AFL Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont remeber Tregear and I certainly wouldnt fly players in just because they represented the ACT. Would never fly a recruit in unless I knew his playing background and ability in the comp he was playing in. Plenty of recruits with big reps and strong playing backgrounds have struggled for kicks in this comp. Powell however is a former AFL player who has proved he can play in this comp and that is supported by his All Australian selection. He apparently is very highly regarded by his club and is showing a great commitment and character by staying as a player after the clubs poor showing in 2008. He could easily have walked and played up in Sydney and leave the club he has served for two years searching for a replacement. Neisen was in a similar situation, known to the club, an outstanding player in the ACT comp and no doubt would have commanded better dollars by returning to Adelaide to play in 1998, instead gave a commitment and agreed to fly back each week. Flying in and out is actually very demanding and a lot more of a commitment than people realise.

And dont foget (in case you haven't read it 50 times on this site) A Bit High won the "jezza" after flying in.

And a "Cowboy Neale" and a Premiership:D

Never works that flying in stuff!!:confused:

Chin Up W*anker!!:p
well said abh, remember the offer i made for you to play at yass, well im uping the ante, we will fly you from gungahlin to yass if you are interested, although we have recruited a full forward from b.bay who kicked 103 this year, so you might have to start in the pocket, and see what happens from there. maybe a spot as assistant coach to sweeten the deal.
and wonkie, get over it, sounds like complete jealousy to me:mad:

Good Goss Guys,

I heard about Rourke at Ainslie too, apparently after he had a fight with 3/4 of the team he went out on the piss, woke up in a bath of ice and someone had stolen his kidney.......

You blokes have to let go of it eventually.

News on the vine is Mahary has been sacked out at Belco.

Not all Rosey with the Magpies, I suppose there had to be some fallout...

WTF? There was a story on their website this week about his reappointment...

could you provide your reasoning behind this? i can't see it being cheaper? Is employment a factor? Unless the club employs them it costs them nothing, just the time to find them a job. im not trying to argue, just curious.:thumbsu:

Flying a player in from Sydney to Canberra works out to be approx $4000 for 20 games. Relocation costs can include vehicle, furniture and often rental set up and assistance

Good Goss Guys,

News on the vine is Mahary has been sacked out at Belco.

Your grape vine must be pretty ******ed. The club announced his signing on presentation night. The one where he DIDN'T go round decking his own players. Unlike the coach from your mob by all accounts.

All three senior coaches at Belconnen locked in for 09. Recruits nosing around the joint. Strong U18 base pushing through to play senior footy in 09. Should be a good place to be around.

Flying a player in from Sydney to Canberra works out to be approx $4000 for 20 games. Relocation costs can include vehicle, furniture and often rental set up and assistance

Sorry racehorse, but you haven't put up a strong argument. IMO you can get 2-3 quality players for the amount of money QBN are outlining for 1. Relocation costs and rental assistance would be part of an overall contract- not outside payments such as flying someone in. Example, if the player had an overall contract worth 20,000, relocation, rent assistance, match payments etc etc comes out of that 20,000. How the contract is structured is up to the club and the player. In any case, if you could get 2 players that are proven for 20,000 each, that are at training every night then you are better ofF than with one player that costs you 35k + and can't train.

I think powell is getting a much better deal than QBN.

I was also able to find this article (not so sure how much weight it holds)
http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/local/sport/afl/title-win-in-the-wet-a-highlight/1228028.aspx

the article states "Drafted by the Swans via the Murray Bushrangers with pick no. 28 in the 2002 draft, Powell played eight games with Sydney until he was traded to North Melbourne for pick 61 in 2005.
He quit the Roos in early 2006 citing a loss of passion for football and joined the Tigers in the AFL Canberra competition last season"

Simple. He was delisted like a lot of other players. Had nothing to do with attitude or desire.

Yes he was delisted after he quit North Melbourne and moved backed to Sydney, so of course he was delisted. He was traded to North the same pre season he quit so North didnt delist him off their own bat that would just defeat the purpose of getting him 2 months earlier. You right with that now racehorse?

Have also heard the rumour about Steve Maher from sources outside of this forum. My mail is that a certain person who hasn't been there long enough to notice the decline in Jamo Oval believes that Maher doesn't have what it takes to make the tough calls. Apparently believes he is to soft with the players.
This is the same bloke who had enough time on his hands to sit down and write a letter to QBNFM complaining about some trivial comments made during their sides thumping of the Tigers at Dairy Farmers Park.

