Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Any chance we could swap our future first for GC pick 12 this year?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think we’d be a chance to make that trade with one of the WA teams on draft night. Freos pick 10 or WC pick 13 (post hawks trade).

Maybe I’m crazy but I honestly think I was seeing more potential in the 2022 top ten then this group 🤷
Is there any correlation between what recruiters thought a draft year would turn out as vs how they actually turned out?

How you play is dependent on how effective your opponent is as well as how good your teammates are (and good teammates can both help or hinder). I think recruitment is doing progressively better at ranking in-year draftees but I'm not sure it is getting any better at ranking overall draft quality.

If you're looking to moneyball as a club that would appear to be the best strategy. Trade out of expected good drafts and into expected poorer ones.

Is there any correlation between what recruiters thought a draft year would turn out as vs how they actually turned out?

How you play is dependent on how effective your opponent is as well as how good your teammates are (and good teammates can both help or hinder). I think recruitment is doing progressively better at ranking in-year draftees but I'm not sure it is getting any better at ranking overall draft quality.

If you're looking to moneyball as a club that would appear to be the best strategy. Trade out of expected good drafts and into expected poorer ones.
Yeah I don’t know, it’s hard enough to pick a good player let alone assessing overall drafts etc.

I just remember thinking gee: Wardlaw, Sheezel, Ginbey, Humphrey, Phillipou, McKenzie, Cadman, Tsatas, Ashcroft…. Not to mention Hollands, Weddle, Hewett. All have a point of difference about them.

Yeah I don’t know, it’s hard enough to pick a good player let alone assessing overall drafts etc.

I just remember thinking gee: Wardlaw, Sheezel, Ginbey, Humphrey, Phillipou, McKenzie, Cadman, Tsatas, Ashcroft…. Not to mention Hollands, Weddle, Hewett. All have a point of difference about them.
And of course we ended up with Tsatas

Admire the blind faith
Blind faith would be not watching majority of his VFL performances in the back half of the year.

I’ve watched him closely, I’m confident and back him in. The way he was moving towards the end of the season was really promising. And kicking was tidy - won’t be a strength, but he’s improved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the chances Kako gets a bid before our first?
Unlikely but not impossible

Kakos been injured so shouldn’t rise much through the process, is currently predicted at 14 and NGA players tend to go later.

We should be 10-12 after shenanigans.

would be pretty mean spirited for a team above us to take him given they won’t get him and it would be solely to mess with us.

Unlikely but not impossible

Kakos been injured so shouldn’t rise much through the process, is currently predicted at 14 and NGA players tend to go later.

We should be 10-12 after shenanigans.

would be pretty mean spirited for a team above us to take him given they won’t get him and it would be solely to mess with us.

Isn’t that what we did with Mozzie and Lual? Maybe we’ve deserve it.

Pretty rich when they just got access to Windhager and Owens. Doubt they complained about that
Not really. You can disagree with an unfair system and also understand that if you dont participate while its in place, youll have no chance.

Id happily give up access to Kako if it put an end to NGA and Father son for good.

Pretty rich when they just got access to Windhager and Owens. Doubt they complained about that
Why does that mean they can't say the system is unfair? How would them accepting any assistance render their point that they get less assistance overall inaccurate? It's a non-sequitur.

The objective of the AFL has been to equalise. Maybe that's a good objective maybe it isn't but you either follow it or you don't. If the reigning premier gets effectively the no 1 pick plus a whole bunch of academy selections for a pittance it's hard to understand how the objective of equalisation is being pursued.

Simple solution. No discounts for academy or father sons. Clubs can have them if they are emotionally attached to them but they have to pay fair value. They also can't swap early picks for a whole pile of later picks to pick up magical fairy dust points. You can use whatever draft picks you had as a result of your ladder position (assuming you haven't already traded them out) but besides that, any deficit from picking a father son/academy has to come from your first pick next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back