Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Alixander Tauru or Sam Lalor for me.
Tauru is dynamic in the air and is a competitor.
Lalor is a two zone player who unlike most of our mids can actually play forward.
My guess is Lalor will be gone by our pick.
Tauru and Kako would automatically give us speed and athleticism which we lack.
The Flying Dutchman went alright so would the Flying Viking!
I like Tauru's physicality.

Taru seems like a Ridley replacement

Looks like he will be a good player and there’s a gap for that type of player in the VFL.

I’m lukewarm on the idea because it just seems like a waste due to obvious needs in the AFL side where a first year player could come in straight away.

But also because I’m not a big believer in investing in 3rd tall types. Easiest position to find players that can make an instant impact

Taru seems like a Ridley replacement

Looks like he will be a good player and there’s a gap for that type of player in the VFL.

I’m lukewarm on the idea because it just seems like a waste due to obvious needs in the AFL side where a first year player could come in straight away.

But also because I’m not a big believer in investing in 3rd tall types. Easiest position to find players that can make an instant impact

If we are taking him as a forward then potentially yes. But spending top 10 picks on defenders is a lesson we refuse to learn.

If we are taking him as a forward then potentially yes. But spending top 10 picks on defenders is a lesson we refuse to learn.
Hmmm….I’d definitely look at Travaglia as a top 10 pick. The dash and bounce off half-back is pretty important.

Think Blakey at Swans or Weddle at Hawks.

I’m not sure what this lesson is.

I’m less bothered by it if it’s a Key Position player or elite running user (although most of those guys play mid/wing as juniors)

It’s mostly 3rd talls, Wings and small inside mids that I don’t see as much value in at the top of the draft

Hmmm….I’d definitely look at Travaglia as a top 10 pick. The dash and bounce off half-back is pretty important.

Think Blakey at Swans or Weddle at Hawks.

Travaglia is a great prospect, could play midfield or release Martin up the field. A net gain in the forward half Im happy with.

Academy bid for blakey, they used 3 selections in the 30s for him. And Weddle was pick 18. They might be worth top 10 picks but havent built via them.

Neither team has built from the depths of hell like we are. Weve spent 6 top ten picks on defenders in 16 years, 7 if you include Heppell. Its not the way out. We have drafted zero mids in the top 10, who were creativity ball users, lightning fast, forward line threats or thrived in the contest in that entire time.

Drafting defenders without the ability to protect them from an endless supply of high quality inside 50s is a recipe for development failure.

Travaglia is a great prospect, could play midfield or release Martin up the field. A net gain in the forward half Im happy with.

Academy bid for blakey, they used 3 selections in the 30s for him. And Weddle was pick 18. They might be worth top 10 picks but havent built via them.

Neither team has built from the depths of hell like we are. Weve spent 6 top ten picks on defenders in 16 years, 7 if you include Heppell. Its not the way out. We have drafted zero mids in the top 10, who were creativity ball users, lightning fast, forward line threats or thrived in the contest in that entire time.

Drafting defenders without the ability to protect them from an endless supply of high quality inside 50s is a recipe for development failure.
Parish, Melksham, and Tsatas were all taken for contest work plus Hobbs at pick 13. McGrath was picked for speed. Perkins was drafted as the forward line threat. Heppell was rated as a good kick at draft time too.

Granted the end results have been fairly ordinary but it's not like we haven't been trying to find the answer the last 16 years.

Parish, Melksham, and Tsatas were all taken for contest work plus Hobbs at pick 13. McGrath was picked for speed. Perkins was drafted as the forward line threat. Heppell was rated as a good kick at draft time too.

Granted the end results have been fairly ordinary but it's not like we haven't been trying to find the answer the last 16 years.
When I say contest I mean physicality not loose ball gets and gathers from the tap which are counted as contested possessions. None of them bar Hobbs were good in that regard, though Hobbs always had skill and speed problems as well.

Perkins barely a mid due to Sandringhams strong on ball setup. McGrath barely a mid.

I agree we tried but none of these guys are remotely star type prospects or guys you fit into system or build one around. Which is different to the defenders, most of whom could be successful and stars with the right midfield in front of them.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back