Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we don't have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

List management is about preparing ahead

What if you cant get a certain ruckman?

A mature ruck means we can push Draper out for a good pick if thats what we want. If we dont have one, we probably need to over pay to keep him

You also want atleast 3-4 ruckman on the list

There’s always Rucks available on the trade market. Especially the delisted Free agent type.

In the above scenario it would be better to pay overs(picks) in a trade to get a veteran ruck in and still get the return from Draper if the priority pick was that good)

Our Ruck 4/5 of Draper, Bryan, Goldy, Wright, Viggo with a shoutout to Cox is plenty for this year and pretty well balanced.

A lot of talk about 'super draft'... I'm trying to read between the lines and I think the reason it's getting labelled as a super draft is because the gap from 1-20 is smaller than it's ever been and not necessarily the quality of the players?

Or are these players legitimately top top talents?
Interfering Richmond supporter.

I agree with your assessment here. I think that there is not any/many standout players in this draft and the gap between draftees is as you stated very small. There is no Harley Reid, JHF OR Daicos types in this draft and I’m worried my team is going all chips in to a draft that maybe signicantly overrated.
I really think the Bombers should not sell the farm to try and get back into R1 of the draft. Teams with picks are asking for way to much for their picks for the super draft, that may never eventuate.

I agree with your assessment here. I think that there is not any/many standout players in this draft and the gap between draftees is as you stated very small. There is no Harley Reid, JHF OR Daicos types in this draft and I’m worried my team is going all chips in to a draft that maybe signicantly overrated.
I really think the Bombers should not sell the farm to try and get back into R1 of the draft. Teams with picks are asking for way to much for their picks for the super draft, that may never eventuate.
Bet you can't do worse than Perkins, Cox and Reid.

I think that you might put a couple of what's currently 18, 20, 23 and 24 into next year and grab a couple of picks at the end of the draft.

We likely trade out and then back into this draft based on the number of list spots currently open. Also our pick structure has enough points without 28/31 to cover points for kako.

However, something to consider is the recent changes to the points rules next year and the likely increased demand for points among clubs (high academy kids). We could potentially plan to secure an additional future pick or two.

Having a bunch of picks next year would make us an attractive candidate for those pick splitting/ points matching.

Maybe this is something to consider if we don’t overpay to come back in.

When you look back at drafts prior, you can see that a chunk of the top 10 don't live up to expectations. This partly because not every player can be a star, but also because chance of nailing them once is a skill in itself that isn't replicated easily.

Looking back at Gold Coast when they had so many picks in the same draft people were thinking they were going to go on a dynasty. There is a reason the approach to Tasmania is different and why the AFL is looking to spread out their opportunities over multiple years than just one.

If Richmond were smart they would trade one of their picks close to the top 10, like 11 for example, for a F1 and extra in the 2nd's. They'd lessen their chance of having to nail everything at once but also be more exposed to future talent that can address other areas of the ground and chase talent that may rise in the ranks, as well as use picks in the later rounds to trade to those looking to fight off bids.

This draft isn't a "super draft" like 2001, it's more of a "even draft" in that the gap is even but weighted more to the likeness of the later picks in other drafts than the high picks they generated.

It's a good draft to build a core I think, you guys will get the chance at a top young gun over the next couple seasons.

There’s always Rucks available on the trade market. Especially the delisted Free agent type.

In the above scenario it would be better to pay overs(picks) in a trade to get a veteran ruck in and still get the return from Draper if the priority pick was that good)

Our Ruck 4/5 of Draper, Bryan, Goldy, Wright, Viggo with a shoutout to Cox is plenty for this year and pretty well balanced.
Im not worried about 2025. List management is about risk management and planning ahead

What rucks were available this year?

If Draper gets offered Band 1 money we want to feel ok not matching stupid money because we dont have a ruck, and also because we want a band 1 pick

Wright is not a ruck. Vigo is atleast 3 years away

It also doesnt mean we have to lock away Draper early, because doing so also means Bryan is much more likely to leave

When you look back at drafts prior, you can see that a chunk of the top 10 don't live up to expectations. This partly because not every player can be a star, but also because chance of nailing them once is a skill in itself that isn't replicated easily.

Looking back at Gold Coast when they had so many picks in the same draft people were thinking they were going to go on a dynasty. There is a reason the approach to Tasmania is different and why the AFL is looking to spread out their opportunities over multiple years than just one.

If Richmond were smart they would trade one of their picks close to the top 10, like 11 for example, for a F1 and extra in the 2nd's. They'd lessen their chance of having to nail everything at once but also be more exposed to future talent that can address other areas of the ground and chase talent that may rise in the ranks, as well as use picks in the later rounds to trade to those looking to fight off bids.

This draft isn't a "super draft" like 2001, it's more of a "even draft" in that the gap is even but weighted more to the likeness of the later picks in other drafts than the high picks they generated.
Think I heard somewhere that Tassie will get draft picks they have to trade for ready made players. I’m sure that won’t be the only concessions, but it might not be as hard on the rest of the clubs as GCS/GWS entry

Im not worried about 2025. List management is about risk management and planning ahead

What rucks were available this year?

If Draper gets offered Band 1 money we want to feel ok not matching stupid money because we dont have a ruck, and also because we want a band 1 pick

Wright is not a ruck. Vigo is atleast 3 years away

It also doesnt mean we have to lock away Draper early, because doing so also means Bryan is much more likely to leave
Planning ahead also means looking to develop players in a variety of positions, without tying up 3 list spots to back up a single position on the ground. Goldy is the backup (3rd backup) this year, when he goes we can find another one (or preferably start developing a new one).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we don't have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back