AFL Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tell you what is interesting is that I am not the only one who mentioned that complacency may have crept in yet you only have a crack at my post and also the fact that you never took me up on my offer to come up to me GF day and greet me face to face....Says plenty mate

1st of all i wasnt just having a crack at just your post i was at everyones your post just happend to be the one that i quoted.

Secondly i was thinking about coming up to you after the 2s game but seeing as how im only 18 and was very intoxicated i did not think there was much point seeing as how you probably would not of taken me very seriously.

Secondly i was thinking about coming up to you after the 2s game but seeing as how im only 18 and was very intoxicated i did not think there was much point seeing as how you probably would not of taken me very seriously.

Easily the most sensible thing you have ever posted:thumbsu:

I am not having a go a direct go at Wark, from all reports he did a bang up job - but hopefully someone can come in with a fresh vision and do something miraculous to get the Canberrian public enthused and reinvigorate the competition! The league Granny doesn't seem like it is promoted very well which doesn't help when the local media gives half arsed reports on the game throughout the year.

Out of curiosity, were there any other footy codes or events on the same day?

Agree that the football could be promoted better. Clubs need to work with the league and put more pressure on media outlets like the Canberra Times. Maybe it is time for a think tank to work out ways we can all contribute to improving the image and support for this competition and the game in general. The standard is good as is the quality of player, yet we dont even rate a mention on Mondays with the national papers (winners and losers) or contribute to Inside Football in the regional section. Self promotion is the only way for it to improve. No one is going to do it for us.
Any thoughts

Easily the most sensible thing you have ever posted:thumbsu:

I wouldn't pay too much attention to his posts ABH. He came onto the Districts forum and gave it to the Jets for taking the Cup off Belconnen in the thirds Grand Final!! He then dribbled some shit about being a 2's player and how his team would smash a thirds team by 100 points. Having read his previous post it sounds like he's just full of it.

For info, just over 2500 paying spectators attended according to my source.

Someone asked about other events on the same day - considering it was bucketing down for parts of the day, windy and pretty cold, it wasn't a bad crowd.

There was also the Canberra Times fun run in the morning, a Junior rugby 7's carnival with over 100 teams competing, Floriade and the opening of DFO which would have had tens of thousands on a 'shopping weather' kind of day.

What else could have been done to promote it, knowing that the Canberra Times was going to be Raiders focussed? If the Chronicle wasn't such of a joke of a paper and had more than a page of sport, AFL in Canberra should be able to generate enough copy for a 1/4 page column each week.

But who would put their hand up and write it?

Someone asked about other events on the same day - considering it was bucketing down for parts of the day, windy and pretty cold, it wasn't a bad crowd.

There was also the Canberra Times fun run in the morning, a Junior rugby 7's carnival with over 100 teams competing, Floriade and the opening of DFO which would have had tens of thousands on a 'shopping weather' kind of day.

What else could have been done to promote it, knowing that the Canberra Times was going to be Raiders focussed? If the Chronicle wasn't such of a joke of a paper and had more than a page of sport, AFL in Canberra should be able to generate enough copy for a 1/4 page column each week.

Surely there would be someone at the league that handles media releases as part of their job responsibilities. It isnt just the local paper, this comp needs to be promoted through results in the herald sun every Monday and an article section in inside football each week. Having the Swans involved should give us a better chance to promote the league a lot stronger than we currently do. Any funding for promotion should be made available through AFL development for the region.

What about that discraceful half time rubbish? Surely they cant be serious. The concept of having half time sprints is well proven at AFL level and it is properly contested and organised. What was put on on Sunday was an absolute joke and an insult to the specatators. Better events are put on in primary schools. If you are going to do something to fill the time void at half time at least do it well.

Surely there would be someone at the league that handles media releases as part of their job responsibilities. It isnt just the local paper, this comp needs to be promoted through results in the herald sun every Monday and an article section in inside football each week. Having the Swans involved should give us a better chance to promote the league a lot stronger than we currently do. Any funding for promotion should be made available through AFL development for the region.