Unfortunately if this is true about Maher then he has been the scape goat for the club losing the un losable GF!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have also heard the rumour about Steve Maher from sources outside of this forum. My mail is that a certain person who hasn't been there long enough to notice the decline in Jamo Oval believes that Maher doesn't have what it takes to make the tough calls. Apparently believes he is to soft with the players.
This is the same bloke who had enough time on his hands to sit down and write a letter to QBNFM complaining about some trivial comments made during their sides thumping of the Tigers at Dairy Farmers Park.

Unfortunately if this is true about Maher then he has been the scape goat for the club losing the un losable GF!!
can you name names ABH?

Mate, he re-signed a few weeks back. He resigned yesterday. There was no sacking involved. With a young family and a fair bit of work outside footy on the go he felt that he couldn't commit the time he felt the club deserved. I just hope he sticks around as a player.

Mate, he re-signed a few weeks back. He resigned yesterday. There was no sacking involved. With a young family and a fair bit of work outside footy on the go he felt that he couldn't commit the time he felt the club deserved. I just hope he sticks around as a player.

Cant believe he's gone after being announced as Coach two weeks ago. He's been the life blood of the Magpies. There must be more to this.

3GM - you were wrong once today, maybe you will have to eat more humble pie !

I havnt been to the Club since our loss. Wonkie (Wankie) what do you know about this. You put the boots into Qnbo about their Coach and now we lose our own coach. Whats the go ?

Yes he was delisted after he quit North Melbourne and moved backed to Sydney, so of course he was delisted. He was traded to North the same pre season he quit so North didnt delist him off their own bat that would just defeat the purpose of getting him 2 months earlier. You right with that now racehorse?

Pretty sure you will find that the loss of passion had a lot to do with the move to Melbourne and his fiance/girlfriend not keen on it at all.

Greetings, one and all.

Unfortunately this isn't a message to say that photos from the Tuggeranong and Queanbeyan end-of-season functions are available for your personal viewing pleasure. It is however and invitation to a few individuals to consider how much you wish to pay me to keep particular photos off the internet, and for others to offer money to put them up! Now might be a very good time to ask yourself "Did Trosty take a photo of me while I was a little tipsy the other night...?" ;)

I've got a bunch of uni work due next week, and after that I'll get back to photos.

To all the people whom I met this year at games and especially at end-of-season functions: thank you for your kind words about my photographic skills, and for making me feel welcome at your club.

Cheers

ps Relax. I'm not going to embarrass anyone, but I do have some choice images that probably won't ever see the light of day.

www.flickr.com/photos/red3photography :thumbsu:

Your grape vine must be pretty ******ed.
All three senior coaches at Belconnen locked in for 09. Recruits nosing around the joint. Strong U18 base pushing through to play senior footy in 09. Should be a good place to be around.

Sorry Maggie, Maybe I should head off to Special School....

Magpie land sounds like a great place to be around, get me on board...:eek:

Sorry racehorse, but you haven't put up a strong argument. IMO you can get 2-3 quality players for the amount of money QBN are outlining for 1. Relocation costs and rental assistance would be part of an overall contract- not outside payments such as flying someone in. Example, if the player had an overall contract worth 20,000, relocation, rent assistance, match payments etc etc comes out of that 20,000. How the contract is structured is up to the club and the player. In any case, if you could get 2 players that are proven for 20,000 each, that are at training every night then you are better ofF than with one player that costs you 35k + and can't train.

I think powell is getting a much better deal than QBN.

I was also able to find this article (not so sure how much weight it holds)
http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/local/sport/afl/title-win-in-the-wet-a-highlight/1228028.aspx

the article states "Drafted by the Swans via the Murray Bushrangers with pick no. 28 in the 2002 draft, Powell played eight games with Sydney until he was traded to North Melbourne for pick 61 in 2005.
He quit the Roos in early 2006 citing a loss of passion for football and joined the Tigers in the AFL Canberra competition last season"

Your knowledge of player payments is amazing. How would you know what he is on. You are guessing and I can tell you incorrectly. Besides you can spend $40,000 as you put it on 2 players who can train and play. What guarantees have you that they will get a kick and be reliable. NONE

Never said the club instigated the delisting. Read the quote, "he was delisted simple as that" The reasons why and when are irrelevant. Can tell you this, his passion and enthusiasm are exactly the reason why he will fly in and play for his club next year.

Never said the club instigated the delisting. Read the quote, "he was delisted simple as that" The reasons why and when are irrelevant. Can tell you this, his passion and enthusiasm are exactly the reason why he will fly in and play for his club next year.

My mail is he will be driving down most weeks:thumbsu:

Simple. He was delisted like a lot of other players. Had nothing to do with attitude or desire.
Bending the truth a little arent you Racehorse? You would be better off sticking to what youre good at, knitting cardigans with your favourite slogon on it ..... "Go ABH Go"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back