AFL coaches think Shane Edwards is a better footballer than Cyril Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

The only others I can think of off my head are Shannon Grant in 99, Byron Pickett in 04 and Paul Chapman in 09

Not sure about the others, but I thought Paul Chapman was a goal kicking mid rather than small forward at that stage. 26 disposals and 8 inside 50s sounds like midfielder numbers to me, but if was in fact mostly forward (which wasn't my memory) then that is also a very impressive set of numbers.

It's become the opposite. Cyril is one of the best small forwards of all time but is never treated as such. Shame he retired so soon.
This ^ +1

See: St Kevin's basketballer Josh Giddey , American basketball commentariat could NOT get a handle on him because he played a different game and OKC small town market

wrt Cyril nephew Rioli, Leigh Costagna invaluable to Richmond's three flags , but NO ONE could get a handle on him ;
WHY? Traditional stats could never impute , could not demonstrate Costagna's impact on forward line of Richmond . Ted Hopkins stats did then evolve and other custom stats breakdowns , plus internal custom stats at Punt Rd.

and Costagna is not Cyril , cos never has there been a 'Choppy'Picket-like forward like birds need to have eyes
-in-the-back-of-head ... not like Pickett but nonetheless Pickett-like no Brendan Krummel .

Last edited:

If he’s got his wife/partner on the same page and not on a soap box then he has my vote. And I’m a Hawk supporter.

AFL coaches think Shane Edwards is a better footballer than Cyril Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back