If there was 2500 speactators walk through the door, I will eat my left nut! The only possible way there was 2500 people at the game would be if the same people on the gate are the ones that do the Raiders home games (at every Raiders game they report there is 13000, but officially closer to 5000!)

Worst atmosphere i have ever seen at a local Grand Final in what is supposed to be the premier day for Football in Canberra. You can blame it on the whether, DFO, whatever you want however it's beside the point. No club marquees allowed = no atmosphere!:mad: Very dissapointing day for Canberra Footy, the districts GF had a better atmosphere

On a differant note, did anyone hear the radio interview with Brett Knowles on Saturday or Sunday morning?

If there was 2500 speactators walk through the door, I will eat my left nut! The only possible way there was 2500 people at the game would be if the same people on the gate are the ones that do the Raiders home games (at every Raiders game they report there is 13000, but officially closer to 5000!)

Worst atmosphere i have ever seen at a local Grand Final in what is supposed to be the premier day for Football in Canberra. You can blame it on the whether, DFO, whatever you want however it's beside the point. No club marquees allowed = no atmosphere!:mad: Very dissapointing day for Canberra Footy, the districts GF had a better atmosphere

On a differant note, did anyone hear the radio interview with Brett Knowles on Saturday or Sunday morning?

Hi Christmas Hams, did you about the canteen running out of pies? You must have been devastated!!

Hi Christmas Hams, did you about the canteen running out of pies? You must have been devastated!!
Don't know about Hams being disappointed but I was.
Out of pies more than half and hour before the main game started.:thumbsdown:
Lucky 2500 people didn't turn up or they would have been out of footy food by half time of the ressies!!!!!!

Sorry Hams,

Missed Knowlsies Interview, was he spruiking about his awesome win loss finals record in Canberra?

Oh please CD dont get me fired up on that one again:D

And I must admit that while commentating on Sunday I did make mention of the small crowd. Easily the smallest in my time here.

1000 tops during the 1st's I reckon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh please CD dont get me fired up on that one again:D

And I must admit that while commentating on Sunday I did make mention of the small crowd. Easily the smallest in my time here.

1000 tops during the 1st's I reckon

Yeh the crowd wasnt large, but there was at least 2,500 people in attendance on one of the worst days for a GF. Interesting to note that most other club supporters were happy to see the Swans win. Any reason for this !!! Dont answer ABH (FMSDSJSI) cause it will be dribble as usual. Let others have a say.

I would say that to some, certain people on this site may cause negativity towards Belconnen.
It could be their attitude towards opposition after only 10 years at the top. Their is a fine line between arrogance and cockiness. Winning 3 flags in your history doesn't give you bragging rights over many other clubs in the ACT. I for one respect what they have achieved as a club over the last decade but certain attitudes need to be kept in check at times.

Think most opposition supporters and players would agree with most of this!!:rolleyes:

Next

What about that discraceful half time rubbish? Surely they cant be serious. The concept of having half time sprints is well proven at AFL level and it is properly contested and organised. What was put on on Sunday was an absolute joke and an insult to the specatators. Better events are put on in primary schools. If you are going to do something to fill the time void at half time at least do it well.

What about the tool masquerading as a Ground Announcer - makes FM Radio sound good!

What about the tool masquerading as a Ground Announcer - makes FM Radio sound good!
Have to totally agree with that Dome.
Everyone that was there knew footy. We don't need some idiot who thinks he knows about the game game telling us the score and other meaningless dribble.
As for barracking for the Swans, well FIM, I would find it as difficult to barrack for Belco as you would for Queanbeyan. Just too hard to do it.:D

The qbn boys let him know what they thought of him.Some of there comments were worth the admission fee alone.:thumbsu:
Lexys a w***er, love it.:cool:show us your 50 lexy.But the best of all was some one give lexy a top up player:eek:
Good to see the only thing that changes at qbn is age.:)

I've followed this thread all year but only now have decided to contribute . . . some of the quite silly "one-eyed" comments are offputting. I'm geographically a Magpies person, but go to as many ACTAFL games as I can whoever plays.

