I'm tipping Queanbeyan, but i reckon there will be a few reports as well??!!:mad:

Ainslie are gone...Cant make the finals, there firsts are poo and their two's are worse than poo!! Any injury to a first grader will mean a spaz playing at the top level. Qbn smashed them all over the park and when you consider it was Qbn's first hit out for 3 weeks the score actually flattered the tri - hards. Their full back who had 11 goals kicked on him got their best player....Lets reward mediocracy!! How the mighty have fallen.. Oh yeh only 3 reports for the day!!
Belco V Qbn should be a beauty...This will test how far Qbn are and then they play the Swans...So for all you who think Qbn can win the comp the next 2 weeks will provide some answers!

Ainslie are gone...Cant make the finals, there firsts are poo and their two's are worse than poo!! Any injury to a first grader will mean a spaz playing at the top level. Qbn smashed them all over the park and when you consider it was Qbn's first hit out for 3 weeks the score actually flattered the tri - hards. Their full back who had 11 goals kicked on him got their best player....Lets reward mediocracy!! How the mighty have fallen.. Oh yeh only 3 reports for the day!!
Belco V Qbn should be a beauty...This will test how far Qbn are and then they play the Swans...So for all you who think Qbn can win the comp the next 2 weeks will provide some answers!
Who got reported. Will be interesting this week i think Queanbeyan haven't beaten Belconnen while Armstrong has been coach (could be wrong) Big opportunity this week you'd think.

Who got reported. Will be interesting this week i think Queanbeyan haven't beaten Belconnen while Armstrong has been coach (could be wrong) Big opportunity this week you'd think.

Not sure who but Qbn x 1, Ainslie x 2 (B.Neely definate)

Qbn have not beaten Belco since their premiership year of 2000 so they will be pumped up for a battle you would expect

Not sure who but Qbn x 1, Ainslie x 2 (B.Neely definate)

Qbn have not beaten Belco since their premiership year of 2000 so they will be pumped up for a battle you would expect
Yeah thought that was the case. I tell you knowing Merv it would be a big Monkey or should i say Gorilla on his back hope he can shake it this week. Carn the Tigers

Yeah thought that was the case. I tell you knowing Merv it would be a big Monkey or should i say Gorilla on his back hope he can shake it this week. Carn the Tigers

Pity this game is at Jamison Oval. Poor facilites for players and spectators. Another blot on AFL Canberra by scheduling this match at that ground. If Manuka is available the game should be played there, not at a now designated Rugby ground. :cool: Magpies apparently rested a number of players against Wildcats last week in preperation for Tigers clash.

Pity this game is at Jamison Oval. Poor facilites for players and spectators. Another blot on AFL Canberra by scheduling this match at that ground. If Manuka is available the game should be played there, not at a now designated Rugby ground. :cool: Magpies apparently rested a number of players against Wildcats last week in preperation for Tigers clash.
Thats one of the things that sh#ts me about Belconnen they have a truck load of money moving through the club yet they won't spend any on getting themselves a decent home base where they can play and train. I think the players would feel the same. Do they still train at Kippax

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats one of the things that sh#ts me about Belconnen they have a truck load of money moving through the club yet they won't spend any on getting themselves a decent home base where they can play and train. I think the players would feel the same. Do they still train at Kippax

Think they do. :cool: How come Queanbeyan have such a nice ground - arnt they still called struggle town ! They only have a small club. Magpies have two I think - one in Kippax and a golf club.

West Belconnen own the lease at Kippax. There has been a plan round since Moses was a child to turn the Kippax fields into a homebase of sorts. But they firstly have to get the lease signed over to them then the planning permission to do what they want. West Belconnen are pretty cut that Ginninderra walked from them over to Magpies so they are not really in the mood to be bargaining at the moment! Long term project.

As an aside though, Jamison is in alright nick at the moment though - provided we dont' get any rain between now and the weekend it will be a good spectacle. James Bennett and Steve Mahar both took a rest last week to get over some niggles. Should be fresh and firing.

Think they do. :cool: How come Queanbeyan have such a nice ground - arnt they still called struggle town ! They only have a small club. Magpies have two I think - one in Kippax and a golf club.
I think the days of being called struggletown have past. Queanbeyan's ground is still a council ground they pay a lease on it. All the extra work to the surrounds and facilities have all been funded by the football club. The actual surface is looked after be council. Full credit to chook and the guys on the board at Queanbeyan for producing a really good advertisment for the club. Makes it more of a homely feel when you play train and practically live at your home ground. There is definatley a home ground advantage. Ainslie would be the only other club that plays where they train would that be correct.

Yeah mahar and Bennet were the only notable absenties from the team on the weekend. So not a bad effort by the wildcats in pretty much drawing the second half 11 goals to 12. Cam Illet killed us through the middle along with scoot. On what I have seen QBN by about 5-8 goals.

Yeah mahar and Bennet were the only notable absenties from the team on the weekend. So not a bad effort by the wildcats in pretty much drawing the second half 11 goals to 12. Cam Illet killed us through the middle along with scoot. On what I have seen QBN by about 5-8 goals.
Thats not too bad by you guys. But don't fall into the trap of which many clubs do when there in your situation and accept mediocrity. Take the close enough isn't good enough approach and you guys will see a vast improvement. Believe me i'm speaking from experience but good luck to you guys in all honesty i hope to see you guys really improve.:thumbsu:

Nah coach still wasnt that happy with the performance but accepted it was a step in the right direction. Half a game isnt good enough especially in this competition

All 3 players from the Qbn/Ainslie clash got off, meaning a full list for the Tigers game against the Maggies. Should be fierce as they hate each other from a rivalry which started in 98.
The Tigers record at Manuka isnt flash against the Magpies so Jamison may be a happier hunting ground...... Oh how they must miss Football Park!!

All 3 players from the Qbn/Ainslie clash got off, meaning a full list for the Tigers game against the Maggies. Should be fierce as they hate each other from a rivalry which started in 98.
The Tigers record at Manuka isnt flash against the Magpies so Jamison may be a happier hunting ground...... Oh how they must miss Football Park!!

Not quite at full strength - think Jon Ellis still injured, along with one of the Dickinson brothers - new recriut cavendon should also still be out from first round match.
What about Belco, any injuries there ?

Not quite at full strength - think Jon Ellis still injured, along with one of the Dickinson brothers - new recriut cavendon should also still be out from first round match.
What about Belco, any injuries there ?

Your right, I actually meant a full list from the Ainslie squad. They are missing John Elias, Todd Dickinson, Chris Davis, Matt Cavenden and Trent Balding.

Not sure about Belco, if they rested a few they may be full strength.

Can anyone fill me in on the difference in standard between the AFL Canberra Premier Division Seniors and AFL Canberra 1st Division? And if anyone knows, how it compares to footy in Adelaide i.e. SANFL Reserves, Div 1 Amatuers.

Cheers :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back