AFL Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not necessarily talking about whether the player in question is successful, I am more referring the effect such a deal has on the rest of the club. Not suggesting things would be as bad as wot wonky says, but he does raise a good point re player 23 and 24.......

Wonkie or is it that Wankie.
He is starting to give our club (Maggies) a bad name with ill informed comments. Know I could be branded in the same manner some time ago but learnt a lesson not to suggest $$$$$$$ amounts for players I had no idea about nor should I have suggested anythink to do with club politics. They all vary. Sounds like Qnbos know what there doing. If they didnt they wouldnt be the club they are. His point about and he named players would suggest they should leave the club if unhappy.

ABH Im young enough to remember ando when he first traveled to have a crack with footscray and it worked for him at the tigs as it did for you.
However there has to be some thought put into wankies argument,what i mean is it is human nature to cause unrest if the truth were told only 80 % of players will be happy with the arrangement no matter how good your club unity is.
The fringe players ie no's 23 & 24 will gain some support from the 20% the first time powly is slighty off his game traveling players shouldnt get speicial treatment.
If the tigs are succesfull in 09 and i believe they will be the powers to be will be vindicated but if by some chance there not they will be cruicified.
Its a hiding to nothing i guess i have no problem with it but can see some merit in the w***ers argument.Just my thoughts for what its worth mate.
I hope it dosnt have an effect on the player depth,do you no if the player group were consulted on the travel decision ?

I wont be in the "know" as I wont be anywhere near involved as I have in the past but I can say this....If the 23rd and 24th player misses out due to Powell coming down from Sydney then wouldn't that make them want to work a little bit harder on the training track and in games to force their way into the 22??
Good performances get rewarded and the 23rd & 24th man vary from week to week. If a player is playing well in the reserves he will be promoted with or without a player flying/driving in, it has always been that way and always will.

Its just another attempt to stir the pot towards Qbn thats all

I wont be in the "know" as I wont be anywhere near involved as I have in the past but I can say this....If the 23rd and 24th player misses out due to Powell coming down from Sydney then wouldn't that make them want to work a little bit harder on the training track and in games to force their way into the 22??
Good performances get rewarded and the 23rd & 24th man vary from week to week. If a player is playing well in the reserves he will be promoted with or without a player flying/driving in, it has always been that way and always will.

Its just another attempt to stir the pot towards Qbn thats all

I agree with all you have said ABH just wanted to point out that sometimes as players we think are better than what we really are and thats not a bad thing.
As humans we are a funny bunch,have good day dude !!!:)

Yeah probably true. CHRISTMASHAMS says we are cutting payments, but you (and others) think we are spending big. You tigers seem a bit confused. WHich one is it?

Just wondering if AFC can tell us the story about Coach Chris Rouke punching on with J. Taylor at preso night. Apparently J.T. was sitting down at the time talking to other people when confronted by Chris Rouke. Chris Rourke took offence to something that J.T. had done during the year or something that J.T. had said.
He thought it was his place to make a very public scene. Apparently they had to be separated by other people who were there at the night. Very ugly scene for the senior coach. :eek:

Just wondering if AFC can tell us the story about Coach Chris Rouke punching on with J. Taylor at preso night. Apparently J.T. was sitting down at the time talking to other people when confronted by Chris Rouke. Chris Rourke took offence to something that J.T. had done during the year or something that J.T. had said.
He thought it was his place to make a very public scene. Apparently they had to be separated by other people who were there at the night. Very ugly scene for the senior coach. :eek:

Heard the same thing codola from a few of the ainslie boys who were out on the town after there preso night. What kind of culture are Ainslie building down there??

Presentation Night or Mad monday??? Or Both???

If that is true, then I would suggest that the club should have a very good look at the senior coach of the club. Irrespective of when someone made a comment and where, it is a disgrace that a senior coach would even consider a public forum to react in. If true, sponsors and parents would be appalled. Caoches sometimes need thick skins when it comes to other peoples opinions of their performances etc.

ABH Im young enough to remember ando when he first traveled to have a crack with footscray and it worked for him at the tigs as it did for you.
However there has to be some thought put into wankies argument,what i mean is it is human nature to cause unrest if the truth were told only 80 % of players will be happy with the arrangement no matter how good your club unity is.
The fringe players ie no's 23 & 24 will gain some support from the 20% the first time powly is slighty off his game traveling players shouldnt get speicial treatment.
If the tigs are succesfull in 09 and i believe they will be the powers to be will be vindicated but if by some chance there not they will be cruicified.
Its a hiding to nothing i guess i have no problem with it but can see some merit in the w***ers argument.Just my thoughts for what its worth mate.
I hope it dosnt have an effect on the player depth,do you no if the player group were consulted on the travel decision ?

Dont disagree with any of the comments, but we are talking about a quality person and an outstanding and very popular player for the club and competition. I wonder how many other clubs would take the opportunity to fly Mark Powell in to play for them. I suggest all clubs in the comp if they had the chance. He is after all a ACT rep player and All Australian Country Player 2007.

Dont disagree with any of the comments, but we are talking about a quality person and an outstanding and very popular player for the club and competition. I wonder how many other clubs would take the opportunity to fly Mark Powell in to play for them. I suggest all clubs in the comp if they had the chance. He is after all a ACT rep player and All Australian Country Player 2007.