As far as the GF is concerned to an extent the result was predictable. Belco all year swung from kicking accuracy to missing the proverbial barn door - and the GF was the barn door (again). Without a CHF or FF to kick accurately, there is always a chance to roll them. They don't have a bag kicker - and haven't for a couple of years. If that can be addressed Belco will be a power again.

Re the Swans - with their AFL retirements, they will be caught short if they are relying on the listed seconds players to step up - they do not have the depth of players with the required skill and/or ablilty. Professional athletes (albeit the magoos - and even with listed player restrictions) should do better than a one point fall over the line in a regional competition. Their fitness levels, game day structures, and club infrastructure should deliver better than that.

But it was a cracker of a game!

Lexys a w***er, love it.:cool:show us your 50 lexy.But the best of all was some one give lexy a top up player:eek:
Good to see the only thing that changes at qbn is age.:)

gee great post southcab - got anything else constructive to put on this forum??????

Agree that the football could be promoted better. Clubs need to work with the league and put more pressure on media outlets like the Canberra Times. Maybe it is time for a think tank to work out ways we can all contribute to improving the image and support for this competition and the game in general. The standard is good as is the quality of player, yet we dont even rate a mention on Mondays with the national papers (winners and losers) or contribute to Inside Football in the regional section. Self promotion is the only way for it to improve. No one is going to do it for us.
Any thoughts

The football here is promoted the worst i've ever seen it. I've lived here for a while now and i'm still struggling to see any improvement at all. Wether Warky has done a good job or not, he still has done nothing to improve the exposure of the comp. Is there a media officer at AFL canberra? If there is there needs to be some questions asked.

How many full time people are at AFL canberra? Surely there has to be someone there to write things for the paper? It's not hard. For crying out loud, dozens of other leagues with far less money do it week in week out. There are so many avenues that could be taken to get the profile of the comp up. There's a lot of good things about this league but it's not advertised at all.

I've seen around 5 tv ads in my time here, and i don't even buy the local papers here because it's a waste of money if i'm buying it to read about the footy. I've been involved in media for a while now and it appalls me at how little promotional work is done.

There is so much potential but so little desire it seems.

The football here is promoted the worst i've ever seen it. I've lived here for a while now and i'm still struggling to see any improvement at all. Wether Warky has done a good job or not, he still has done nothing to improve the exposure of the comp. Is there a media officer at AFL canberra? If there is there needs to be some questions asked.

How many full time people are at AFL canberra? Surely there has to be someone there to write things for the paper? It's not hard. For crying out loud, dozens of other leagues with far less money do it week in week out. There are so many avenues that could be taken to get the profile of the comp up. There's a lot of good things about this league but it's not advertised at all.

I've seen around 5 tv ads in my time here, and i don't even buy the local papers here because it's a waste of money if i'm buying it to read about the footy. I've been involved in media for a while now and it appalls me at how little promotional work is done.

There is so much potential but so little desire it seems.
Mate the issue is not whether they can get someone to write something, its getting the Canberra Times to actually run it. My opinion is that while the league does need to get better in this area, surely the clubs need to get more proactive in terms of feeding stories/info to the papers/radio etc, as well as taking responsibility for getting more people to the games through internal promotions. That said, its criminal the clubs cant have their own tents up at the GF

gee great post southcab - got anything else constructive to put on this forum??????
Im sorry jdjt i didnt get the memo re no amusement when posting it was a comment ment in fun.
If you want something constructive lets talk about the complete lack of structure that belco showed in the gf, and lets analize if comments re half the the team going out on the piss helped the cause or showed the respect to the club or its suporters and those players that it actally ment something to.
Losing a grand final is never easy but losing this one wasnt hard at all.
The easiest games to lose are those you expect to win.
But then what would i know!!!

Re the Swans - with their AFL retirements, they will be caught short if they are relying on the listed seconds players to step up - they do not have the depth of players with the required skill and/or ablilty. Professional athletes (albeit the magoos - and even with listed player restrictions) should do better than a one point fall over the line in a regional competition. Their fitness levels, game day structures, and club infrastructure should deliver better than that.

One of the most ill-informed comments I've read on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back