If you are talking about flying players in does anyone remember Heath Tregear for AFC a few years back?? He was previously captain of sandringham in the VFL?

So would you fly in every ACT rep player? IMO not so sure how much weight that holds. All A country player maybe, not just an ACT rep player. check out this link and from say 2003 onwards tell me how many of them you would be prepared to fly in every weekend.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_...task=DETAIL&articleID=6133893&sectionID=54793

don't know anything about it

If you are talking about flying players in does anyone remember Heath Tregear for AFC a few years back?? He was previously captain of sandringham in the VFL?

So would you fly in every ACT rep player? IMO not so sure how much weight that holds. All A country player maybe, not just an ACT rep player. check out this link and from say 2003 onwards tell me how many of them you would be prepared to fly in every weekend.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_...task=DETAIL&articleID=6133893&sectionID=54793

Dont remeber Tregear and I certainly wouldnt fly players in just because they represented the ACT. Would never fly a recruit in unless I knew his playing background and ability in the comp he was playing in. Plenty of recruits with big reps and strong playing backgrounds have struggled for kicks in this comp. Powell however is a former AFL player who has proved he can play in this comp and that is supported by his All Australian selection. He apparently is very highly regarded by his club and is showing a great commitment and character by staying as a player after the clubs poor showing in 2008. He could easily have walked and played up in Sydney and leave the club he has served for two years searching for a replacement. Neisen was in a similar situation, known to the club, an outstanding player in the ACT comp and no doubt would have commanded better dollars by returning to Adelaide to play in 1998, instead gave a commitment and agreed to fly back each week. Flying in and out is actually very demanding and a lot more of a commitment than people realise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If my memory serves me correctly the tigs want need to fly him in for the first game as i think he still has to serve a suspensation from this season !!

Well i know his home town club Narrandera had a big crack at him and were prepared to fly him down and his fiance every second weekend. And if a club can afford it why not he is a quality player and an asset to the club. He was very close to going to Narrandera to.

Well i know his home town club Narrandera had a big crack at him and were prepared to fly him down and his fiance every second weekend. And if a club can afford it why not he is a quality player and an asset to the club. He was very close to going to Narrandera to.
Lets not forget we are talking about a bloke who through away an AFL career because he lost interest!!

Dont remeber Tregear and I certainly wouldnt fly players in just because they represented the ACT. Would never fly a recruit in unless I knew his playing background and ability in the comp he was playing in. Plenty of recruits with big reps and strong playing backgrounds have struggled for kicks in this comp. Powell however is a former AFL player who has proved he can play in this comp and that is supported by his All Australian selection. He apparently is very highly regarded by his club and is showing a great commitment and character by staying as a player after the clubs poor showing in 2008. He could easily have walked and played up in Sydney and leave the club he has served for two years searching for a replacement. Neisen was in a similar situation, known to the club, an outstanding player in the ACT comp and no doubt would have commanded better dollars by returning to Adelaide to play in 1998, instead gave a commitment and agreed to fly back each week. Flying in and out is actually very demanding and a lot more of a commitment than people realise.

Definitely can't question the commitment of a player and club willing to fly in/ out every week, and I think powell is definitely a proven player, but niesen was (still could be ABH???;)) a 100+ goalkicking forward- IMO much harder to recruit than a utility midfielder. If powell is committed to flying in every weekend and QBN are prepared to do it then thats fine. IMO you can't justify paying a bloke top $ plus flying him in when you could recruit 2 or 3 quality players with that money (especially midfielders). But i could have egg on my face if powell guides QBN through to a premiership in 2009:eek:

Also, good to see the new GM has a background in marketing and advertising! A step in the right direction!

Definitely can't question the commitment of a player and club willing to fly in/ out every week, and I think powell is definitely a proven player, but niesen was (still could be ABH???;)) a 100+ goalkicking forward- IMO much harder to recruit than a utility midfielder. If powell is committed to flying in every weekend and QBN are prepared to do it then thats fine. IMO you can't justify paying a bloke top $ plus flying him in when you could recruit 2 or 3 quality players with that money (especially midfielders). But i could have egg on my face if powell guides QBN through to a premiership in 2009:eek:

Also, good to see the new GM has a background in marketing and advertising! A step in the right direction!

Agree the GM with marketing background should be a plus. Last point on players being flown in, work the figures, it is actually cost effective in this case as opposed to sign on, employment and relocation costs for a new recruit

Good Goss Guys,

I heard about Rourke at Ainslie too, apparently after he had a fight with 3/4 of the team he went out on the piss, woke up in a bath of ice and someone had stolen his kidney.......

You blokes have to let go of it eventually.

News on the vine is Mahary has been sacked out at Belco.

Not all Rosey with the Magpies, I suppose there had to be some fallout...

He is right racehorse, was at the swans and got traded to North Melbourne, but he was over the demands of AFL football and wanted to move back to Sydney. Simple as that.

More gossip without foundation. Happen to be friends with Nth Melb player and can tell you that you are not correct

Agree the GM with marketing background should be a plus. Last point on players being flown in, work the figures, it is actually cost effective in this case as opposed to sign on, employment and relocation costs for a new recruit

could you provide your reasoning behind this? i can't see it being cheaper? Is employment a factor? Unless the club employs them it costs them nothing, just the time to find them a job. im not trying to argue, just curious.:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back